No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-08, 6:19pm
Oh No You Didn't!

But I want the Psyche!.....LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is............. Deb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-02-08, 9:40pm
A Splash o' Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio View Post
Barbara, they aren't actually the same color. From what I understand, the River Rock was basically a mistake that was made when they were making the Avocado. So it's different then the Avocado and it's also the reason they can't make more of it. Because they don't know how they made it in the first place.

Hopefully someone will figure it out though.

Debra
You're right, they aren't the same between Avocado and Avocado Odd. The regular Avocado is #591210 and the odd, called Avocado Odd, is #791931. I have both, but the 791931 is the same as what's called River Rock.

If all the suppliers would post the same #'s as the mfg. companies use to identify their glass colors, it would make it a lot easier for us to determine what we're buying instead of relying on esoteric names that each supplier wants to give them.

Old 2008-02-09, 12:55am

Ahhhhh, but that way they sell more. because we have no willpower to resist new glass!
Old 2008-02-09, 7:56am

Aww to bad we had such short notice on this special Mike, I would have ordered but just missed it. Oh well, me loss again.
Old 2008-02-09, 8:06am
phrit phreak

and psyche

Old 2008-02-09, 8:16am
A True Woofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbbeads View Post
You're right, they aren't the same between Avocado and Avocado Odd. The regular Avocado is #591210 and the odd, called Avocado Odd, is #791931. I have both, but the 791931 is the same as what's called River Rock.
Right. Plus Avocado is an Effetre color and River Rock is a Vetrofond color. 591... is used to designate an Effetre color and 791... a Vetrofond color. So you can tell at a glance they're different manufacturers.

Old 2008-02-09, 12:00pm
One Crazy Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBird View Post
and psyche
oh that is a yummy yummy bead!!!!!!!

Old 2008-02-09, 1:11pm
They see me rollin'...

Here are some BHB's I made the for BHB/Biagi/Pandora exchange. They are river rock, terra and psyche. I love how the river rock was fumed by the silver glasses and looks like really ancient ivory.

I'm so glad I bought a lot of rr when it was first available! I've been stretching it by using a base of vetrofond dark ivory, then putting a little rr on top.

I really like the vetrofond dark ivory too (the odd semi/translucent one). It's also pretty cheap! It doesn't curdle like the rr, but otherwise is very nice. I wouldn't pay extra for the really translucent rods though...it pretty much turns opaque anyway, unless you make a quick disk.

I got mine from Jessica at Phoenix. I just got more last week and it is pretty translucent, if you are worried about that.

Love the beads in this thread!!

-Patti

-Patti
Old 2008-02-09, 9:28pm
phrit phreak

Thanks Sondra

Old 2008-02-09, 9:38pm
Angel-Headed Hipster

I wonder........

The beads that Lisi showed the other day? The ones with the ivory burnished with silver foil then dotted with clear??? Would it work even better with River Rock in place of the ivory?????

~ It's not what ya got, but how you move it.

HH w/bulk MAPP~~~~No Classes, No Tuts, No Name, No Slogan, No Fear
Old 2008-02-09, 11:03pm
Glass-A-Holic ^..^

I bought 2 lbs of river rock from LB Supply a long time ago with Lemon Merigue, cool white and other colors. The rods are brown/translucent is this the same stuff everyone is using? I would test a rod out but I am packing up my glass to move and don't even have a torch available.

Alaina

Old 2008-02-10, 6:15am
phrit phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleaf View Post
I bought 2 lbs of river rock from LB Supply a long time ago with Lemon Merigue, cool white and other colors. The rods are brown/translucent is this the same stuff everyone is using? I would test a rod out but I am packing up my glass to move and don't even have a torch available.
yes, look back at page 2..Rainygirl posted a pick of the glass w/ her beads. It's a funky brown translucent. There's a couple of different batches..a smooth one and a rough one from what I've read here.

Old 2008-02-16, 2:49pm

i have a lots of about 3 rods left and I am skeered to use it, because I love it and when its gone... eeekkkkkkkkkk, maybe I will make myself a set or something!!!

Old 2008-02-17, 12:32pm

hello avocado odd lovers
I am a big fan of its effects too, these are made with the rough rods. Don't you think, that this blue seam looks soooooo dreamy over black??
"greek frame", "greek avenue" and "greek memories"
and I added a detailed view... yumm!
Attached Images

Last edited by perlienne; 2008-02-17 at 12:35pm.
Old 2008-02-17, 7:56pm
Always smiling, again.

WOW Perlienne! Those are beautiful!

Old 2008-02-17, 9:21pm
Present tense

River Rock base, Terra under the large dots...and I have forgotten what the smaller dots are! River Rock is a *wonderful* glass!

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2008-02-18, 6:29am

I just have to say "WOW" at all those beautiful beads made from Naos and Kevan. Also the set made by Bizle is gorgeous. I am so glad that I bought all the River Rock I could from the Store in London Ont when I heard that you coulnd't buy it anymore. I love playing with it but nothing I made is near as nice as Naos and Kevan. But it sure does give me lots of ideas. This is such a wonderful site, I learn so much from all the experts. Thanks.
CJ.
Old 2008-02-18, 6:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbbeads View Post

If all the suppliers would post the same #'s as the mfg. companies use to identify their glass colors, it would make it a lot easier for us to determine what we're buying instead of relying on esoteric names that each supplier wants to give them.
I have never ran into that problem, thankfully, I only deal with the one store that is near me in London On. Canada so maybe that is why I haven't. I know they use all the manufactures #s on all their rods they sell. But I will have to watch out for the if I am some where else and am thinking of buying rods etc. Thanks for pointing that out. I am fairly new to all of this.
CJ.
Old 2008-02-19, 12:06am

thanks bjdud!
Old 2008-02-19, 4:36am
as in the state

I'm glad I got 1/4 lb when I was in California.

Now, to find out exactly how I want to use it.

That's the problem with odd lots. I want to melt them, but I want to keep a rod or two to fondle and collect dust.

Naos, your river rock and silver glass swirly bead (sorry, I don't remember the name) is gorgeous! You do fantastic work.

-Amy