Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-21, 6:37am

Default Suggestions for enamel and super fine sparkle powder

I am working on a hot head and just bought a small packet of lilac enamel powder and some super fine sparkle powder. I tried making a landscape bead last night and wanted to use the lilac enamel to create a field of flowers along the lower half of the bead. I used an enamel sifter and my bead simply looks like someone spilled lilac powder on it. It really isn't very pretty. I made one bead with ttransparent Moretti glass and the other with solid colors. I don't like either one. I thought I heated the enamel sufficiently. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to apply the enamel when I want to use it this way. Also, I bought some super sparkle powder and how do you apply this in a controlled precise manner. I made another landscape bead and added a raised tree and moon. I wanted to put the powder around the moon to create a shimmery effect, but it just sort of blobbed on the bead and obscured the moon and the right side of the bead. Obviously, it was too heavily applied, but that is the question. How do you control the amount and the precise location you want the sparkle powder? I appreicate your suggestions I too embarrassed to post pics of what I made. I know I can do better with your help.

Marlene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-21, 12:28pm

there are fine line enamel sifters, but they are kinda a pain because the glass has to be hot enough for the enamel to stick, but not hot enough to move, so you don't have much time to work between reheats. you could try raised stringer decoration, heat just the raised stringer without melting it in, then rolling the bead in the powder, which should just stick to the (hot) raised stringer. i think of powders more as background/texture for the most part, not details.
Old 2007-03-21, 4:05pm

How would I incorporate this into background/texture?

Old 2007-03-22, 5:56am
Viking Flame Keeper

Take a look in the S&T for JC Herrell's gorgeous beads. She posts a couple of lovlies almost every day.
Her beads are made with an enamel background, often with gradient colours. Gorgeous!

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.