LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-21, 2:11pm

Default Another Newbie Question - how Do You Get Beads Off???

I had the crappy release, was told to lose that, so I used a powder kiln release I got from my fusing stuff. I mixed it the way I use it for my kiln glass. With both types, the beads are stuck. I have smashed about 30 beads off, because I only have 10 mandrels, and I'm about to give up.

How much/consistency of the release should be on the mandrel? And how much do you heat it up before putting the glass on? This is fun, i love the process, but at this point, it's pretty expensive since I got one bead out of about 35 attempts.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jib
Old 2014-09-21, 3:08pm
Slogan Challenged...

your coating may be too thin (if it works at all). Try thicker, something like a pancake batter (but everyone does that differently too- sort of medium thin) and make sure that it's dry. It might be better to wait if neither has worked so far, but something to consider if you want to try again. Also, I would suggest small test beads to limit the waste. HTH

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2014-09-21, 3:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
your coating may be too thin (if it works at all). Try thicker, something like a pancake batter (but everyone does that differently too- sort of medium thin) and make sure that it's dry. It might be better to wait if neither has worked so far, but something to consider if you want to try again. Also, I would suggest small test beads to limit the waste. HTH
OK, I will try thicker. Thank you!
Nancy
Old 2014-09-21, 4:40pm

Instead of kiln wash why don't you try Fusion, Foster Fire or another good commercial bead release?

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2014-09-21, 4:52pm

I use a "chuck." Soak my mandrels for about 30 seconds...slide into the chuck...tighten, and viola! Easy peasy. Oh, and by the way. Love Fusion!

Old 2014-09-21, 5:24pm

Try Foster Fire. You can easily control the thickness of the solution on the mandrel. Tried the stuff from Hobby Lobby first, what a disaster!! Great personal results the FF stuff. Now if I can just figure out how to make the glass do what I want.................. yep! definitely a newbie!
Old 2014-09-21, 6:41pm

Be sure to mix the kiln wash powder before you add water. The components have different densities and will separate. Your best bet is bead release, I like to use Foster Fire.

Georgia
Old 2014-09-22, 4:46am

Thank you - just ordered Foster Fire. Now hoping it gets here quickly!!
Jib
Old 2014-09-23, 5:09am
funny mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
I use a "chuck." Soak my mandrels for about 30 seconds...slide into the chuck...tighten, and viola! Easy peasy. Oh, and by the way. Love Fusion!
What is a chuck? Where can I get one?
Old 2014-09-24, 3:05am

A chuck is normally found on a drill. It's the part of the drill that holds the drill "bit." It's small and durable. You can find them at any hardware store. I got mine at Home Depot a few years ago for around $20 (maybe a little bit more). It is priceless to me....I highly recommend it. I heard of using it right here on LE!

Here's a link: notice the $24 one on the 2nd row! http://www.homedepot.com/s/drill+chuck?NCNI-5

One useful tip: dry the mandrel after soaking in water so the chuck doesn't rust. I made that mistake. WD40 was an easy fix, but better to simply wipe the mandrel before sliding into chuck

Old 2014-09-24, 4:40am
Glass-aholic

If you want to try some foster fire she has small sample bottles on her etsy that are the perfect size. They actually go a long way.
If you want to try sludge blue or sludge plus from artow springs let me know and I will send you a small amount. Just pm me.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-09-24, 6:52am

Thank you, all, I ordered some Foster Fire. Now I am impatiently waiting until it comes, because I don't want to waste any more glass.

And thank you, Jaci. I appreciate your kindness,
Jib
Old 2014-10-03, 7:43am

The Foster Fire came, and it is AWESOME!! Not one stuck bead!! Thank you for your help,
Jib
Old 2014-10-03, 12:55pm
Slogan Challenged...

Yay!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-10-03, 3:35pm

Yeah..

We have all been there.
Old 2014-10-03, 8:55pm

I'm confused on how the chuck works....but I soak and use a bench vise my DH has to hold the mandrel while I pull...stubborn ones I use a rivet tool with the bead protected from the tool with a towel

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2014-10-04, 5:50pm

Scrape all visible bead release off the mandrel. Soak the mandrel/bead in water for a few seconds. Remove mandrel from water and wipe it dry. Slide the mandrel into the chuck and tighten it (leaving the bead about 1 inch from the chuck end or closer). Hold onto the chuck and twist the bead off...being careful not to bend your mandrel. Easy peasy!!!

Old 2014-10-05, 6:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ann View Post
I'm confused on how the chuck works....but I soak and use a bench vise my DH has to hold the mandrel while I pull...stubborn ones I use a rivet tool with the bead protected from the tool with a towel
You need better bead release. What are you using?
Old 2014-10-05, 9:00am

The bench vise is doing the same thing that a chuck does--hold the mandrel while you pull (or push) the bead off.
Old 2014-10-06, 5:10am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quick FYI: cheap white vinegar will dissolve bead release over time. The downside is that it will cause your mandrels to corrode, so you don't want to do it very often.