Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-29, 2:16pm

Default Pandora/Troll question

I have a request for beads to fit a Pandora bracelet but I'm unsure about the exact hole size. I remember 5 mm from long ago when they first appeared, is that correct ?
Thanks

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2011-12-29, 4:06pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I've read so many threads on this subject and this is what I've come up with. I've never been able to measure a Pandora bracelet with a calipers to verify this.

The hole to fit over the bracelet needs to be over 4.37mm.

Mandrel is 5/32 if you're doing uncored beads.

I have heard that you use a 3/16 mandrel for cored beads, but I guess that depends on the thickness of the metal tubing?

The numbers I heard for tubing are:
Outer Diameter .24 inch/6.09mm and Inner Diameter .21 inch/5.1mm.

Hope this helps a bit. I hope someone can confirm these numbers for you (us).

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-12-29, 4:45pm

Pandora and Biagi need 4.37 inner diameter tubing for a fit that is like the trademarked Pandora beads. A 3/16th mandrel for core lined beads and a 5/32nd if not lining.

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-12-29, 5:00pm

Oh, yes, and Ginko sells the tubing!

Ginko, is this the tubing we should use with those mandrel sizes?

(I am in no way related to Ginko and I actually have never even bought anything from her. YET! )

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-12-29, 8:41pm
Alaska Boro

Have been using STTB27x5MM which comes in one foot pieces. Sterling Silver Tubing, 5.08mm OD X .014 WALL min 4.37mm ID from Indian Jewelry Supply.

Cost is $21.73 per foot for the silver tube. i.e. about ten dollars a foot less than Ginko.

Using a 3/16 inch stainless mandrel. The hole size can be controlled by the amount of release added. If too small use a diamond burr from Widget Supply at $1.29 each ($1.06 in packs of 6) to enlarge the bead hole if needed.
Old 2011-12-29, 9:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
Oh, yes, and Ginko sells the tubing!

Ginko, is this the tubing we should use with those mandrel sizes?

(I am in no way related to Ginko and I actually have never even bought anything from her. YET! )
Yes, that is the size. I have it in silver, brass, copper, and aluminum. Thanks for mentioning it.

Good news is silver has dropped in price. The shipment waiting for me to return from vacation should be less.

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-12-31, 9:50am

Thanks guys

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-01-02, 7:28am

Now there's a second part to that question: if I want to sell them on Etsy, what should I be aware of re: Pandora or other brand name protection ?

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-01-02, 10:20am
SCIENCE Teacher!

There have been several threads in the bathroom on this subject. It seems to me that Etsy will make you change or remove it if you use the brand name anywhere in your listing, even though it should be legal to say "fits a Pandora style bracelet". I haven't tried it, that's just what I read here.
Old 2012-01-03, 11:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
Yes, that is the size. I have it in silver, brass, copper, and aluminum. Thanks for mentioning it.

Good news is silver has dropped in price. The shipment waiting for me to return from vacation should be less.
PRICE OF SILVER GOING DOWN!!!! YIPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Last time I ordered the silver tubing, I almost fainted! This is GOOD news!

Old 2012-01-03, 2:55pm

Silver's up about a buck today from a couple days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
PRICE OF SILVER GOING DOWN!!!! YIPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Last time I ordered the silver tubing, I almost fainted! This is GOOD news!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-02-01, 1:54am

Quote:
I've read so many threads on this subject and this is what I've come up with. I've never been able to measure a Pandora bracelet with a calipers to verify this.

The hole to fit over the bracelet needs to be over 4.37mm.

Mandrel is 5/32 if you're doing uncored beads.

I have heard that you use a 3/16 mandrel for cored beads, but I guess that depends on the thickness of the metal tubing?

The numbers I heard for tubing are:
Outer Diameter .24 inch/6.09mm and Inner Diameter .21 inch/5.1mm.

Hope this helps a bit. I hope someone can confirm these numbers for you (us).
Ok I'm completely confused about this now
I put a bunch of BHB's I'd made in a gallery for sale, they were made on what I thought were there right size mandrels to fit those kind of bracelets, (I've never actually seen one) but the owner emailed me yesterday to say someone with a Pandora bracelet tried some and they wouldn't fit over the clasp!!
So I measured my mandrels and bead holes, these are uncored beads, the mandrels are 4mm or maybe 3.9mm which I believe is 5/32, and the holes slightly bigger from bead release, but here you say the hole needs to be bigger than 4.37mm so then 5/32 would be too small??
Inches to mm is does my head in!
Ahhhh, help?

Old 2012-02-01, 7:29am
Living Life Creatively

To fit over an authentic Pandora bracelet opening, you definitely need to use a 3/16th mandrel. That's the only size I use for all my big hole beads, whether I core them or not, so I know they fit on any type of the popular charm bracelet brands. Hope that helps!
-
-
-
Old 2012-02-01, 8:27am

Same here. I first used the 5/32 mandrels but even
uncored some beads didnt fit. So i now use the 3/16 exclusively!

Piranha, 5 lpm Oxy Con & Propane
Hot Head (its what started all this)
Old 2012-02-01, 12:17pm

Ok, that is great help thanks guys. Guess I need to buy some bigger 3/16 mandrels.

Old 2012-02-01, 1:58pm

I think 3/16" mandrels only come in one size: 3/16".

Sorry, I just had to say it. I'm feeling a bit squirrelly this morning, laughing at oddball stuff like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminous View Post
Ok, that is great help thanks guys. Guess I need to buy some bigger 3/16 mandrels.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-02-01, 2:26pm
burnin' glass just becuz

i use the 5/32 mandrels, it gives a nicer, tighter fit to the beads (uncored) IMO - esp. for those who like the smaller sized Pandora-style beads. I find the 3/16 hole (uncored) is way too big and leaves a gap that can show around the other charms.

with 5/32 mandrel - difference is the thickness of your bead release. i used to double dip but found the sizing was too inconsistent so now i single dip and ream out each bead to fit properly on the bracelet. I have an authentic Pandora bracelet to test each bead before selling.

That said, i've found some of the the new leather Pandora bracelets have ends that are a bit bigger than the standard silver ones so i've had to adjust my sizing up slightly.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-02-01, 7:43pm

Quote:
I think 3/16" mandrels only come in one size: 3/16".

Sorry, I just had to say it. I'm feeling a bit squirrelly this morning, laughing at oddball stuff like this.
Haha, yeah I noticed that when I read my sentence back too.

BUT I am still confused whether 3/16 is actually 4.5mm, 4.76mm or 4.9mm

Anyway I just called the local steel place since I already made a glass order this week and they have some 3/16 rod in 4 metre lengths for $2.70 per metre, so I'll get more than ten mandrels for around ten bucks, (instead of $4.00 each- probably only relevant to other kiwi's)
well I'll try some, thought about just thickening up the bead release too but maybe I'll end up coring some as well.

Old 2012-02-02, 6:30am

To fit pandora the inner diameter has to be 4.4 mm. The mandrelsize 3/16" is 3/16 *2,54cm = 4,76mm. IMO 5/32 is to small or you'll have to dip very thick in release.

Visit my Etsy:

Visit My ebay:
Old 2012-02-02, 2:28pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminous View Post

BUT I am still confused whether 3/16 is actually 4.5mm, 4.76mm or 4.9mm
^ lol this is exactly why I don't make any, just when I think I have it figured I do not.
Old 2012-02-04, 10:21am
Critter Mom

It is confusing, and digital calipers are so sensitive that just having your mandrel slightly tipped will give you a different reading. I use only 3/16 inch mandrels for my BHB's and using my digital calipers they measure 4.77mm (undipped) and 5.55 after one coating of bead release (dried)...I only measured one dried mandrel.

The holes in my beads after cleaning, I measured 5 of them, vary slightly. They range from the high 5.3's to the low 5.6's and I'm sure this is caused by slight differences in the thickness of my bead release.

Old 2012-09-24, 5:10pm

Where do you all buy your 3/16 mandrels....please! Thanks!

Old 2012-09-25, 1:15pm

Quote:
Here is where I get mine.

I love Frantz!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-09-25, 3:39pm

I use both sizes and it's like playing the slots as to which will fit the coring. I core the ones that will and leave the others uncored because the hole is too big. If the hole is too big it'll still fit on the bracelet. Too much work to try and make the hole bigger with my dremel. A lot of it really depends on the thickness of your release. If I was smart I would dip the smaller mandrel while release is thicker and then add a bit of water before dipping the larger mandrels. (making mental note here) I've tried a really thin coat on the bigger one ones and it always cracks while I'm making the bead.
Out of about 12-15 mandrels I probably get around 6-8 that I can use each session but most of that is due to the crappy ugly beads I'm very proficient at making. LOL

Edited to add: I don't core mine per se, I use sterling silver rivets with E6000 glue. I soaked 6 beads in 100% acetone for 1-3 hours before I could pry them out. They measure 5mm. So if I can get them to fit the bead it will fit the bracelet.
Also, I use "Pandora" and "Trollbeads" in my listings and I haven't had any problems so far.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell

Last edited by Donna T.; 2012-09-25 at 3:42pm.
Old 2012-09-25, 5:52pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Found that a local supplier of steel was the least expensive. For 12 feet of 3/16 304 stainless rod the cost is $4.48. That comes out to 28 cents per 9 inch mandrel in comparison to $1.67 each from a lampwork supplier. Prices will vary with location and SS grade, etc.
Old 2012-09-27, 5:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Found that a local supplier of steel was the least expensive. For 12 feet of 3/16 304 stainless rod the cost is $4.48. That comes out to 28 cents per 9 inch mandrel in comparison to $1.67 each from a lampwork supplier. Prices will vary with location and SS grade, etc.
LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!! Thanks!

Old 2012-09-27, 5:40am

and THANK YOU Lyssa! I think of Frantz for glass but not for tools...I'll check it out now! It's always an option.

Old 2012-10-09, 11:58pm

Luminous, how did you cut your rod? I got a price form the steel supplier here (perth)that to sell and cut me 12 rods, 10 inches long will be $77. I didnt ask them how much just to buy the rod and cut it myself but i sure want to pay your price. Anyone else? I have a medium bolt cutter...
Old 2012-10-11, 1:09am

Sangita
I don't think a bolt cutter would do it, I used our regular old hack saw, just measure the length with an old mandrel and mark with vivid then stick the rod in the bench vice (or get someone to hold it for you) and saw off the end. We have a bench grinder I used to smooth off the rough edges but a file would work for that too.
You might try calling some other steel or welding supply places for a better price, I'm sure you should be able to find as cheap in Perth as I got in NZ

Old 2012-10-11, 5:16pm
I fart diamonds

A bolt cutter will work. You'll need to grind the ends after cutting.