Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-22, 4:25pm

Default Too much dichroic glass?

I have been using System 96 dichroic glass recently and layering multiple styles of dichroic, creating pretty large beads to facet with my lap grinder. I am finding that most of them are cracking within a day of being taken from my kiln. Does anyone know, is there a rule just like the 10-15% coe 96 on coe 104 in relation to dichroic? Last night, I made sure that my beads didn't get too cool, thinking that was the reason for the cracking. But the larger of the two beads (1 inch X 1 inch slight barrel) which had more dichroic cracked. The other bead had only half of the amount of dichroic and so far has not cracked. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
Desta
Old 2013-08-22, 4:27pm

I should have mentioned that I am using Reichenbach 96 coe glass with these beads and that they are encased with R-100.
-D
Old 2013-08-22, 4:57pm
Artistically Absorbed

I have had some problems too in the past. I think that sometimes all the strips don't completely melt or fuse to each other when there are so many layers of sheet. Just a theory, I started sinking more heat in and didn't have the problem anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-08-22, 6:43pm

What are your annealing temperatures and soak times? Dichro should not be a problem unless it is off on it's COE, even with multiple layers. Dichro to dichro (coated sides) won't stick to itself, so you may want to either always keep the dichro side down on the bead or do a thin, clear encasing.

Barbara
Old 2013-08-22, 6:53pm
kinda torching....

Try dichro paper for more layers with less glass? Then the only glass would be what you layer on.
Old 2013-08-22, 6:56pm
Loving learning

Just to be sure I understand, you are using all 96 glass, including the dichro, right?
Old 2013-08-23, 6:45am

7.1% dichro should be Okee Dokee. 7.2% will most definitely crack.
Old 2013-08-23, 8:15am

7.1%? well I never. But this is the place to come with questions. Any scientific reasons behind that, Larry? Just wondering. I would think that if all I am using is 96coe, then there should not be an issue. Or it would be user error, looking at my bead too long and getting it too cool. But I have diligently tried to make these beads with those warnings in mind and have still gotten cracks. Have another batch to look at this morning..... thanks eveyone for your comments. This is my first posting, and it is gratifying to get input from people in this community.
Old 2013-08-23, 9:00am
addicted to dichro

I think you only get away with so much "non glass" in a glass bead. Whether it's dichro, silver or CZ's.

Old 2013-08-23, 9:19am

Take for example Bullseye. Theirs is guaranteed compatible. CBS uses BE to coat their 90 COE. There should be no problems.

Spectrum, 96 COE, or Uroborous do have tested fusible glass.

However, ALL 90 is not the same, all 96 is not the same unless it is made by the same manufacturer and guaranteed.

We all know certain 104's are off at times!

It's not user error, it's just that there's not enough love to go around that bead and make a happy marriage!

Desta, where is your crack on the bead? That could help decide if it's a minor COE difference.

Barbara
Old 2013-08-23, 12:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by destadickinson View Post
7.1%? well I never. But this is the place to come with questions. Any scientific reasons behind that, Larry? Just wondering. I would think that if all I am using is 96coe, then there should not be an issue. Or it would be user error, looking at my bead too long and getting it too cool. But I have diligently tried to make these beads with those warnings in mind and have still gotten cracks. Have another batch to look at this morning..... thanks eveyone for your comments. This is my first posting, and it is gratifying to get input from people in this community.
Just trying to show ludicrous some of these myths are. Incompatible glasses should never be mixed regardless of how much of each. Thats just bad practice.

Tags
cracking, dichroic