Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-06-30, 8:03pm
Bernhard Riegler

Question good black for backing

I am looking for a good black to use as backing. I have used black raven from GA, but It will not flow easy and it likes an oxydising flame not to discolor.
Now, I am wondering if any of you could recommend a black that flows easy and doesn't need heaps of oxygen . . . and it should be a nice deep black. I want to use it as backing for silver fumed pendants. So far I used blue brilliant from GA, because it flows, doesn't bubble, doesn't burn and doesn't discolor - a very nice color to work with - easy. Is there such a black??????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-30, 8:35pm

I use Black Violet from GA--melts smoothly and works well for pendants.

Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Old 2010-07-01, 12:47am
Harold Williams Cooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekura View Post
Is there such a black??????
No.

The good news is that the problem is yours and not the black's.

Keep working with the raven. Yes, it's thick but it is a very opaque back; black violet, black walnut and what ever else you could use, those run to the transparent side of things.

I think what you could be looking for is the right flame, the correct setup/approach for backing, the perfect timing and the confidence that comes from experience. With that you could use any thick black, not just GA's raven.

For black backs on clear lens fume pendants, raven would be my go to color.

Good luck. Post some pics.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-07-01, 4:06am
ManBearPig

For applications where it's going to be thick or there is something behind it (like the backs of marbles) I use GA Black Violet. It's like Moretti black in that it's a really dense purple. But, if it's not too thin, it looks black. It's very stable in the flame and not sensitive to flame chemistry, so I use it whenever I can.

If it's going to be on the back of a pendant or something where you run the risk of it being translucent if it gets too thin, I use NS Onyx.

Old 2010-07-01, 5:35am
Pyromaniac

I really like backing pendants with fine NS onyx or jet black frit. Just dip, melt in, and repeat until you're happy. I like to do a dip in blue moon before my final dip in onyx, it gives a great organic speckled look to the back of the pendant. Although it takes several dips to get the backing opaque, it's so much easier for me than struggling with melting a big wad of color in. My opinion may change now that I'm on tanked oxy - but from what you've said, perhaps you have some oxy issues as well.

Good luck (and post pix)

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-07-01, 6:25am

I like Jet. A lot.

Old 2010-07-01, 6:31am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

NS Onyx for me.

Old 2010-07-01, 8:18am
Harold Williams Cooney

^^^^ The use of fine frit or powder rather than rod for the back is a good tip.

Old 2010-07-01, 7:20pm

Jet is my favorite black.
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2010-07-02, 7:45am
Lampworker

black violet is the best

but i have been using raven fine frit too for large projects.

i heard GA is working on a hybrid of raven and BV....works like bv but with the density of raven....hope they figure it out soon.
Old 2010-07-03, 6:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post
Jet is my favorite black.
ro
mine too
Old 2010-07-03, 7:50am
Attack of the Snuggie!

Use jet black powder back a pendant in seconds.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2010-07-03, 5:52pm
Piper.

i have a thing for Ninja.
Old 2010-07-05, 7:29pm

What about Chinese black? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 2010-07-05, 7:32pm
Harold Williams Cooney

It's a great color, good for backing, but in this case I would still use Raven or Jet or Ninja or whatever else.

Old 2010-07-05, 8:51pm
Borovangelist

Blacks just tend to be stiffer don't they? Except for borostix black, most of them, for me at least, tend to be less fluid than blues or reds.

Oh, and I really wouldn't recommend borostix black to back with. I'm kind of soured on it overall really after another project where I used a lot of it, but I do still use it from time to time.

|
|
Old 2010-07-05, 10:55pm

I like onyx
Old 2010-07-05, 11:02pm
Harold Williams Cooney

Shit. There's a lot of blacks in boro. I should count . . . .

Old 2010-07-06, 1:18am
Dakine glass man

I have used Raven, Jet, black violet. black green, and china black.......Hands down onyx is the best i've used as far as it's resistance to reduction and saturation. Only drawback it that is STIFF, I do however LOVE the new china black although i have heard that some have issues with it checking (never me personally) It is so soft when you work it, almost feels like a stiff soft glass and it is pretty highly saturated, but will wash out used really thin.

but to answer your question onyx should suit you well

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2010-07-06, 2:24am

I use Jet or Onyx (just started using Onyx and it's nice). I tried the China black for a while, but I'm one of the folks that noticed that pieces would crack later on. One batch I got worked great, the next batch was crack and fracture.
Old 2010-07-06, 4:15am
Mandrel Slayer

Onyx for me too.

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2010-07-06, 5:45am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

onyx

Old 2010-07-06, 7:10am
Pyromaniac

onyx and jet black.
I also like Momka's Black Rose; very creamy.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-07-06, 7:27am
Harold Williams Cooney

Okay, okay. I'm doing it. Let me know what I'm missing.

List of 33 COE blacks or other colors that can pass as black

Completely Opaque
GA Raven
NS Onyx
NS Jet Black
NS Ninja
NS Black Hole
TAG Jack Black
Boro Sticks Black
China Black

Concentrated Transparents
MP Black Rose
GA Black Violet
GA Black Walnut
GA Blue Black
GA Cobalt 6
GA Cobalt 5
GA Grape
NS Turbo Cobalt
NS Turbo Amethyst
NS (?) Black Green

Last edited by HWCGlass; 2010-07-08 at 8:29am.
Old 2010-07-06, 7:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
List of 33 blacks
Looks like 11 blacks to me

Old 2010-07-06, 8:52am

Jet is by far my favorite to use in just about any application. That color has come a long way. It's smoothness is hard to top in boro blacks

Old 2010-07-06, 3:48pm
formerly Marella

I like NS Onyx myself, and find it stiff...

...this one is backed with Turbo Amethyst....even to the brightest light it looks black to my eye

~
~
~
Old 2010-07-07, 7:06am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
Okay, okay. I'm doing it. Let me know what I'm missing.
Momka Black Rose

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-07-07, 8:54am
ManBearPig

I've used Jet in the past, but it's so stiff that it doesn't always work well for me. It does stay black no matter how thin it is though...

Old 2010-07-07, 11:15am

I love the Asian black I get from ABR. Melts easily, doesn't bubble and it's inexpensive!