Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2011-03-07, 2:29pm

Default Question for vendors and customers alike

We just had someone who placed an order a week before our current sale started. I was hung up on multiple times, cussed at, and told that unless I retroactively apply the sale to her order, she would post bad about us, and never order again.

Are we crazy? If Target offers a lamp on sale for 2 weeks, should the person who bought it full price 2 weeks before, be entitled to go in and get their money back? I would be putting myself in a position to have to retroactively apply sales to all orders. What do you guys think? Seems pretty much common sense, that specific sale dates are specific sale dates

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ABR Dave; 2011-03-07 at 2:32pm.
Old 2011-03-07, 2:43pm

I give the sale price if the items has not shipped yet. Anyone that buys knows there could always be a sale sometime down the road (including us when we buy from our vendors). And you could also be out of what they wanted then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-03-07, 2:47pm

Dave, I know that Target will honor a sale price for something bought the day before a sale, but in order to get that price, you have to go into the store and do a sort of return and rebuy at new price to get the sale price. However, I don't agree in getting a sale price for something bought a week later if there is a sale.

I've seen lots of posts on LE asking if certain glass or tools would be on sale in the near future. I've bought glass that wasn't on sale and seen it go on sale a couple of weeks later, but I needed that glass when I bought it. If I hadn't needed it, I wouldn't have bought it unless it was on sale.

That being said, will you be bringing any air filters for EX-15 oxycons to Las Vegas for the Glass Craft & Bead Show?
under construction -
Old 2011-03-07, 2:52pm

Melanie, if you would like, we can bring some for you. How many do you need?

Thanks Paula, that makes sense to do it if it hasn't shipped.

But, we vendors can't be retroactively honoring sales a week after an order, or we'd have to honor every sale price that we ever put out. Our prices go up too, as you know, so I just felt I couldn't do that. It's not fair to our other customers who barely missed the sale. Fair is fair, and we post specific sale dates for a reason.

Thanks for the input.

The Target thing makes sense, if you bought it a single day before the sale. But I doubt if I walk in there with my XBox I paid 300 bucks for a couple months ago, when they are on sale for 250, and get my 50 bucks back.

Old 2011-03-07, 3:01pm

Default How much hassle do you want.

I know from the retail side, someone can return product and get the sale price. In many cases IF (the key word) the vendor knows of an upcomming sale they will honor that price, but the customer can not have the item until the sale is on. If it's a regular customer I am sure SHE
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is bugging you REGULARLY on when you are going to put something on sale on this site......
Or shall I nicely say; nag, nag, nagging you.

Sue
Old 2011-03-07, 3:01pm

2 packages would probably do it for me Dave. Your website shows the black sponge filter and the paper filter as the package, so I probably only need 2 for now.

Thanks Dave. As always, ABR has great customer service!
under construction -
Old 2011-03-07, 3:14pm

Actually if Target advertises a lower price either the same week or the week following your purchase, you can bring in your original sales receipt to Guest Services for an adjustment. I had to do thislast week actually
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its never to late to be what you might have been!"
Old 2011-03-07, 3:16pm
Melting

This is exactly why I ask if the item(s) I am interested in purchasing are going to be on sale in the near future. I'm almost always willing to wait for the sale price, and I don't end up disappointed later.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-03-07, 3:32pm

I usually don't know what my next sale is going to be until 3 minutes before I start it! But when I do I don't have a problem telling anyone.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2011-03-07 at 6:57pm.
Old 2011-03-07, 3:47pm
Entropy increasing....

Actually, many stores will do just that. I have a friend who practically does this for a living.
Old 2011-03-07, 4:20pm
Glass-aholic

From a customer relations stand point it may be easier to just bite the bullet on this one, give her the sale price, explain that it is not the policy of the company to do so, however because it was not clearly stated in the policies on the website, she will be given a one time exception. Then post it in your store policy page. Just a sentence or 2 that states, sale prices are effective only at the time of purchase. They will not be honored for purchases made prior to the posting of sale prices, and sale prices will not be extended, unless deemed technical error.

When it comes down to it, would you rather risk loss of the sale due to a full return, and loss of future sales. OR a small percentage of the sale, and clarity for future of her and others purchases. Yes she is mad that she missed the deal, yes I agree her actions may have been wrong, but if there is no policy in place, then it comes down to making your customer happy, and making a return customer. It may not seem like what you want to do to here right now, but from a business standpoint it is a smart move. Remember the key to a good business is not about judging them by the mishaps, but by the way the company handles the problems. (Also remember that thing about good news and bad news.. good news travels in 3's bad news spreads by the dozens... It is just easier to rant than rave)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2011-03-07 at 4:31pm.
Old 2011-03-07, 4:28pm
Borovangelist

I might ask if it was within a day or if I knew it hadn't shipped because of a holiday or something. Heck, at that point I may even add something to the order.

2 weeks though? No, that's just being greedy.

|
|
Old 2011-03-07, 4:29pm

By law, each company can make their own standards, as long as they are clear and universally followed.

As a customer, I would neither expect, nor demand it.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-03-07, 4:47pm

I've had some stores do different things. If I take the receipt in within 30 days of the sale they refund the difference. It varies. I guess if you don't have a policy you don't have to do anything. The one time I insisted hubby take the receipt in and get the difference is because it was on a high ticket item and they did have a policy in the store posted and on the website.

Old 2011-03-07, 5:04pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
By law, each company can make their own standards, as long as they are clear and universally followed.

as a RESPECTABLE customer. (and responsible consumer)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-07, 5:09pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

I can understand the big box stores being able to do whatever they want financially. Their markup is insane on a good portion of the products they carry.

When you are A store (not 100 locations) the markup is just not there to honor past sales prices.

I actually do the same thing that Paula does. If I put something on sale and I have not shipped that product to someone yet, I will give them the sales price and it is a nice surprise for them when they look at their invoice.

Dave, I have to say, that what you are describing is way to familiar. Initials would not be K.L. would they?

Old 2011-03-07, 5:20pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Well I ordered some 104 from you guys what? One or two weeks ago? This morning I opened my mail and saw the sale and I was like, "Ooo, a sale, too bad I'm broke."

To me as a consumer a sale is for a specific amount of time and if you miss it, you miss it.

Old 2011-03-07, 5:24pm
Loving learning

If I buy something today, and it goes on sale tomorrow, I just say "dang! If I'd waited I could have got a better deal" and live with it.

Same thing if I buy today and the prices go up tomorrow, I say "WooHoo! saved some money!"
Old 2011-03-07, 5:33pm
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
I can understand the big box stores being able to do whatever they want financially. Their markup is insane on a good portion of the products they carry.
My thoughts exactly.

I stock up when there's a sale. If there's something I need and have to buy at regular price, it's my bad that I didn't buy it when it was on sale.

Old 2011-03-07, 5:45pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
We just had someone who placed an order a week before our current sale started. I was hung up on multiple times, cussed at, and told that unless I retroactively apply the sale to her order, she would post bad about us, and never order again.

Are we crazy? If Target offers a lamp on sale for 2 weeks, should the person who bought it full price 2 weeks before, be entitled to go in and get their money back? I would be putting myself in a position to have to retroactively apply sales to all orders. What do you guys think? Seems pretty much common sense, that specific sale dates are specific sale dates
Actually, MANY stores will honor sales prices on previously sold items within a certain period of time - 14 days and 30 days are both ones I have seen. Kohl's, TJ Maxx, Target, Best Buy all do it, to name a few. I have just had to take my receipt in.

ETA - not sure if I would expect you to do it, but I would probably ask if it had been less than a week.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.

Last edited by squid; 2011-03-07 at 5:48pm.
Old 2011-03-07, 6:09pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I don't know how you can compare Target (a huge corporation with lots of money) to a small glass vendor who's just trying to pay the bills.

Old 2011-03-07, 6:35pm
Critter Mom

I'm with Eileen on this one...it's a bummer if I miss a sale, but that's just the way it is. If I don't really "need" something then I'll wait and hope it goes on sale, and hope they don't sell out and discontinue the item.

It's nice that the big retailers can give customers sale prices even if items were purchased prior to the sale, but I don't "expect" it from anyone unless it's offered in a promotion or just part of their written SOP.

Old 2011-03-07, 7:26pm
I'm meeeeelting

The reality is that if people were shopping locally, they could return the item and repurchase it at the sale price. That's probably why many stores honor the sale price.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-03-07, 7:40pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
The reality is that if people were shopping locally, they could return the item and repurchase it at the sale price. That's probably why many stores honor the sale price.
If people did that to me, and they were using a CC is would wreck my business.
CC fees for the first buy, then the CC fees for the return, then CC fees for the second buy *at a sale price*??? Easier not to have 'sales'.

Old 2011-03-07, 7:42pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
I don't know how you can compare Target (a huge corporation with lots of money) to a small glass vendor who's just trying to pay the bills.
Seriously. It's apples to oranges.

Old 2011-03-07, 9:31pm

Quote:
Quote:
as a RESPECTABLE customer. (and responsible consumer)
Wow, and here I was just talking as me.

I wouldn't be going back to other stores for a refund/price adjustment right after something I bought went on sale, either, my bad timing. I will, however, wait for sales for large items - like boxes of glass...

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-03-07, 10:31pm

Quote:
Dave, I have to say, that what you are describing is way to familiar. Initials would not be K.L. would they?
Usually her M.O. is to say something wasn't right but God I hope she's not back.

Another "small" vendor piping in here. I never know when I'm having a sale but if a customer bought from me the day before or so and asked for the discount, I would give it to them. They may have waited a day or so had they known

Old 2011-03-07, 11:17pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Quote:
Usually her M.O. is to say something wasn't right but God I hope she's not back.
Yeh, but the cussing and hanging up on you and the threatening to never order from you again and threatening to speak badly about you on the internet sure fits.

Old 2011-03-08, 12:02am

Yea true. You know though, I could understand wanting the sale price and stuff but if they threatened me and were going to smear my reputation or something like that, I wouldn't honor the sale for them. You can be nice about it but as soon as a customer gets rude and demanding?? That's a deal breaker for me. I have no problem with them taking their business elsewhere.

Old 2011-03-08, 5:05am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I also think a sale is luck of the draw - sometimes I get lucky and an item I need is on sale, sometimes not - If I need it then, I buy it then. Still no excuse for all the bad behavior on the customer's part. Your company has always been great! In fact I just had a "senior moment" yesterday and ordered the Marble Techniques for Flameworkers book - which wouldn't have been a problem normally - except after I ordered it, I realized I had just ordered the same book on Saturday!!
I sent you an email - hopefully, you'll be able to stop the second book from arriving - but, if not, oh well - my mistake!!!! Someone will be getting lucky in the Garage Sale, lol!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!