Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-20, 12:49pm
Dix Harrison

Default Getting ready to try DH "Arke"--any hints?

My order just arrived from Double Helix and I am so excited to try the new "Arke."

Has anyone out there tried it?

What do you think? Any hints or tips to share?

Old 2014-04-20, 8:25pm
Lampworkaholic!

It's beautiful. If you've worked with Thallo, work it the same way. It keeps its luster under encasement. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-04-20, 8:51pm

I've done a couple of beads with it.

Using Amy Kinsch's storming technique on the raised dots on this one:

And over a Devardi metallic silvery black on this one:

I've read that a hot reduction gives you greens, and a cooler reduction gives you more metallic. They also said a repeated reduction produces reds - I repeated many times, and the most I got was maybe a pinkish metallic. I haven't used much Thallo, so I can't speak to their similarities... Good luck and have fun!

"I'd rather have glassy friends than classy friends."
Old 2014-04-21, 7:40am
Lampworkaholic!

Here's a couple of mine.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-04-21, 7:50am
Lifelong Student

Elizabeth, love your beads. Such vibrant colors! Looks like water. did you use a twistie for your beads? If so, what colors did you use with the ARKE
Old 2014-04-21, 11:03am
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks Mina! No twistie. I pull the colors out with the flame. The first bead has only Arke and clear. The second has a thin layer of aqua, plus clear.

Old 2014-04-21, 11:13am
Lifelong Student

Elizabeth, dies it get the ripple effect naturally?
Old 2014-04-21, 2:48pm

ohhhh that's purdy Liz
Old 2014-04-21, 3:38pm
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks Lois!

Mina, no, I use a grooved marver but you can also make razor cuts in the glass.

Old 2014-04-21, 8:40pm
Fried Cat

That shows much better than my Libby bead. I'll have to take a photo tomorrow of my Arke bead. It's a lovely glass.
Old 2014-04-21, 11:24pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
It's beautiful. If you've worked with Thallo, work it the same way. It keeps its luster under encasement. I'll take a picture tomorrow.
Lol my order that's taking forever for fedex to ship contains Thallo and Arke, so what's the 'secret' to Thallo? I've never used Thallo and honestly couldn't find much info on it here. In fact I think you were the only one to post a pic lol.

So with Arke, those that have used it, is it easy to over reduce? Which seems to be one of my things to do with reduction glass
Old 2014-04-22, 4:55am

In my very limited experience, a hotter reduction made it greenish and not over-reduced. A cooler reduction gave it the metallic look, but by switching to an oxidizing flame, it was easy to partially burn it off and get a bigger variety of colors. Of course I was experimenting in all the different flame chemistry I could throw at it, so I'm not 100% sure of what really caused what .
I think I understand what you mean, though, as I only get silver with Triton; Arke does not seem to behave like that.

I'll keep playing, and let you know if I figure any other tricks out...

Old 2014-04-22, 5:54am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Lol my order that's taking forever for fedex to ship contains Thallo and Arke, so what's the 'secret' to Thallo? I've never used Thallo and honestly couldn't find much info on it here. In fact I think you were the only one to post a pic lol.

So with Arke, those that have used it, is it easy to over reduce? Which seems to be one of my things to do with reduction glass
No real secret to Thallo. With reduction glass, less is more, most of the time, imho. Let your bead cool a little, lower your oxygen a little, waft your bead through the flame a few times.

If you are going to encase it, keep it under the flame while you do. Using a good clear is helpful. I usually start with a base of clear, sometimes I add a thin layer of a transparent to vary the color. That's about it.

Old 2014-04-22, 10:46pm
Naysayer

ok thanks, well both are here now earlier than stated. The shipments from DH are so odd now, well I mean it's fedex not them, but it goes from VA, to PA, to MD, to WV, then up to the midwest to me lol!

So I'm off to play, I won't really know results until they cool off of course.
Old 2014-09-22, 8:17am
Color Outside The Lines!

Arke (and the soon-to-be-released stronger versions) can develop multicolored iridescent metallic finishes when exposed, briefly but repeatedly, to small, soft reduction flames. Try setting smallish neutral flame, then turning down your oxygen until the yellow candles are about an inch long. Pass the bead through the tips of the candles, "brushing" the bead with the candles. Allow a few seconds to cool, and repeat.
Old 2014-09-22, 10:09am

I think it's a fun glass!
Attached Images

Old 2014-09-22, 10:35am
Slogan Challenged...

Those are lovely, Pat!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-09-22, 2:14pm

My first post ever here. I'm also looking for some tips for ARKE on the hot head. I can get metallic color from other DH glass but not from ARKE. I love Triton and Psyche which are both easily reduced for me.I've tried turning up the flame, turning down the flame, far out, close in, very close in, under the flame and on top and to the side. I've even done Psyche and Triton on the same mandrel to figure out if I'm hitting a good spot for them. They turn metallic but not ARKE. Any slight metallic sheen on Arke for me is from the very fresh newly laid down glass without melting it in but it doesn't stay. Once it is melted, I can't get any sheen at all. All I get is a plain blue bead or blue with some green with it. With Triton, Psyche, Kalypso and some others even the rods on the ends where they have melted are metallic but not ARKE.
Old 2014-09-23, 5:43am

These are Arke: reduced, unreduced a bit, reduced again.

From the right, Thallo then Arke. (Then Okeanos and 2 x Clio Dark).

These are Arke - much greener here over the grey and very very shiny.

I just reduced it repeatedly, mostly.

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-09-23, 10:48pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Helix Glassworks View Post
Arke (and the soon-to-be-released stronger versions) can develop multicolored iridescent metallic finishes when exposed, briefly but repeatedly, to small, soft reduction flames. Try setting smallish neutral flame, then turning down your oxygen until the yellow candles are about an inch long. Pass the bead through the tips of the candles, "brushing" the bead with the candles. Allow a few seconds to cool, and repeat.

Old 2014-09-24, 5:45am

Ravenesque:

If your video clip is showing how you feel because those tips helped you with Arke, I know EXACTLY how you feel! I used those tips last night and got Arke to sing for me!!! I'm about to pull them out of the kiln now to see which song it was - but I was happy with the pre-kiln results. Thank you DH!

Old 2014-09-24, 11:41pm
Naysayer

Actually no, it's the part I bolded and made purple, the release of stronger versions!
Old 2014-09-24, 11:45pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryar View Post
My first post ever here. I'm also looking for some tips for ARKE on the hot head. I can get metallic color from other DH glass but not from ARKE. I love Triton and Psyche which are both easily reduced for me.I've tried turning up the flame, turning down the flame, far out, close in, very close in, under the flame and on top and to the side. I've even done Psyche and Triton on the same mandrel to figure out if I'm hitting a good spot for them. They turn metallic but not ARKE. Any slight metallic sheen on Arke for me is from the very fresh newly laid down glass without melting it in but it doesn't stay. Once it is melted, I can't get any sheen at all. All I get is a plain blue bead or blue with some green with it. With Triton, Psyche, Kalypso and some others even the rods on the ends where they have melted are metallic but not ARKE.
Sorry you were interrupted, I can only guess to try maybe further out in the flame? It's just odd to me seeing as it's a reduction glass. Hope somebody swings by that can help.
Old 2014-09-26, 9:35am

Thank you Ravenesque. I'm going to contact Double Helix Glass to see if they can give me any tips. It really seems strange that I can't get anything out of ARKE when I've been very satisfied with other reduction glasses.