Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-21, 12:03pm

Default Pendant/materials ideas?

This is my first electroformed bead. I am keeping it for me!

I want to wrap it to wear on a chain. I usually use sterling silver wire and do a simple wrap to a bail and then slip that onto an omega chain. I know, not the most creative thing to do but my beads are so big it's usually enough and it fits my style and skill level.

I will wear this one but I have produced others and want to sell some of them as finished pendants too.

My thought on using silver wire is that when it's time to clean it then it might mess up the copper even though the copper has been sealed with renaissance wax.

I thought about using gold filled wire or even 14k but it doesn't seem right. I thought about using copper but I don't want it to rub off on anybody and most people don't have a copper chain anyway and it seemed cheap and not what I wanted to convey.

The beads are pretty heavy because of their size and also because of the copper build-up so I don't think silk strings are a good idea. I've never used leather cording or rubber- it's ok but most of my market uses silver or gold to hang stuff off of.

Any ideas on what will look right and not be tacky? Should I just go ahead and use silver or gold? Is there something I'm not thinking of?
Old 2008-02-21, 12:10pm

I don't know a thing (technically) about the copper on the bead Krista. I do know that when I use copper beads in my jewellery, which is solid sterling, that they all go into the tumbler together just fine. Also, on the silver dip (Hagerty's) that I use in "emergencies", it is labelled as safe for both sterling and copper. Don't know if that's what you're asking or not

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2008-02-21, 12:38pm

I'm just trying to figure out a way to wire it up and have it look classy and not tacky! LOL

My default is always sterling but it seemed to clash with the copper. The copper is sealed but a chain and/or wrap wouldn't be and I don't want to sell (or wear) something that's going to ruin a blouse.

Maybe I can use a bali bail and it would look ok, not so shiny?

I can make beads all day long but when it comes to making it into a finished piece I'm terrible at it. I didn't think about silver cleaner being ok to use on copper, thank you for that information!
Old 2008-02-21, 12:49pm

My instinct would be to use sterling wire, Bali beads, and a hint of turquoise (stone) as part of the pendant. As for hanging? Maybe a silken cord with a clasp of sterling, Bali, and turquoise, or a heavy sterling chain.

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2008-02-21, 12:50pm

I think that patina'd silver would be the way to go, nothing too shiny. You also might try incorporating some really small say 2mm copper beads on the sterling wire that you wrap with to tie the two together.
Old 2008-02-21, 12:54pm

Thank you for the great ideas! I want to get this pendant taken care of this weekend, I have someplace to go that I want to wear it.

Not all the beads have the blue patina on them, I wish they did. Some have more green or are just more "old penny" looking.

I plan on graduating to silver electroforming in the future but I like the copper look for now and wanted to mess around with it awhile before I invest in all the silver stuff. I am also hoping silver prices drop again before I take that plunge.
Old 2008-02-21, 1:00pm

Krista, www.blacktulipdesigns.com has (or had) some really nice vintage copper beads a while ago. I've made some great sterling jewellery that incorporated them (I'm actually wearing a pair of earrings with some...I just couldn't give them all up!!!! It's rare that I keep anything but I just had to keep some )

J.
Old 2008-02-21, 1:06pm

Thanks for the link!
Old 2008-02-21, 3:51pm
Guera loca

Krista, the bead is gorgeous.

I would use silver, since that's what you like. But I would incorporate some copper or copper-colored glass beads, along with some stone or glass beads in green or ivory, in making the strand to keep with the copper theme, so the silver would be there but would not dominate or clash.

Whatever you do, be sure to show us!!!

Barb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- our restaurant
Old 2008-02-21, 4:32pm

I will! I really wanted to just wrap it onto a bail and be done with it, not design a whole necklace. I do think I'll try silver and see what happens. I can always cut it apart if I don't like it. I think I'll get a few small copper beads and use those instead of the silver too and see if I like the way it looks.
Old 2008-02-22, 10:17pm
Glass-aholic

this would look great on died silk!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-23, 6:34am

It's heavy though! If I wire wrapped it to a bail and then put it on the silk it might be ok but I still need to figure out what to use to wrap it. I'm really leaning toward silver and incorporating some small copper beads as has been suggested. I'm in Savannah for the weekend. I wanted to wear it but didn't get it done in time. There is a bead store here and I'll see if they have any copper that I can use when I get home.
Old 2008-02-23, 12:00pm
Glass-aholic

i don't know much about electro-forming, but it would be neat to take the silver beads you want to use and partially electro-form them too! that would be cool!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: