No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-01-22, 9:45am
Mary Lockwood

Default Free bead recipe in my blog...

Hi!

I started a blog yesterday and it is kind of a daily what's what in my world.

Today's 'what' happens to be the recipe for taking some soft glass supplies we almost all have on hand and mixing/layering them in a way to make them look like a green shade of the high-silver glass we love.

Just thought I'd share what I'm working on. I'll be putting tips like this on my blog all the time so if you like bloggin'...check mine out occasionally.

There is a link in my signature line.
~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-22, 9:51am
Your Royal Fritness

Mary very nice Blog

Old 2010-01-22, 9:58am
Mary Lockwood

Thanks!

I'm still working on fleshing it out with some links and stuff, but it is fun.

~~Mary

Old 2010-01-22, 10:36am
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Hi!

I started a blog yesterday and it is kind of a daily what's what in my world.

Today's 'what' happens to be the recipe for taking some soft glass supplies we almost all have on hand and mixing/layering them in a way to make them look like a green shade of the high-silver glass we love.

Just thought I'd share what I'm working on. I'll be putting tips like this on my blog all the time so if you like bloggin'...check mine out occasionally.

There is a link in my signature line.
~~Mary
HI Mary
Love your blog. I have a question if you don't mind. On you blog you said blue was easy. What and how do you do blue. I guess I missed something somewhere about that. Can you tell me how you do Blue??
Thanks KIm
Old 2010-01-22, 11:13am
Mary Lockwood

Hi Kim...there are lots of posts around for a reaction people call 'faux boro'. Usually they involve a layer of straw yellow (or pale brown) rolled in iris gold frit, then encased in clear. You can roll a rod of straw yellow in iris gold frit, melt the gather smooth then encase it in clear and pull into stringers...the effect still works. It is the chemical reaction between the iris gold frit and the straw yellow that forms the blue.

Lots of furnace glass colors and what most beadmakers know as reduction frits have high levels of metal in them. The silver glass colors we love have lots of silver in them (obviously). It is the metal in the glass that forms the reaction so if you can find the right combination of metals in furnace glass you can kind of dummy up the look. It's NOT the same and you won't get the swirly oil-slick peacock colors with surface decoration that you get with the silver glasses, but under encasement you can do a pretty decent fake.

Good luck.
~~Mary

Old 2010-01-22, 12:45pm
Beadmaking.nl

Beautiful site and thank you for those tutorials!

Old 2010-01-22, 3:05pm
birdergirl ~o~

Oh Mary I LOVE Riley!!! I've had many aussies through the years. Right now I have a border collie/ aussie cross.
Thanks for the green glass recipe too!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2010-01-22, 10:14pm
Mary Lockwood

Thanks Margriet and Sally and you're welcome.

Riley is only my second aussie. My first one was Sydney who was mixed heavily with border collie. He was black and white...my doggy soul mate. We were thick as thieves. LOL

Riley is truly a wonderful dog who is quickly becoming my friend and constant companion. If you see me- you see Riley. He is right now sleeping with his head on my foot...snoring.

We are getting to know each other, like new room mates and it really has surprised me how easily he fits into our family. He was like a missing puzzle piece or something. It feels like he's just always been here.

Anyway...I go on forever whenever anyone encourages me. LOL

Have a great weekend!
~~Mary

Old 2010-01-22, 11:06pm

Mary, I checked out your blog. You are fun and informative to read
Old 2010-01-23, 6:52am
FatCat Mama

Mary -

I the frog bead!

Thanks for the recipe - I already have one in the kiln, and plan to give it a try again with a change or two for fun.

Teri P

ETA: dang - I knew I should have written it down! I goofed and used Petroleum Green instead of Mosaic Green. Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-01-23, 3:12pm
Mary Lockwood

Thanks, Carol!

You too, Teri. By the way- you can also change the order of the mosaic green and the iris gold frit and it will give a slightly different patterning texture, but the same colors. Like put the straw yellow, then the iris gold, then the mosaic green after that then encase. It still works.

I tried the petroleum green in some of my experiments and it does KINDA work, but the mosaic bleeds better. You have the cook the petroleum much longer and it is never as dynamic of a reaction.

Still fun though. Yay!
~~Mary

Old 2010-01-23, 6:18pm
Smooches!

Thank you Mary - love your blog!

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2010-01-25, 8:19am
FatCat Mama

Well it did turn out sort of interesting, Mary. Not what I was expecting, but fun anyway.

I did discover that Lemongrass odd makes a good base for the Iris Gold; I plan to experiment more with that today.

Teri

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-01-30, 4:15am

Mary i have just checked out your site,
gob truly smacked, love the fungus.