No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-14, 5:23pm
Lover of all things color

Default Vetrofond Lemon Grass issues

I'm having a terrible time with V-Lemon Grass and wonder if there is anyone out there that can give me some advice.

I have made two beads with it and they both cracked down the center. The first one was a longer bead so I chalked it up to thermal cracking. However, the second one was much smaller and I made a point to really heat it well before putting it into the kiln, which is at 960 for garaging.

Now, I will say that I start ALL of my beads with a thin layer of Effetre super clear. Could it be that they just don't get along?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-04-14, 5:26pm
Rose colored glasses…√

In my sold etsy, you'll see mini Toni Lutman beads. The base of those was Lemon Grass, and it took me forever and a day to list 'em. If they were going to crack, they would've long before I listed them. I batch anneal with a top temp of 890, so...

Maybe try it without the clear?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2010-04-14, 5:33pm

Lemongrass is one of my favorites; I have never had an issue with it. I second trying it without the clear.
Old 2010-04-14, 5:39pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Seconded ... Lemongrass is one of my all time favorites too.
Never had a cracking issue either.
I would try without the core of clear.

I hope you don't mind me asking: how comes that you start all your beads with a clear core? I'm just curious.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-04-14, 5:46pm
Lampworkaholic!

I did have a similar cracking issue with Lemongrass used as a base for Green Dalai. I thought it was the combination, but it did crack right down the mandrel line and I am so careful to pop my beads in the kiln glowing. I garage at 940.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-04-14, 7:23pm

I love LG too, and have been making my kitchen cabinet knobs from it. I started out making hollows that I encased in clear, and several cracked. I think I may have had some crack after I switched to encasing solids, but finally worked my way around to a clear base, LG, encased more heavily in clear. There's a light frit application over the LG. Maybe it's a little touchy, but workable.
Old 2010-04-14, 7:30pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try it without the clear tomorrow. I made our spacers without the clear and they were fine. I just wanted a focal to go with it and they kept cracking. I'll try it without the clear this time.

Judith, I find that I can get a better shape if I start with clear. I started doing it just with white and dark ivory to keep the base firmer and just kept doing it. Just habit I guess. Saves on the more expensive glass too. Except Lemon Grass that is...LOL

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-04-14, 9:13pm
I speak Murrini!

Some "yellow" beads don't take kindly to being encased with nor encasing over clear Although technically this isn't a "yellow" as we standardly know it, might it be that because it seems to strike a little yellow it may have the same tendency to "reject" clear? Not sure...

I agree that maybe trying it minus the clear core might be the key...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-14, 9:33pm
I like to melt things

Any transparent in the middle of the bead will have the same press-effect as coring with Clear, so you should enjoy the same effect with Lemongrass.

I do this with all of the transparent colours I buy that I don't end up liking.

-
-
Old 2010-04-22, 12:46pm

I finally got around to making another lemongrass bead without the clear core. It worked, no cracking. Now I will have to put that in the back of my already cluttered brain and try to remember that I can't use a clear core with it.

Melanie, I have a whole pile of transparent colors that I could use. Some are a bit more stiff than clear but I know what you mean.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con