Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-29, 9:22am

Default New tumbler - smells awful!?!

I bought a new tumbler through Harbor Freight and it has this horrible oily chemical smell that is so overpowering I can't use it in the house. My old Lortone tumbler didn't smell like that! The smell is in the rubber barrels and the machine itself, it even stays on my hands after I use it... does anyone know how to get rid of the awful smell?
Thanks in advanced for any possible help you can give me
-Kirsten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-29, 9:31am

Take it outside ASAP. You can hose it down with a pressure washer with strong detergent in the mix, or do it with a brush and lots of water. We got a large bird cage last year (made in China) that was so contaminated with pesticide in a transmission fluid carrier that the vapors from the box and cage killed our cockatiel that was in another room. I felt sick from just handling the box and packing. The stuff was oily and stayed on my hands, and required strong dishwashing detergent to remove it.
Old 2008-07-29, 9:41am

Default peee-U...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfy5 View Post
I bought a new tumbler through Harbor Freight and it has this horrible oily chemical smell that is so overpowering I can't use it in the house. My old Lortone tumbler didn't smell like that! The smell is in the rubber barrels and the machine itself, it even stays on my hands after I use it... does anyone know how to get rid of the awful smell?
Thanks in advanced for any possible help you can give me
-Kirsten

kristen
Its the rubber they use, I have an old one that still works well, Ive had it for over 5 years and it still smells. This is recycled tires that they use and it just does not go away. I keep mine in the original box. You will have to use it outside or under a patio or something for awhile until the smell mellows a little.

SL

Old 2008-07-29, 6:09pm
I think I could be a bead

I left my tumbler out for 2 months last summer. The smell was so bad in the house that it would hurt my throat from another room. It's much better now that it spent the summer out side.

Old 2008-07-29, 8:33pm
Dances With Fire

I had to laugh when I saw this. I bought one last summer too and my DH..normally a very reserved guy ...gave me hell and made me take it outside! He is usually not so sensitive : ) they do stink! It does go away a little after awhile! fortunately I dont use mine much : )

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-07-29, 8:39pm
Flame on!

Default What does tumbling do to the beads?

Ok, this is a new one tome, old hat for others, but what, exactly, does the tumbling do to the beads? i have an old tumbler from when i played with rocks. But I never thought that you could use it with beads. Lte me know...cause i have no clue
Old 2008-07-29, 9:19pm
Sheryll

Polish silver (chainmaille, PMC, etc) or use with "etch" beads kinda like beach glass.

Kirsten, Thanks for the heads up, I got one from HF as well but haven't even opened the box yet. I guess I'll plan on leaving it outside when I know the weather will be good.

Last edited by Raven Wylder; 2008-07-29 at 9:25pm.
Old 2008-07-29, 10:32pm
I speak Murrini!

Amen!!!

My daughter says my new HF tumbler smells like "Doctor's Office" and "Old People" combined (or should I say "combusted"!?!) The reek was so terrible, the Mailman wore a gas mask just to deliver it - if you can call launching it from 50 ft. (curbside) "delivery". Oh yeah, that's pretty much how they deliver all my packages - ha!

Lord in heaven, surely there must be something that can tone that horrible aroma down a bit...I'm thinking it would smell better if I rubbed it under a skunk's butt!!! Jeeze, do you think soaking it in baking soda might help?

I Googled "neutralize rubber odor" and it seems that there are a lot of products on the market that might work. "XO Neutralizer", which apparently is available at some medical supply and pet/feed stores, was recommended. Unfortunately I don't live in a rural area where I might find a pet/feed store that carries it; nor could I find a local Medical Supply place! Dang! I also found a lot of sites recommend using undiluted vinegar. Sheesh, I don't suppose it could make it smell any worse, could it? I'm going to try the vinegar - if it works, I'll be sure to post! If, in the meantime, someone discovers another solution to this problem that won't corrode or melt the rubber, please share!!!

~De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-29, 11:05pm
I'm a lilac!

That's actually one thing I HATE about Harbor Freight. Everything I've bought from them comes complete with stench. It can't be healthy.

Old 2008-07-30, 12:14am

I keep mine in the garage and tumble it there too. The smell is not as bad as it was. I keep the lid off when I am storing it keeping moisture inside of the barrel made the smell worse. It is much better now

Old 2008-07-30, 12:15am
I'll get there!

Maybe you can soak it in water with vinegar. Thats what I do with stuff that smells around here.