Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-14, 7:07am
Flamewoman

Default Bullseye Room?

Soft glass rules this forum, Boro has a room, what about 90coe?
I got some bullseye at the gathering and have some questions.
I also got some pretty dichro for bullseye, it has clear on one side, but when I try to apply it I'm at a loss at how to hold it to not burn the dichro side. So I got some ucky gray stripes. I used my soft glass program to anneal it, is that ok?
Also, I have a bunch of Riechenbac (spelling?) frits are they compatible with the bullseye? Someone told me they were.
Any tips on this glass appreciated, or tell me where the bullseye room is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-08-14, 7:12am

Default Great Idea

Yes that would be a good idea to have a BE Room- I love BE - have only worked with it a few times - but- to me it is not as runny and therefore I feel as though I have more control....probably just a newbie thing...
Old 2008-08-14, 9:38am

Reichenbach frits work wonderfully with Bullseye!
Old 2008-08-14, 9:53am
Dangerous Woman

I think we have asked Corrie a few times for a BE room. Maybe we have to resort to bribes.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-08-14, 10:25am
formerly JewelsByJenny

I would love a BE room too! I recently switched because of their beautiful colors.

Jenny

Old 2008-08-14, 11:27am
Living out Loud

Thanks for starting this thread. I am getting ready to work with bullseye and I have some dichro. What is the correct temp. to anneal bullseye glass?Thanks everyone.
Old 2008-08-14, 11:53am
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Soft glass rules this forum, Boro has a room, what about 90coe?
I got some bullseye at the gathering and have some questions.
I also got some pretty dichro for bullseye, it has clear on one side, but when I try to apply it I'm at a loss at how to hold it to not burn the dichro side. So I got some ucky gray stripes. I used my soft glass program to anneal it, is that ok?
Also, I have a bunch of Riechenbac (spelling?) frits are they compatible with the bullseye? Someone told me they were.
Any tips on this glass appreciated, or tell me where the bullseye room is.
Here's a thread for now. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=100698

Type Bullseye into the search function for now, and you can research the threads.
Hope that helps presently.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann

Last edited by jhana; 2008-08-14 at 12:03pm.
Old 2008-08-14, 12:07pm
Flamewoman

Thank you jhana those are wonderful threads, the pictures in the first one are incredible! I think Bullseye really needs it's own room. Beautiful glass! now I'll have to see what colors I got. Thanks!!!

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-08-14, 12:21pm
><>

It is nothing Mary, but you are welcome.
There are a few Bullseye testers sharing their knowledge and pictures
generously as I'm sure you'll see in the threads.
I'll take this opportunity to thank them.
Thank you!!!!

Oh, and I'd like a room too, but that might mean someone would have to peruse
the threads for significant Bullseye info in order to put them in said room?
I don't know.
That could be a part time job.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
Old 2008-08-14, 1:29pm

I have a nice little Bullseye stash, but I haven't touched it. I emailed the peeps at Bullseye(very helpful, btw)and got an annealing schedule. Now I have to figure out how to program it into my kiln. So until then, the glass sits.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-14, 1:37pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

what kind of kiln do you have? Someone here on LE can probably help you program it.

I anneal my 104 the same as my BE, so you might be able to use the one you already have programmed.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-14, 2:09pm
Dangerous Woman

I do my 104 and 90 at the same temp too. Sometimes in the same session.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-08-14, 2:43pm

Oh, I'd love help! I have a Paragon SC3 with the digital controller. I work boro only right now, so that's the schedule I have programmed in with success. Got ideas?
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-08-14, 2:56pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
I do my 104 and 90 at the same temp too. Sometimes in the same session.
I used to, too, when I still worked with BE. 104, 96, 90....it's ALL soft glass.

Old 2008-08-14, 3:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertracey View Post
Oh, I'd love help! I have a Paragon SC3 with the digital controller. I work boro only right now, so that's the schedule I have programmed in with success. Got ideas?
I work with silver glass a lot, so I anneal at a lower temp than most - I anneal at 930 for 2 hours. I hold at 925, then ramp to 930 and then cool down at 200 dph to 500 degrees.

The normal anneal temp for BE is around 968, so a full ramp to 960 as your hold and then anneal at 968 for an hour should be good for most anything a beadmaker does.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-14, 3:11pm
Borovangelist

Might be a good idea, but where do you throw the system 96 people? Trapped between COE's, roaming the forum without a home. They are....the 96'ers.

But then you also have the Satake crowd. And what about the quartz workers? Won't someone think of the quartz workers!!!! Seriously..where *do* they hang? I've yet to run across a quartz heavy forum.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying that maybe there isn't that much of a need for a split because normally if you can't find it using the search, you just toss up the question and a bunch of BE addicts are around.

|
|
Old 2008-08-14, 6:31pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
you just toss up the question and a bunch of BE addicts are around.
Ahem. I prefer "devotee" - much less declasse.

And just as an FYI - my enamellingn kiln won't garage below 1000, so I do lose out on some of the prettier silver colors in BE.
Old 2008-08-14, 7:47pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

LOL Lisa

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-14, 8:21pm

I bought BE as a b-day present and haven't played too much, I haven't had the time. But I would love a BE room!!

Old 2008-08-14, 9:18pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Ahem. I prefer "devotee" - much less declasse.

And just as an FYI - my enamellingn kiln won't garage below 1000, so I do lose out on some of the prettier silver colors in BE.

That's ok, I prefer 'junkie' when referring to my boro hoarding lol

|
|
Old 2008-08-14, 9:26pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I prefer ho

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-14, 9:41pm
Flamewoman

You guys are all to much, that's why I love you all. One thing for sure is glass peeps do have to have a sense of humor. now back to one of my questions: How do you hold your stick of dichro so it doesn't burn off the dichro? Seems like its all backwards, I want the clear side to wind up on top or outer edge of the bead but then that puts the flame on the dichro side and it burns up, or is there something I dont know? Must be.....well actually there is a hecka lot I don't know, and I'm sure I've forgotten more that I now know.
and Menty666 that is not you in your avatar picture isit? or isit?( I've always wondered)

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-08-14, 9:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I hold my bead and dichro under the flame so that the clear side on top is where the flame is hitting.

Oh and I am pretty sure that pic is Abe Vigoda

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-15, 1:20am
><>

Be careful to not let the flame curl around and lick the sides,
or it will scum the edges.
It's some tricky 'chit'.
Old 2008-08-15, 11:33am
It's all about the color.

As far as I know, techniques for working the different coes of glasses are all pretty much the same. I work on a hothead and except for melting time, I pretty much treat 90 the same as 96 and 104. I don't really vary my technique.

>> How do you hold your stick of dichro so it doesn't burn off the dichro?

Kind of think of the strip of dichro as a bubble blowing wand. How you hold it to your lips to blow bubbles is pretty much the same as how you hold the dichro in relation to the flame except you can come in from the top - just make sure the side away from the flame is the dichro side and you have the dichro strip between the flame and the bead. You will have to turn the bead so that the top turns toward you as you apply the dichro. If not, the dichro will end up on the outside, not inside. If the strip is too short to hold, you'll have to put it on a punty.

If you still can't visualize it, let me know and I'll try to get or draw a pix of it.

-Kay

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Last edited by Listenup; 2008-08-15 at 11:38am.
Old 2008-08-15, 12:17pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
and Menty666 that is not you in your avatar picture isit? or isit?( I've always wondered)
Nope, that's the man, the legend, the institution, Mr. Abe Vigoda!

I'm a wee bit younger, but don't have much more hair

|
|
Old 2008-08-15, 12:18pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post

Oh and I am pretty sure that pic is Abe Vigoda
Who's to say Abe can't be a lamper? *giggle*

|
|