No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-24, 10:41am
RAH!

Default Dollhouse Miniatures

I have a family member who is really proud of her 1/12 scale dollhouse, and there's an occasion coming up that will warrant a gift- and i'd like to try and make something for her. But I have no ideas on what, or how!??

I could try goblets/glasses.. but am not sure how (off-mandrel isn't my strong point)

I could do on-mandrel bottles (but they wouldn't have labels, so wouldn't be very exciting)

Any other ideas? I could stretch to a bit of wire wrapping, or felting, if you've got ay really clever ideas that include those.
Thanks, Charli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Now with stock! And useful photography!)

Last edited by Charli!; 2014-04-24 at 10:43am.
Old 2014-04-24, 10:56am
Lifelong Student

What about a chandelier?
Old 2014-04-24, 2:05pm
Shelarious

If you have a skillset with polymer clay and feel like branching out, there are tons of good techniques out there, and tutorials, to make dollhouse miniatures. It's a whole subculture.

Here's one of my favorite artists: http://petitplatbysk.blogspot.com/

Old 2014-04-24, 2:19pm

I've done cocktails on mandrel, little tiny margaritas, that sort of thing. No pictures though. Loco did beer in mugs or purses for some of her Alienphants that were adorable.
Little shoes?

Old 2014-04-24, 5:51pm

I used to make little miniature candy canes for my mom's mini house, christmas version.

Laurie

Old 2014-04-24, 11:01pm
Naysayer

little flower pots? vases, wreathes?

bshelle that link is cool!
Old 2014-04-28, 2:16pm
RAH!

All that polymer clay stuff is gorgeous! And I do still have all that polymer clay, from back before glass....

I really like the chandelier idea (thanks Mina!), so I might have a play with that tomorrow- I might have accidentally been to ikea earlier to look at their lights for inspiration.

(Now with stock! And useful photography!)
Old 2014-04-28, 11:42pm

I do glass and dollhouse minis, the Venn junction is a lot of fun.

bottles are great on mandrel; start by creating the contents in one color glass, then wrapping in "bottle" colored glass. You can even make bottles that are half full (or half empty, depending on your viewpoint) by making half the "contents" of clear glass. Paper labels can be printed. I've been working on making a '60s bar, and have recreated a bunch of liquor bottles, and resized downloaded labels in photoshop.

There are tiny lights that can slip inside a bead made on a large mandrel (doesn't have to be as big as Pandora) to create beautiful Venetian style lamps.

Plant pots; I used an uncoated mandrel and left it in the glass pot, cut it off to make the trunk of a topiary tree. Or remove the mandrel and use the hole to support a plant.

Vases, pitchers, sculptures are all fun. Remember that you don't really have to fill bottles and vases, so they don't have to be hollow. Try to keep the lip as thin as possible; the scale should be 1/12th of real size, so glass that's 1/16th of an inch in real life should be only 1/192nd of an inch in miniature.

I would love to make a murano-style chandelier in mini (or, heck, life size) but don't have the skill or patience to bend the glass tubes for arms. http://www.cinderellamoments.com/201...-tutorial.html is a tutorial on building a basic chandelier that you could decorate with flamework elements.

Am I rambling yet?

Last edited by steiconi; 2014-04-28 at 11:44pm.
Old 2014-04-29, 12:54am

I bet you could make small chairs and such out of glass, I have made rocking chairs for doll houses. but i bet you can make small grandfather clocks and all kinds of funiture.
Old 2014-04-30, 4:05pm

OK, just one more thing...
How does your relative relate to her/his minis?
for instance, some miniaturists just love anything tiny or clever
some play with and rearrange them over and over, so they need to be sturdy
and some (the best ones, of course, like me) want items that are realistic scale versions of full size items, so if you take a picture, you can't tell if it's 3 feet or 3 inches tall.

If your relative is in the third category, she might admire a glass chair, but she'll probably never use it.
Old 2014-05-01, 10:43am
Back to 👊 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
(the best ones, of course, like me) want items that are realistic scale versions of full size items, so if you take a picture, you can't tell if it's 3 feet or 3 inches tall.
I once saw a working 1/12 scale microscope, awesome!

Lemme see if i can find a pic. Apologies for the possible derail.

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb