Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-12-19, 1:55am

Default Which concentrator/generator gives the best bang for the buck?

I work soft glass, nothing very big but I love making murrini which can get big. Have a Lynx presently but like everyone else, I've been waiting for the Scorpion and if others like it, I may buy.

And I've love to do boro.

One of my 2 concentrators died. Both are the smallest output (5?). What should I get to replace it?
Old 2009-12-19, 5:07am

regalia. it is on sale this month. check it out in the sale section. i love mine...kath
Old 2009-12-20, 1:39am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

bang for buck = used medical oxycons from craigslist. the regalia is really nice, bur trez pricey.
Old 2009-12-21, 12:14pm

I like the M15.
some times they have some with cosmedic errors at a great price.
G.
Old 2009-12-21, 12:22pm

Default Thanks everyone for all the help. And another question.

Is the M 15 the same as the ex 15?
Old 2009-12-21, 12:28pm
just another glass addict

I use a regalia for the center fire on my delta. I believe that it has a lynx for the center. It's about 3 years old and still works perfectly. I do lot's of boro and often don't use the outer flame (tank hooked up to that) unless I'm making something bigger like marbles. It was pricey, but I think it was worth it.

Polly

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-21, 8:50pm
Flamewoman

I have had several different concentrators thru the years. Had the old M-20, which is now the M-15, it was ok but not enough to do boro on my Lynx. Then I tried some Hurricane's actually 2 of them, they malfunctioned and were returned. For the last year+
I have ran my Lynx with a Regalia and I am very happy. It is everything I need, and also it is not what I don't need. I need a reliable concentrator that is quiet, cool, and that actually does what it is advertised to do. I don't need a concentrator that puts out low purity air, or one that is so noisey I can't hear myself think, and so hot I wouldn't need a heater in 10 below zero weather, or one that catches on fire.......
You get what you pay for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-12-22, 9:58pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
You get what you pay for.
so true. i picked up a used 10 lpm invacare platinum on craigslist for $80 and it is a dang good oxycon with excellent purity and reliability. It's not that noisy, but I think the Regalia is probably less so, although I don't know that for sure.
Old 2010-01-04, 11:57pm
Alaska Boro

Noticed this week (1/4/2010) that there are a number of web oxygen concentrator specials. Presently have one 5LPM unit and looking to upgrade to more O2 for boro.

Here are the choices so far:

Extreme Oxygen -15 (8 LPM) for $595 (ABR) No free shipping
Devilbiss 515 (5 LPM) two for $450 plus free shipping (Hobbies For Us)
Airsep Elite 2 (5 LPM) two for $500 plus free shipping (Hobbies For Us)

Using a Cricket with one 5 LPM unit. Plan to upgrade in February to a GTT Scorpion. Have a mini CC but 5 LPM is a bit on the short side for its liking.

Leaning toward a pair of Airsep units. A little less LPM per unit but less than the price of one EX-15.

Am I on the right track or are there some better suggestions.

i.e. Would like a OSG PRO-40 but at 6.6 K plus a compressor puts the unit way out of reach! But it looks like three 5 LPM units and a small 10 gallon holding tank may work out.

Suggestions are appreciated.
Old 2010-01-05, 12:06am

Have you checked ABR for a "scratch-n-dent" EX-15? I got mine from them for $390 and it works like a charm. Can't find a single blemish on it and it powers my Bobcat beautifully.

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2010-01-05, 9:06pm
Alaska Boro

Yes, did see that one on the ABR site.

The part that is confusing is that on another thread, there was a rather long discussion about the EX-15. Seems that it went on for pages indicating that the machine did not produce high percentages of oxygen at the rated 8 LPM level. Of course, without your own and rather expensive O2 meter one would be hard pressed to determine what the machine was actually producing.

Thanks for the heads up. It is appreciated.

Last edited by Alaska; 2010-01-05 at 9:09pm.
Old 2010-01-11, 10:57am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I just got an EX15 and hooked it up to my Cricket. I HAD been using a pair of Invacare 5's and they worked just fine. When I am running the EX15 and an oxidizing flame, I don't get that nice powerful "hiss" that I got with the pair of Invacares. Any opinions on that?

Jack

Old 2010-01-11, 11:30am

With almost any oxycon, the more air you try to push through it, the lower the output oxygen purity. It is perhaps unfortunate that the specs on many of these machines are a bit 'optimistic', stating the maximum pressure, flow rate, and purity, without stating that you don't get the maximum of all three at the same time.

Without know exactly your needs, there is no way of giving a definitive 'best bang for the buck' answer. Some people are comfortable working at the slower pace resulting from using a smaller (and less expensive) oxycon, while others may want to work faster, requiring a larger (and more expensive) oxycon. Some people have the room in their studio to hook together several smaller, less expensive oxycons, while others may need to pay a higher price in order to get one larger (and more expensive) machine.

Used (medical) machines can often be a good value. But, if there aren't any in your area, that doesn't help you much.

And please remember, almost all of the 'consumer' grade oxycons are medical machines (new or reconditioned). As such, they were never designed to put out the volume (and pressure) of oxygen that we want for our torches. If you stop and think about it, it's pretty amazing that we even have these machines at all, especially at these prices.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978