Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-01-25, 9:47pm
Obsessed Blogger

Default Purple Heart Making Experience

Today I made a handful of purple hearts, which I haven't done in a while. Something funny happened...

I SHOULD be working on inventory for Best Bead in Tucson in about a week but I couldn't. I just couldn't get motivated. Something told me to make purple hearts. I got going and couldn't stop.

I had pulled out my Zoozii heart press that has a tapered edge heart as well as a straight sided one. I had never used it. That is one fun press! You just need to make a cone shape and press with it, which you probably all know.

If you have one, give it a try. Layer some transparent lavender and ink blue...very nice, sweet little purple hearts.

I think they might be my new warm up beads. Will show them tomorrow after they're annealed.

Now I want to get the butterfly one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-26, 4:43am
It's all good.

I can't wait to see them.

Thanks for the tip on the transparent colors combo -- I was using opaque purple and I can't get it to stay nice no matter what I do, I'll be trying that this weekend. :0)

Old 2010-01-26, 9:27am
Obsessed Blogger

The ink blue is pretty intense so it often looks almost black. Even over white, if the layers are too thick, same thing.

I like to layer it thinly over any light transparent and it shows it's color better. Even clear is fun.

Old 2010-01-26, 10:35am

There's a butterfly tutorial coming out in the next Bead Release.

Robert
Old 2010-01-31, 11:25am
Obsessed Blogger

Excellent! Thanks Robert...can't wait to get it.

So, my hearts didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. Sometimes things look so much nicer in the flame than they do when they're cooled. ::sigh:: But, I said I'd show them so, here they are:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do love the shape and the outlining. A solid color would probably be more visually appealing though. That's what I get for trying to get fancy.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
But that's how we get better at it, right?

Anyone else have any purple hearts to show?

Old 2010-01-31, 11:29am
Obsessed Blogger

Oh, and here's a tutorial I wrote a while ago for making purple hearts:

Old 2010-01-31, 5:07pm
It's all good.

Lori I really like those hearts!!!!
And thanks for the tutorial going to check it out now....

-Peg

Old 2010-01-31, 5:55pm

I like those hearts, Lori!! I don't do well making hearts, I may need to try again... And yes, I understand the BoC torch urge, I've shifted sessions to just BoC beads myself.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-01-31, 6:06pm

Lori, those hearts look pretty good to me. I spent this afternoon figuring out sock monkey beads for a young girl over at Egelston here in Atlanta. I've made lots of butterflies lately, time for a big batch of hearts.

Robert
Old 2010-01-31, 6:22pm

Please take pics, Robert, your butterflies are great, I'd love to see the hearts also.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-01-31, 8:26pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Here's my latest batch of purple hearts. Just have to get something to wrap them with.

Old 2010-01-31, 8:39pm

Oh, how lovely! I like the teal and purple one best, nice!

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-02-01, 1:07am

Quote:
Here's my latest batch of purple hearts. Just have to get something to wrap them with.

These are great!!! Are those freehand? I can make the horizontal hearts (the one that looks like butt cheeks according to my kids) but I can't make vertical hole hearts at all. I've seen tutorials on it but I can't get mine fluffy or well, let's just say they don't look like hearts. Is there a good press that can be used for either or?

Robert, I'd love so see your sock monkeys!

Old 2010-02-02, 9:05am
Angel's Mom

All of those hearts are awesome!
Old 2010-02-02, 10:18am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
These are great!!! Are those freehand? I can make the horizontal hearts (the one that looks like butt cheeks according to my kids) but I can't make vertical hole hearts at all. I've seen tutorials on it but I can't get mine fluffy or well, let's just say they don't look like hearts. Is there a good press that can be used for either or?

Robert, I'd love so see your sock monkeys!
Zoozii's XL Sweetheart preSs was used for mine.

Old 2010-02-02, 12:00pm
Creatrixie

Nifty! I just started making hearts recently and was really fired up making them for BOC and for Breast Cancer Research...

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-02-09, 5:58pm
Obsessed Blogger

Debby and Mary, your hearts are GREAT!

Nikki...girl, don't stress yourself about hearts when you can rock the butterflies! Unless you want to, that is.
)

Old 2010-02-10, 4:00pm

Quote:
Nikki...girl, don't stress yourself about hearts when you can rock the butterflies! Unless you want to, that is.
)

I'll keep rocking butterflies and art beads to send in, thanks for the affirmation.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2010-02-10, 5:20pm
FreeAssociatesVeryFreely

all such lovelies!! i am finally getting set up to torch in my revamped studio, and Fly~Away hearts have been on my mind for awhile.. here is one from years back....

Last edited by nivedita; 2010-02-10 at 5:23pm.
Old 2010-02-12, 9:05am
Obsessed Blogger

I love the fly-away hearts! Beautiful as a pendant-style piece!

Old 2010-02-12, 10:21am
Superkitty

Great tutorial Lori. I'm planning to make at least one purple heart per torching session.
Old 2010-02-12, 12:42pm
Creatrixie

That sounds like a super plan, Deb!

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104