No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-04, 12:15pm
I'll get there!

Default etching and CZ's

I have made a ton of etched beads, and a ton with CZ's, but for some reason, I cant seem to combine the two.... 9 out of 10 beads with CZ's crack after etching, even if the bead has survived for weeks, and been subjeckted to the freezer/hot water treatment to check for stress, it still cracks around the CZ's after etching. Is this a common problem? what am I doing wrong? I use an etch cream from my local supplier, should I try some other etching liquid?
Old 2008-05-04, 12:16pm
sunscreen me baby

How odd. Are you covering the cz when etching?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-05-04, 12:17pm
I'll get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
How odd. Are you covering the cz when etching?
No, because they dont etch, so I just immerse the whole bead in the cream.
It is really odd, the last bead I made I really gave a beating to check it before I etched it, put it in the freezer, into hot water, drpped it on the floor several imes, and it was fine, then, after 10 min in the etch, millions of hairline cracks around the CZ's

Last edited by HelleAlice; 2008-06-19 at 8:57am.
Old 2008-05-04, 12:34pm
sunscreen me baby

Oh, I meant are you covering the cz before etching. But I haven't don't much etching my cz beads so now I know I didn't need to put that nail polish on, lol.

I make a lot of cz beads. I find with effetre there are some combinations that definitley crack around the cz. Amber is a big one and so is light pink. I use BE for most of my cz beads because of it. Are you using 104?

~

Old 2008-05-04, 12:47pm
I'll get there!

Kimberly: Thats what I thought at first, hence the freezer/hot water treatment. but I just cant belive it would survive that, if there were really cracks there...

SusieQ: I use 104, the bead in question is a transparent seagreen, moretti.
Old 2008-05-04, 1:36pm
sunscreen me baby

what number? I don't know of a transparant seagreen.

~

Old 2008-05-05, 3:29am
I'll get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
what number? I don't know of a transparant seagreen.
031 Pale Emerald Green

I had to do a little research, because most my colors are labled with norwegian names, wich doesnt mean much to you guys...
Old 2008-05-05, 5:07am
sunscreen me baby

ok, I was jealous for a minute there, lol

In my notes I have a set I made with 031 as a base, light pink and trans olive for the petals and they cracked around the cz's in the center of the flowers. I later tried the light pink as a petal for another set and determined that was what caused the cracking. But maybe it is both the emerald green and the light pink. I would think you should see the cracks in 031 well before etching...

~