No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-26, 3:10pm
Angel's Mom

Default Chili Pepper kiln error: tCL

My old faithful Jen-Ken Chili Pepper kiln is sick.

It shows an error of tCL on the screen and won't ramp up. The manual says it could be a failed heating element or a control relay. It's about 7 years old and is used once or twice a week.

Has anyone had this happen to them? How does one replace a failing heating element or control relay? Is the heating element the coil inside the kiln at the top that is visible? Is that something I can replace myself or do I need to send it back to Jen-Ken?

I tried calling Jen-Ken but no one answered.

Life is short. Melt glass!
Old 2013-09-26, 3:11pm
Loving learning

I think they may close at 4 EST, I'd give them another try in the morning. They are very nice & helpful.
Old 2013-09-26, 3:19pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb16 View Post
My old faithful Jen-Ken Chili Pepper kiln is sick.

It shows an error of tCL on the screen and won't ramp up. The manual says it could be a failed heating element or a control relay. It's about 7 years old and is used once or twice a week.

Has anyone had this happen to them? How does one replace a failing heating element or control relay? Is the heating element the coil inside the kiln at the top that is visible? Is that something I can replace myself or do I need to send it back to Jen-Ken?

I tried calling Jen-Ken but no one answered.
It's probably a relay and you can replace it yourself. You can replace the heating element yourself, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-09-26, 3:22pm
I fart diamonds

This is the replacement relay. When I ordered mine, I got them in a couple of days. At Jen-Ken, it will cost 4x as much ($15 for 1 plus shipping): http://www.newark.com/te-connectivit...58?Ntt=17M3058

Old 2013-09-27, 7:08am
Angel's Mom

Well, JenKen said it could be either the coil or the relay. One was $25, one was $15, so I got both. They said due to the age (7-8 years old) it could be either, so I decided to get both in case the other acts up. Like glass, they don't go bad sitting on the shelf, waiting to be used. With $7 priority shipping I should be back in business soon.

They were nice, Eileen. If I had been in front of the kiln at the time they would have helped me diagnose exactly which one it was, and I may call back later so I know which part to use and which to hold on to.

And a dear friend is loaning me her fiber blanket in the mean time. I love LE!!

Old 2013-09-27, 9:12am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb16 View Post
Well, JenKen said it could be either the coil or the relay. One was $25, one was $15, so I got both. They said due to the age (7-8 years old) it could be either, so I decided to get both in case the other acts up. Like glass, they don't go bad sitting on the shelf, waiting to be used. With $7 priority shipping I should be back in business soon.

They were nice, Eileen. If I had been in front of the kiln at the time they would have helped me diagnose exactly which one it was, and I may call back later so I know which part to use and which to hold on to.

And a dear friend is loaning me her fiber blanket in the mean time. I love LE!!
If you can call them back with the kiln, do that. If not, try the relay, 1st. that's usually what goes bad and it's easy to replace. I've never had to replace the coil but I've replaced 3 relays.

Old 2013-09-27, 10:34am
Angel's Mom

It's definitely the relay.

Old 2013-09-27, 11:42am
I'm meeeeelting

When replacing the relay, it's important that the wires are paired up correctly. Either draw a diagram of which goes where before taking the old relay off or do one wire at a time, switching it from old to new relay.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-09-27, 2:22pm

Mike at JenKen will walk you thru any repairs, I have even taken pictures and send them from my phone to help with what was wrong and how to fix it!

Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!
Loving life and Lampworking

Old 2013-09-27, 8:06pm
Angel's Mom

Good advice. They told me to take a picture, and then switch them over one at a time. And to unplug it first.