Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-07-09, 12:35pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by meitali View Post
well, from what i understand and have been told all along the 2 years i've been lampworking, soda flare is bad for your eyes too.
Meitali,

Mike Aurelius (from Aura Lens) has been following this thread and has asked me to direct you to the following link:
http://www.auralens.net/e_gwrecommend.cfm

That page explains a lot. There are few corrections to be made: UV generation starts at 4,500 F, not 6,000 F, and Glass Alchemy does not make Green Dwarf, that was a gun mount color.

Pay particular attention to the quote from NIOSH HETA 98-0139-2769:

"… Since the levels of optical radiation produced in these glass bead operations are generally below occupational exposure levels, many beadmakers may believe that they do not need to wear any type of eye protection. NIOSH investigators believe that appropriate eyewear needs to be worn for the following reasons:

a) To minimize sodium flare and IR levels.
b) To protect the eyes from broken glass.
c) To prevent burns of the eyelids."

The article also discusses the "sunglass effect." Mike said "it is not just about the gold coated lenses, it applies to any filter material that does not filter IR, which is usually most sunglasses."

Mike asked me to tell you that he will be at the Gathering and would be happy to sit down with you and discuss the issues and the various options you have as well as answer any of your questions.
Old 2007-07-10, 6:42am
Against the Grain

Good post kbinkster.

I have one pair of eyes through which I see, perform my work and do and enjoy the things I do. I cannot go to Walmart to purchase a new set when damage is done to this set of eyes. Eyes naturally deteriorate so why speed up the process?

Think of ways you protect other aspects: kids, yourself, your home and how much is spent doing that. I'd rather err on the side of overprotection with my eyes than under protect therm.

I work with both boro and soft glass. When I work with boro I have a welder's shade 5 visor that is attached to my welding beanie peak so there is no extra weight put on my didy's. Is the solution perfect? No and it will do for now. My brother is a welder and he would screech blue murder if he saw that I torched without adequate eye protection (and ventilation, but that's another topic)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
under construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2007-07-11, 1:56pm
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

ok, first- thanks for all the info that was added to this thread!!!

second- i want to clarify- if i'm not sure about the eye protection that i can afford, i will not get started with boro, i *WILL NOT* geoperdize my eye sight. right now i have ACE glasses for my soft glass work so i know i'm ok, and unless i can have good eye protection, boro will not find its way into my studio.

third- i will try to contact mike even before i take the plane to the USA (wow, 10 days! i can't believe how time flies! it will be my first visit ever! ), but either way- bottom line, what kind of eye protection for boro would you boro-ppl recomend?

the only thing about the glasses that's a must is that they be available as clip-ons (like my ACE for instance), as both me and my friend who is also interested in a pair need our prescription glasses beneath the protective one when we're working (and sometimes when we aren't too ).

thanks again!

I
NY
Old 2007-07-11, 1:57pm
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

nevermind.

I
NY
Old 2007-07-11, 2:02pm
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

quoted from the page in the link-

"If you are using a HotHead torch, you really DON'T need to wear anything but regular safety glasses"

what would be "regular safety glasses"? those who only protect you from flying bits?

what part of the flame when working soft glass IS bad for the eyes?

I
NY
Old 2008-04-10, 9:09pm

I'm bumping this old thread because I'm trying to find a better solution than I currently have.

I have a pair of Auralens 250 AGW boro glasses. They are so dark, I can't see ANYTHING...so the results are, I end up peering over them IF I wear them (NO protection) in order to torch.

They are so oversized, if I move my head an inch, they fall off my face onto the floor anyway. The glasses themselves are a complete safety hazard because they don't fit. I can't strap them on the back, I have long hair, and a strap makes loose strands work loose and end up in the flame.

Due to the inability to fit glasses by looking at a website photo, I'm afraid to spend $200+ for another pair of glasses that will not fit either.

I've been working exclusively boro with NO eye protection essentially... because the boro rated glasses are useless.

All the explanations are completely confusing... protection is only useful if you are willing and able to use it. I am not willing or able to use my boro protection, because in doing so, I can't see what I'm working on, and they are so ill-fitting that they are a hazard in themselves to use.

What are others actually USING comfortably for working their boro please?

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-11, 5:05am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I think if you go to a local eyeglass place and get a pair of frames (From the cheap rack) and send them to Auralens they will make you glasses in them.

I had Mike bring children's frames to the Gathering and I picked out a snazzy pair of purple frames and had boro glasses made in kids frames. I have a very narrow face and they fit perfect! I even wear them for soft glass torching sometimes because I am having bad eye strain from any light at all.

Old 2008-04-11, 12:44pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Debbie those are so cute!

Old 2008-04-11, 12:56pm

Those really are cute!

I think I'm leaning towards a shield, that may be the easiest solution for me. Thank you Debbie, that's my next idea!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-12, 9:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hels View Post
I'm bumping this old thread because I'm trying to find a better solution than I currently have.

I have a pair of Auralens 250 AGW boro glasses. They are so dark, I can't see ANYTHING...so the results are, I end up peering over them IF I wear them (NO protection) in order to torch.

They are so oversized, if I move my head an inch, they fall off my face onto the floor anyway. The glasses themselves are a complete safety hazard because they don't fit. I can't strap them on the back, I have long hair, and a strap makes loose strands work loose and end up in the flame.

Due to the inability to fit glasses by looking at a website photo, I'm afraid to spend $200+ for another pair of glasses that will not fit either.

I've been working exclusively boro with NO eye protection essentially... because the boro rated glasses are useless.

All the explanations are completely confusing... protection is only useful if you are willing and able to use it. I am not willing or able to use my boro protection, because in doing so, I can't see what I'm working on, and they are so ill-fitting that they are a hazard in themselves to use.

You can get welding lenses and other goodies made for you, prescription, at many eyeglass places

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2008-04-14, 7:07am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hels View Post

I use AGW-250 shade 4 lenses and have no problem seeing my work.

Old 2008-04-14, 9:55am
Satake Woman!

I use the 3/5 split, and I had the same trouble as you for things falling down. That is why I use the goggles. Looks kind of silly, but I don't have trouble with them falling down, and the elastic doesn't get caught in hair like the glasses holders they sell in places like Kmart.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2008-04-14, 11:50am
ManBearPig

Give Mike a call. Maybe you can get him to send you some plain frames with no lenses to try and see what fits your face.

Old 2008-04-14, 5:43pm

Quote:
I use AGW-250 shade 4 lenses and have no problem seeing my work.
I just ordered those lenses and was wondering if anyone liked them. thanks cosmo I'm trying out the mx30 frames I will respond about the fit when I get them.

Old 2008-04-15, 5:44am
old fart

[quote]
Mike Aurelius (from Aura Lens) has been following this thread and has asked me to direct you to the following link:
[quote]

i do not understand, why didn't mike answer the post directly?