Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-01-27, 5:42pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Default reflective surface question

Hi~

I have been trying some shots with clear glass over my standard background for a reflective surface.

Does anyone know how to get a top down shot of beads without your camera showing in the reflection? No matter where I position my lights and diffusers I still get my camera.

I've seen pictures done - wondering what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
Audra
Old 2008-01-28, 3:25pm

I don't think you can unless the glass is a matte finish.

I take my pics at a slight angle so as to not see me or my camera in the picture!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit me here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-31, 10:35am
szglassy

I believe that there is a technique using someone holding overhead a white poster board to block the reflection.
Maybe someone here can chime in with some other suggestions, because I'd really like to know as well.
Old 2008-01-31, 1:05pm
Sorry for party rockin'

I started using glass over my backdrops recently too . . .. it's a good idea to put something on the top of your cube (paper?) to block reflections and to shoot from an angle. Position yourself slightly in front of, or to the front and side of your beads instead of shooting directly downward. I'll sometimes get my camera lens in the glass reflection but since it's off to the side or down low, I just crop it out.

Old 2008-02-03, 1:55pm

if you are using a 35 mm or digital camera, that you can place a lens shade on , that is usually used out side to block the sun, you can cut a hole in a peice of poster board , place hole over lens, screw on lens shade to hold poster board in place place camera above the shot making sure you can place camera in a way that only lens opening reflection may be hidden by placement of beads. Do you follow me on this part? dont use a flash as will not light up due to hiddern behind posterboard, I would shoot in avalible light or use lighting set to get away from flash. hope this gives you some help.
Old 2008-02-03, 3:20pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

My sony cybershot doesn't have lens attachments so it looks like I'll have to start shooting at an angle. I have ditched my photo cube and my homemade photo box and have went to just putting diffusers over my lights. I get much better shots that way. I've tried to use poster board to bounce light or block the camera and it just isn't working out. I'll try to figure out some shots from an angle.

Thanks for your ideas,
Audra
Old 2008-02-05, 2:41am

AJ you cant use lens attachments you might be able to get creative using tape and some wire you might try making a bracket that will wrap around the lens barrel out of wire and tape it around the barrel . think of a shooting target is what I can only think of. ( a circle with 4 arms out from the edges of thecircle at 12 , 3 ,6 and 9 oclock ) the arms will be able to hold up the poster board if not to large possably 8x10 size might be good enough. it only has to be large enough to cover photo space.. I would try black poster board and white. I have a feeling the black will be the best bet . but could be wrong white might be good for reflecting and brighting the area pothograped. i was in phot industry for 15 years ten years a go , havent applyed but still have the knowledge.
Old 2008-02-05, 3:50am

Cut a hole in a piece of black velvet just big enough for your lens to shoot through it. Hang the velvet between the camera and the subject with just the lens peeping through.
Black velvet will work to block out any unwanted reflection as well, ie tripod legs, you, your cat.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2008-02-05, 12:33pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Thanks for the great ideas! I may try to rig up a white poster board. Sometimes I use a small white board to bounce light back down on my beads. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Most of the time I can cancel out any bad glare that way.

Great idea with the velvet drape Scott. That sounds like it would work - but I don't have any velvet. I hate shooting anything against velvet - regardless of the settings on my camera the velvet messes up the focus. I have a huge piece of black felt - I may give that a go.

Scott - what are light diffusers really called in the photography world? Are they gels? I don't want the big umbrella looking lights but something to put over my brooding lights other than tissue paper which I'm sure will burst into flames at some point. Right now I'm just being careful and turning off the lights when I walk away from my set up. I'm so glad I ditched the photo tent thing - that was a huge headache!

Thanks again!
Audra
Old 2008-02-05, 2:00pm

Audra,
Black felt will work as well. And I'm not talking about putting your subject on the felt ( unless you want a true black back ground ). But to use it like you use the white card. In fact you could glue it to the poster board to support it. Or you could use a black poster board. Velvet or felt will absorb 100% of the light bounce.

Same as in this world their called diffusers LOL. Their is a company call Rosco that makes the colored gels and diffusers that are heat resistant. Your local camera shop of theater supply house should carry them. If not Google Rosco. Their not expense a 24x20 sheet should run around five bucks. I'm guessing, they last for ever so its been years since I have bought any.

Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-02-05 at 3:15pm.