No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-04-08, 7:04pm
honorary bead lady

Default Plan or Wing it

After reading the "What do you consider a good day" thread.

When you go to torch, do you have a plan on what style bead you are going to make? A plan on colors? etc. Especially if you don't have a signature bead.

OR

Do you just wing it and start making?
Old 2009-04-08, 7:19pm
No Problem!

It's taken years to be able to get myself to actually do it, but in general if I have a plan for the day it allows me to organize my bench properly and get the necessary prep done so things go together smoothly..it's not what happens everyday but it's always kind of nice when it goes that way.
At least thinking about what colors you're going to work with can make a big difference in how many things you're happy with when the kiln cools down.
Just yesterday I put up a color wheel at my bench and it made an incredible difference in my day...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Beau & Shani)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-08, 7:22pm
Life is change. Love it

I have a plan. I don't always stick to the plan, but the intention is there!

Old 2009-04-08, 7:24pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Most days I'm not in the mood to do production work, so I just wing it - whatever color rods look good that day, I put em on the table and improv from there. I've gotten some very good and some amazingly rancid results doing this, but it's always interesting...

*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2009-04-08, 7:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
After reading the "What do you consider a good day" thread.

When you go to torch, do you have a plan on what style bead you are going to make? A plan on colors? etc. Especially if you don't have a signature bead.

OR

Do you just wing it and start making?
Yes

Old 2009-04-08, 7:36pm
Unmedicated since '62

i try to plan but it never seems to work........

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-04-08, 7:44pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Talking

I choose my colors and lay them out the night before. Sometimes I have a basic idea of what I want to do, but even then I let the glass ultimately decide. Sometimes I have four or five different color schemes that I want work with, but often, after one or two beads, I don't end up following the plan. It seems that most of the time, the glass just has different ideas and will take me in a totally different direction. For instance, two weeks ago, I came across a four color combination totally by accident. I ended up making several beads with these colors and they turned out to be just awesome. I layed these four colors out to work with again this week. I've torched for 8 hours on Monday, Tuesday, and today, and have yet to pick up those four colors. But, I'm just thrilled with what I produced so far this week, so OH WELL !!! LOL - maybe next week !!

Old 2009-04-08, 9:04pm
No Problem!

When it comes to "good days" and not so good days for me it evolves and cycles like this;
1. a good day spent working on new ideas and/or experimenting. = Not much plan just following the muse and having fun learning.
2. A good day spent improving and producing some established ideas/designs previously introduced by the muse. = Forethought and opportunity to plan.
or
3.Just one of those funked up off days where I just wasn't feeling on and usual things were unusually difficult. = Shrug it and try again tomorrow.

Maybe it's just me but I find that I have to be in the mood to mess with certain designs. so I've found that if I'm in the mood I try to make more than one because it may be awhile before the mood strikes again..
Oh and definitely if you're sick of the plan by all means make something else
The whole planning the day thing is something I think about often and have for years...I have a tendency to jump around a lot throughout the day and I've just noticed a different level of improvement if I stick within a criteria before moving on to something else, you can gain more insight into the minutia of techniques and pick up a rhythm that way.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-04-08, 9:14pm
state-eternal change

I make a list, check it twice, lay out my rods and go to it. Then my totally distracted nature takes over and I do my best to get back to my list. If you're in a distracted mood, try to at least keep a list of what you used in the bead, so if you like how it turned out, you can replicate if need be.

Old 2009-04-08, 10:10pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I usually get really excited about a specific color of glass.
Then I bring it over to the mess of a desk and start trying
that color-du-jour on all the other colors lying there.
Last week, I was spazing on Blue exotic. The week before I
was seeing how many different things I could layer with warm yellow.

I love the days I can pull my shiz together and clean up/layout
my area for serious work, but mostly, I just play and let the ideas
flow.

Which, by the way, is COMPLETELY opposite to how I do metalworking
and wirewrapping. My area has to be completely clear, and I have a
definite idea of what I will be doing.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-04-09, 4:19am
BeadsonCypress

I plan, lay out sample beads.pull the glass and then........I end up experimenting and the plan goes out the window.....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-04-09, 4:46am

Plan.... what's that?

Old 2009-04-09, 5:50am
drinks pickle juice

I usually have a goal in mind, be it focals for pendants, earring sets, etc. I like to have in mind what I want to make with the beads. Colors depends on my mood for the day. Even if I fully intend on making pink beads, if I am not feeling the pink it just doesn't work. And I have random days where it is like I have earring-bead-juju going. So I just go with the flow! Some days I even get obsessed with a specific color, one day EVERY bead I made had jungle twilight in it.
Old 2009-04-09, 8:05am
honorary bead lady

I should have made this a poll
Old 2009-04-09, 9:48am
one day at a time

I do a lot of made to order sets for Etsy, so I have an assignment list where I make them and check off as I go.

It's been a while since I sat down to make whatever comes to mind, and I can only hope that after this weekend of getting caught up, I can go back to that. I need to put stuff on Ebay, I've been MIA from there for a while!
Old 2009-04-09, 9:53am

I usually have a game plan. Pick out the glass and anything else that I need. Then by the third bead I have forgotten what the plan was.
I just try to relax and enjoy myself!
Beth
Old 2009-04-09, 10:26am
I'll get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsoncypress View Post
I plan, lay out sample beads.pull the glass and then........I end up experimenting and the plan goes out the window.....
Thats how I do it too. I have a pile of lists of beads that I never made
Old 2009-04-09, 11:48am
I speak Murrini!

When I make beads like this, I PLAN, PLAN, PLAN! There's no option to stop and mess around with trying to find something:

When I do spacers, organics or have no specific "end result" in mind, I just wing it! But since my time is limited - and my mind is always conjuring ideas - this almost never happens!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-04-09, 2:36pm
Slowbie and loving it!

I generally have something in mind to try, but invariably get sidetracked.

Vicki
Old 2009-04-09, 3:05pm
Lampworkaholic!

I have a lot of time when I'm not making beads (such as when I'm at work and in the middle of the night when I can't sleep) and my mind will fill with ideas of new beads I want to try making. As soon as I can get torch time, I'll start out with those ideas. But inevitably, I'll be sitting at the torch, looking at the rods on my table and thinking, what do I want to do next? If nothing instantly inspires me, I will just start making spacers or twisties or frit beads. Usually if I'm doing something, other ideas will pop into my mind. But it's not uncommon for me, mid-bead, to be rummaging in my stash for a color I need to finish the bead and hopefully finding it before the bead cracks from thermal shock.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-04-09, 3:06pm
Yeah me!

I try to plan but the best I can do is "Today I will make sets" or focals, etc. I never plan colors or styles, even if I did ADD would hit and I would forget!

Old 2009-04-10, 1:18am
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
I should have made this a poll
you would have had to specify options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
I usually get really excited about a specific color of glass. [...]
I've been thinking for weeks now that I want to make beads with all my different transparent violets, purples, lilacs, etc.

Would be nice if the weather would finally cooperate.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-04-10, 10:11am

I rarely have a plan. Maybe that's why I just put along, learning a little bit as I go. 'Course, then again, I'm the type that sews without a pattern.

Art (and beadmaking) to me is just fun stuff. I guess that's also why I'm an elementary teacher rather than an art teacher. I love art, I just can't be disciplined enough.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2009-04-10, 10:14am
Scientific Glass Girl

if i don't have a plan, i don't make as much as i want/need to and therefore i am angry with myself. i'm really hard on myself, as much as i would not like to be, i am.

last summer i painted the wall in front of my bench bright orange and green. i now have lists of bead styles and color combos and pep talk written in sharpie all over one side of it.. just so i can keep my shit together.

Old 2009-04-10, 7:35pm

I'm a total wing it kind of gal! I don't even have a plan when I start a bead...just flying by the seat of my pants all the time ;-D Samma

Old 2009-04-10, 8:42pm
I like to melt things

I wing it in terms of what I actually create, but I have a definite plan for what glass will go into it.

I am only allowed to use ten colours at a time, and I have to use them all together for at least eight sessions before I'm allowed to mix it up again. It can be a little frustrating, but on the whole, it's much more rewarding than it is frustrating because you're more likely to discover something new or try a new technique when you're bored and trying to change it up.

I just finished session #4 with my second go at this, and I'm convinced that it's the right way for me to do things. Different things work for different people And I don't have any production work since I'm such a raw newbie, so I can indulge my anal-retentiveness.

My wife has already chosen my next palette for me to save me the trouble, so I'll just swing into that after I wrap up my last session with this one. I honestly think this helps me to be more creative, but it might just be the funny way my brain works.

-
-
Old 2009-04-11, 6:42am
Mary Lockwood

If I need money, I plan.

If I'm on the torch just because I want to- I wing it.

Old 2009-04-11, 6:51am
Looking to Learn

never have a plan. i plan everything in my life except beads. i just kind of see what happens.
Old 2009-04-11, 7:25am

I start with a plan. Then 30 seconds into the session, I'm winging it! I have better results when I torch just because I want to and not because I think I have to get a particular bead style made.
To each his own!
Beth
Old 2009-04-11, 7:55am
honorary bead lady

This has been very interesting!
I only brought it up because my wife comes out to the shop and always asks me what I'm making, my usual response is "I don't know" and she says "you don't have a plan?"