Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-23, 10:18pm
Crispy Critter

Default Straight Bead Reamer Vendor?

Someone makes bead reamers that are straight, rather than tapered. I believe they made them for a couple different size bead holes. Can anyone remember who they are?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-23, 10:26pm
Lampworkaholic!

Art in the Round.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-12-23, 11:58pm
Crispy Critter

That's it, thank you!!!

Old 2012-12-26, 5:37pm

These are straight, too: http://www.lopacki.com/drills/

I've been using them for years; they are really nice.

Nolly
Old 2012-12-26, 6:17pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Art in the Round.
$35 for one reamer??? Are they really worth that kind of money?????
Old 2012-12-26, 6:33pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Yes!!! They last forever & they get them to you fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post

Vivian

-

Old 2012-12-26, 6:43pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
In my opinion, no. I use the cheapo tapered ones that cost about $1 apiece.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-12-26, 7:39pm
Co-owner

I only carry the tapered. May I ask for my own knowledge why you prefer the straight style?

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576
Old 2012-12-26, 9:13pm
Crispy Critter

I've never used a straight one, but it seems to make sense that it would work better and faster since bead holes are straight.

Angie, I sent an email asking the same thing. I'll pay $35 for a bead reamer, but you're going to have to sell me on it. There's not much of a description on their website.

Oh, and after taking another look, the grinding part of the reamer is a lot longer on the Art in the Round product. I couldn't use the Lopacki reamer on the long beads I like to make.

Last edited by chrisdd; 2012-12-26 at 9:15pm.
Old 2012-12-26, 11:21pm
FireBeads

Art in the Round reamers don't play well with all bead releases. I think Fusion is the hardest on them. I've used them and like them but they don't last forever for me - I use Fusion.
Old 2012-12-27, 5:52am

I bought Art In the Rounds reamer because of the "lasts forever" promise, but "forever" came too quick for me. I'm back to the cheapies that seem to last just as long. I use Fusion too.

Old 2012-12-27, 6:16am

I've only ever used straight ones, mostly the Dremel ones you can easily find in the local hardware store. I don't like tapered ones because the holes are straight and it's much faster to clean with straight ones.

I have one BeadDreamer from when they were first created, something like 6 or 7 years ago. At the time they only came in one size and it's not the one I use most so I don't use it all that much. They do work well but I've found you have to have a lot of water for lubrification, otherwise the bead holes tend to chip.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2012-12-27, 7:36am
Sheila Davis Designs

I love my Beadreamers! I make alot of beads and I've had mine (both sizes) for about 3 years with no problems. I use Fusion too.

Old 2012-12-27, 12:49pm

Dave recommends using Blue Sludge or Sludge bead release with the reamers but I have used various other releases including Fusion and my beadreamers last 3-4 years with heavy use on long beads. They are definitely worth the $$ because they make cleaning beads fast and easy.

Old 2012-12-27, 5:53pm
Lauscha Lady

Love the BeaDreamers so much I sell them in my Shoppe as well as use them in the Studio and they last forever! There is over an inch of diamond grit on them -cleans the bead quickly and easily. /grace

Old 2012-12-29, 1:22pm
Flame On!

Try this link
http://www.widgetsupply.com/category/bead-reamer.html

They have some straight skinny ones. I have never used those, but I use the large ones everyday and I love them!!! I use both the skinny long ones and the fat long ones. The short chubbies are sorta useless. There is so much length on these that they are almost "straight". They only taper at the tip, so if you put the bead past that, you'll get a straight surface. The price on everything at Widget is great!