Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-22, 11:41am
Yell Fire!!!

Default What's your favorite bead-release?

I am totally new to soft glass work and just tried using "Bucket O Mud" as my bead release, and "It Sucks"! They should call that stuff "Bucket O Crap". I couldn't get any of my beads off the mandrel. What are some of your favorite types of bead release to use? What about palladium leaf? Have you ever tried that stuff either? Just curious, thanx!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-22, 11:46am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Fusion.
I swear by it (after trying every brand under the sun - even custom mixed stuff).
Holds the beads like rocks, and comes off easily.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-22, 11:49am
pyro slacker mom

I use Fusion, but don't know anything else, 'cause it works for me.

Have you tried soaking your mandrels in water before you try to get your beads off?

I bring my stuff in from the kiln and soak my beads in water for at least 30 minutes before I try to remove beads. The 30 minutes is because I have attention issues, and that's about how long it takes me to remember that I have beads to clean.

When you dip your mandrels in and out of the bead release, do so v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y - I don't know why this works, but it does - if I dip fast, then the bead release fails - either craps out on me in the middle of a bead, or I can't get the bead off the mandrel.

Hope this helps,
C

glass color wiki:
Old 2009-02-22, 11:55am

I keep trying different things and end up with Alice's every time! I like it... it works for me!

Old 2009-02-22, 12:10pm
Dichro Addict

I'm going to try Fusion! I'm not liking my custom blend a whole lot right now. I think I have actually developed tendonitis from cranking on those beads to get them off. Seriously! My arm hurts so bad up by my elbow and that is the only thing that makes any sense.

Old 2009-02-22, 12:13pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I used Alice's for years and I just switched to Bucket of Mud. I love it! No cracking during the middle of a bead and they come off easily when I soak them for a short bit.

Old 2009-02-22, 12:36pm

Fusion and I love it. I've tried Pink Slipper and Foster Fire (a couple versions) and keep going back to Fusion. It holds well, dries without lumps, and removes easily after soaking in water for about 5 minutes. Plus very minimal cleaning if I make sure the glass and mandrel are both really hot.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-02-22, 12:42pm

I love Foster Fire. It holds nicely even if you're making a large bead but the beads just slide right off when they come out of the kiln.

I have a theory about your bead release though -- are you kiln annealing your beads or placing them in vermiculite or fiber blanket to cool??? This will make a difference. If you're not kiln annealing your beads your bead release may still be holding too effectively -- once fired in a kiln they may come off easier. I know this is the case with foster fire. Once in a while I place a bead not-worthy of finishing onto my table to air cool before being thrown into the trash and these are a B**ch to remove from the mandrels, while all the beads that come out of the kiln slide off like a dream.

Old 2009-02-22, 1:10pm
Certified Yoga Teacher

I've been using Fusion forever. I started out with Sludge Plus, but once I tried Fusion I've never looked back!

Liz

Old 2009-02-22, 1:21pm
Mr. Cellophane

1/2 Fusion to 1/2 Foster Fire. Works every time.

Libby

Old 2009-02-22, 3:23pm
GlassAct

Fusion - I haven't tried Foster Fire but that's next on my list. I used one that I won't name and injured my wrist trying to get the darn stuff to break loose.
Old 2009-02-22, 3:30pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I created FosterFire and still use it. No, I'm not biased, but I did design it so the beads come off easily as I have hand problems.
Couple quick tips that work for any bead release - if your bead gets stuck soak your whole bead in cheap white vinegar. It will break down any bead release. This could take a few hours, btw.
Shake your bead release to mix it well before each use. This will make sure you get the right mix every time.
Old 2009-02-22, 3:34pm
Ad astra per aspera

I use a roughly 50/50 mix of FosterFire (Hi Robin!!!!) and Fusion. Love it!

One little help for keeping it smooth...toss in a few wonky beads. When you shake up the release, they bounce around and help to break up any little pebbles.

Old 2009-02-22, 3:51pm

Hi Mark! I met you at Glass Stock. I don't have a real strong opinion about Bead Releases but there are people that swear by (not at ) BOM! There is a certain way to use it though to get it to work right. If you search the forum you might find other threads about it. Right now I can't remember it's M.O. but when I was selling Bead Release I sold a lot of it! I would trade any amount ofbead release for that bowl that you made though...
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-22, 6:00pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I love Kragg mud. cleans out nicely, easy to get beads off, no cracking issues unless I am the one who seriously goofs.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2009-02-22, 6:25pm

I love Foster Fire and use it since years. Tried BOM in between, but didn't like it and went straight away back to Foster Fire. Holds strong, easy to clean up, minimal cracking (except when I'm abusing it).

Old 2009-02-22, 7:19pm
Ready to hit the road

I use my own mix, alumina hydrate and kiln wash with a dash of Foster Fire thrown in. Never have had a bead that I couldn't get off.

Old 2009-02-22, 8:17pm

Fusion Products.... used it for years... never failed. Tried Bucket of Crud... Alices.. and for me... (disclaimer ~ nothing works as well). JMHO... Waves at Mark!

Old 2009-02-22, 8:34pm

Hmmm well I use BOM and have for many years and have never had a problem with cracking or stuck anything. My glass slides right off without any issues at all.

I do however thin it with tap water, NOT distilled or bottled water and don't flame dry.

I have tried others and was not happy with them. Many where difficult to clean out of the bead holes, even with my dremel.

My guess is it is a personal preference, but I would not call BOM Crap....

J
Old 2009-02-22, 9:01pm
Shelarious

Dirty Louie's. I just added a little water to it, and it's great.

Old 2009-02-22, 9:21pm

I think there are different batches of Bucket of Mud, depending on when you bought it. I bought my last bottle direct from BOM right before they went AWOL the 2nd time, and it was rather thin. It still worked, but it did tend to crack on me from time to time. I have another bottle I more recently bought from Frantz that is significantly thicker (like pancake batter), and it works like a dream. But it is thick enough that when I'm dipping, I have to wipe about half of it off on the edge of the bottle (no biggie - I've got a system now so it doesn't take any longer as I dip!)

Old 2009-02-22, 9:28pm
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshelle View Post
Dirty Louie's. I just added a little water to it, and it's great.
I have been using Dirty Looie's without a problem, except the one time I knocked the bottle over and sloshed it across the studio. Dirty Looie's sticks well to fabric, window blinds, oak paneling furniture, and cats.

~Rachelle
Old 2009-02-22, 10:42pm
Type ZZZ personality

I've been using Blue Sludge for soft and boro and I love it.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2009-02-22, 10:51pm
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmccourt View Post
I am totally new to soft glass work and just tried using "Bucket O Mud" as my bead release, and "It Sucks"! They should call that stuff "Bucket O Crap". I couldn't get any of my beads off the mandrel. What are some of your favorite types of bead release to use? What about palladium leaf? Have you ever tried that stuff either? Just curious, thanx!
Bucket O Crap is right. I use KRAG Mud usually. I was running low and went to another glass place while I was on vacation and grabbed a bottle of Bucket O Mud while I was there. It's now sitting on the very back of my workbench in case of emergency, and that's it. I love KRAG Mud.
Old 2009-02-22, 11:02pm
too many rods in the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlydetails View Post
I've been using Fusion forever. I started out with Sludge Plus, but once I tried Fusion I've never looked back!
Ditto!!! I was fairly happy with the Sludge Plus until I tried Fusion - then it was like, what the hell was I thinking? Fusion rocks! And I do pretty large beads.

Old 2009-02-22, 11:29pm

Foster fire smooth and tough formula

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2009-02-23, 3:21am
JulieV

Fusion here. Tried others, ended up mixing BOM and DL's in with my Fusion and I think by now my mxiture is pretty much back to straight fusion.

Old 2009-02-23, 6:50am
Enabler

Nothing but Fusion here. I use it for both soft AND boro and it works like a dream!

Old 2009-02-23, 11:06am
The Crazy One

Default I've posted it before, but here it is again!

Please take no offense. I understand that people have their likes and dislikes in bead release. I understand I do. I have used various releases at various venues: Blue Sludge, FF, some pink crap at a studio (because I didn't know enough to bring my own), Dirty Looie's (yup wasted 3 bucks on that!).

I use Fusion (FPI), always have. Other than the 3 bucks for the DL (used it twice. Once with good success, the other causing a painful death by water, but at least I enjoyed the sound effects!). I have only bought Fusion. It's what I started with. It's never given me any problems. For me it's easy to clean, easy to release, easy to have a relationship with. By that I mean I have used mandrels I dipped over 6 months ago, mandrels that I have double dipped, and mandrels that I have flame dried.

I have had to thin the stuff, but it works just as well when it's thick. I have thinned with lots of different things: Tap water, bottled water, water out of my bead cleaning can, and yes, even beer!

I expect a lot from a bead release:
I want one without a personality! I have enough of those in my head as it is. I want it hold when I burn, twist, jab, add glass and pull. I want it to not be offended by those wonkers that have been in all the jars I have owned for the last 4 years (I do occasionally wonder what they look like. I'm just not brave enough to pull them out).

I want a release that’s abusable, I abuse my glass, my mandrels, my torch, my tools, and my Studio Wench Pam, before she left. I expect nothing but the best performance from everything in my studio. OK so sometimes my Studio Wench would busy torching along with me and couldn’t get me that beer I want, but otherwise she was the greatest!

I hate to shop, I dislike decisions, I don't like change. I have found the release that gives me everything I need so I'm sticking with it. Fusion.
Old 2009-02-23, 8:01pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Loco, you are so adorable and we love you lots. I would buy Fusion if I didn't have FosterFire.