Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-02-01, 5:36pm

Default macro lens- do you really need it?

Hi,
I am looking at the Canon Rebel T3 to purchase. It looks like a great beginner camera.
I have heard that a macro lens is preferable to the lens that normally comes packaged with it.
Any comments as to what you use for your close up lens and is the macro lens all that?
Would love to hear what you think.
Thank you in advance,
Joan
Old 2013-02-01, 5:41pm

We tried the macro extender rings, but the edges of the picture ended up fuzzy. Finally got a macro for Christmas. And by that, I mean my husband, since it's his camera, and his pictures...

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-02-01, 6:09pm

I like the Canon extension tubes. They do a great job of turning any lens I put on my camera into a macro lens... even my 100-400 zoom. I've used the tubes with this and my 70-200 a number of times as it lets me focus a lot closer than normal but it still gives me working distance from what I'm shooting and a better depth of field than shooting with a focal length lens where you have a very narrow depth of field and have to be within inches or less of the object you are shooting. The tubes don't have glass in them, so you do not get any degradation and they come in several length sizes so you can use the one that works or gang them together to be able to get really close to count the hairs on a baby gnats behind.

Mike
Old 2013-02-01, 6:20pm

A lot depends on how small an object you intend to photograph. We have a Canon XTi and XSi -- earlier versions of the camera you are looking to purchase. Both of them came with a 18 - 55 mm "kit" lens. That lens will focus as close as 4 inches which, if you are taking a picture of a lampwork bead will pretty much "fill the frame". What will be critical when shooting that close is the depth of field that will be in focus. To get it with a bead you will probably need to use a small f-stop (high number like f/22). That ability to get the depth of field will be primary to you getting an infocus picture.

What the macro lens does for you is mostly "flatten" the infocus area. A regular lens the depth of focus will be be curved like the actual lens is. Macro lenses also have a narrow depth of field. Quite often photographers taking pictures of small objects such as insects will take several pictures moving the focus point and them assemble them in photoediting software -- a process called "focus stacking". That can be a tedious process.

My advice would be to get the camera with the included lens and try working with it before going to the expense of a macro lens. You will have a lot of sorting out to do with your setup to get the results you want. Then, if you still feel the need for a macro lens get one. Or try to rent one. If you deal with a camera store they usually will work with you and let you rent or even try a lens out. You pay a little more but you usually get super service from them.

Plan on having to use a tripod or some sort of stabilizing device to get good pictures. Even with image stabilizing lenses (most kit lenses have this feature) trying to handhold the camera is very difficult. I always use a tripod and a remote shutter release ("cable release" type that plugs into the camera runs $20 to $30 and very worth it. It keeps you from moving or shaking the camera when you press the shutter release.) You can also use the camera's shutter delay timer to cut down on camera shake. It just takes an extra 10 seconds to take the picture.

Just some suggestions to getting good close pictures that are "tack sharp". Expect some frustations but don't let them get in the way of having lots of fun taking your pictures. When you finally get the setup right the "eureka!" moment is worth it.

Old 2013-02-01, 10:25pm

without a doubt you will get better results with a macro prime lens say a 60mm or 105mm
I use my 60mm macro for almost all of glass shots.
that being said you can still get good shots using a zoom lens.
the problem is all lenses have a min focal distance and you can have an issue of not being able to get a close enough shot of a bead with a non macro lens.
you want to use as much of your sensor as possible when taking a shot so when you work with the photo you do not have to crop and enlarge a small object which will loose resolution.

#C-151
Old 2013-02-01, 10:41pm
Alaska Boro

For this example of a 14 mm bead, the setup is using a Canon 100 - 400 plus one extension ring. This provides sufficient distance from the lens to the bead. In this case 15 inches.

A tripod is necessary along with sufficient light to expose in the F18 to F22 range. To remove the issue with hot spots both strobes are filtered with polarizing film along with a CP on the lens. ASA 200 at 1/200 shutter speed at F18.

Old 2013-02-02, 1:16am

I have the anon EOS Rebel T3i and LOVE it! I too tried playing around with extender rings in different combinations-- did not like the results. Then a deal came along on Amazondotcom and I got the 50mm that takes a beautiful pic. I make jewelry and needed the depth of field the wide angle lens provided. I'm real happy with my equipment. If only I could replace my eyes the same way I change a camera lens I would be much happier with my pics. I'm looking at shadows I want to get rid of blah, blah, blah. You don't have to get the lens immediately unless they're offering a super discount. I believe in buying the best I can afford. The pocketbook (and lots of research will make my decisions for me. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 2013-02-20, 6:34pm

update:
Thank you for all of your information!
I bought the CanonT3. It is a really nice camera......
The camera actually came with 2 lenses- one of which is a macro!
It was on sale for the same price as the camera with only one lens.
Thanks again for your help! It is greatly appreciated.
Joan