No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-19, 4:28am
More glass...more glass..

Default Cracking around CZs after etching

I made three beads recently with CZs embedded in a transparent color and then etched them. A few days later I noticed that there was a thin layer of glass cracking/flaking off in a circle around the CZs. I do not encase my CZs so I'm starting to think maybe some etch-all was caught around the edges??

Any tips on how to do this and have them survive?

Thanks!
edz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( Nothing available right now )

(Nothing available right now)
Old 2008-06-19, 5:15am
Resident hippie

When I etched a goddess bead I put some plain white paper glue over some bits I didn't want to etch. Maybe if you cover the CZs before you etch them they would be safe. The glue just rubs off easily after etching. I'm a newbie so I'm not claiming expert status!

Beadanna
Old 2008-06-19, 8:19am
I'll get there!

I have also had huge issues with this. I thought it was the colour I was using, but maybe it more to it than taht. Give me a minute and I'll find the thread.
Old 2008-06-19, 8:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
When I etched a goddess bead I put some plain white paper glue over some bits I didn't want to etch. Maybe if you cover the CZs before you etch them they would be safe. The glue just rubs off easily after etching. I'm a newbie so I'm not claiming expert status!

Beadanna
Thanks, but I really want to etch the whole bead. The CZ itself doesn't etch in the etch-all. If I use glue as a resist around the CZ, I would end up with a shiny area around it and that's not what I was going for.

Thanks though!
edz

Old 2008-06-19, 8:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelleAlice View Post
I have also had huge issues with this. I thought it was the colour I was using, but maybe it more to it than taht. Give me a minute and I'll find the thread.
I don't think it's color related as all three beads used different color transparents.

I'm thinking about sandblasting instead, but I'd hate to ruin the finish on the CZ. Anyone know how CZs hold up to sandblasting? (On second thought, I think I'll just shove one of the bad beads in there to find out ! )

edz

Old 2008-06-19, 8:58am
I'll get there!

The beads I was making that cracked after etching were moretti 031 Pale Emerald Green
here's the thread
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=90735