LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-18, 1:56am

Default Belladonna glass leaving yellow stains on ivory?

I just took my batch of effetre dark ivory with belladonna midnight magic from the kiln. On some of the beads, there is a yellow staining around the midnight magic. It seems to be the most on the ones where the belladonna glass was not reduced properly, but on others too. Could it be that the metals in the glass 'fumed' the ivory?
Any thoughts on this? Any chance I could get rid of the stains, and how I can prevent this in a future batch?
I batch annealed the beads, and the yellow was not there when the beads went into the kiln.

Last edited by Floorkasp; 2013-05-18 at 2:04am.
Old 2013-05-18, 8:04am
Salt Box Beads

Did you ask Donna Milliron? I am sure she would be very helpful since she created this glass and probably knows it better than anyone.
Old 2013-05-18, 8:11am
Glass Addict

Isn't that the silver in the bella donna glass off fuming onto the ivory?? I've had that happen with DH too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-18, 11:24pm

I think it's highly likely that the silver glass is fuming the ivory. I use a lot of silver glass and find that if I use it on any pale or light opaque and some transparent glass, it always fumes it.

Old 2013-05-19, 9:05am

Thanks everyone. If it is indeed fuming the ivory, I guess there is no way around it...? Just not use this combo?
Old 2013-05-19, 11:42am
da General

Most reducing silver glass will fume the base bead, opaque or transparent. The longer you work the bead, the more it will fume, and some fume faster than others.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-05-19, 11:45am
Tweedle Dumb

No way! That's a super cool effect once you know how to control it. They sell well, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorkasp View Post
Thanks everyone. If it is indeed fuming the ivory, I guess there is no way around it...? Just not use this combo?

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2013-05-19, 12:14pm
Ad astra per aspera

You can encase the ivory and layer the silver glass on top of the clear, if that suits your design. It's generally only on the surface, so you can sometimes give it a very light etch (only on the ivory) to correct it, or swab it with toilet bowl cleanser.

Old 2013-05-19, 12:19pm

It may be a nice effect if you are looking for it, but it was not a nice surprise to me...... Especially since they looked good when they went into the kiln. Makes sense that it comes from working it longer. The beads that had it the most were the ones that I struggled with the reduction. So a lot of messing around with those....
Old 2013-05-19, 4:56pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Don't worry - someone will surely love them. It's an effect many of us try for deliberately

I was asked to make a Clio hot pink bead by a customer, however when I sent the pics, it was rejected because of the fuming. 'I didn't want any yellow'. Oh well.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107