Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-06, 10:17am

Default Silver Glass Twisties

Anyone willing to share how they use the silver glass to make twisties? Do you use the silver glass and stripe with transparent or opaque? What colors seem to work best? Do you ever try mixing the glass and twisting it before you pull stringers? I have just spent ?? hours reviewing the silver glass thread and just can't quite put my finger on how to make the twisties. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sharon
Old 2007-03-06, 10:27am

I'd be interested in an answer to this one as well, but I think its a fairly closely guarded secret among those in the know............. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-03-06, 11:31am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

If when you say silver glass, you are talking reduction glass...it's pretty straight forward and surely no guarded secret that I'm aware of. The key to using any of the reduction glass is remembering that a little goes a long way. Some of my favorities start with a base gather of OY or EDP....the apply stripes of stringer thickness in what ever colors you want....turquoise, copper green are some of my favorites....then I add a few stripes of reduction glass - maybe about 1/3 the # of stripes as the other glass.....heat and pull/twist what ever you choose to do.....I form my complex canes/twisties from a gather that is cone shaped and then use a metal chop stick to pull the stringer or twistie. Hope that helps....if not....give me a little more info on exactly what you are trying to make happen and I'll see if I can help.

Old 2007-03-06, 1:43pm

These beads were made with a twist of Silver Rattan and Elektra. They both seem to pop wih the same amount of reduction which is pretty much why I used them together. I made a set the other day with a twist made of light gray, brown and Kandinsky. Kandinsky is a silver glass too but it doesn't need reduction. I don't think there's a trick, you'd just not want to put something that doesn't reduce nice with a glass that does. A few I can think of that don't look so great reduced would be EDP, new violet, rubino (maybe, maybe not). There are some that I think look good reduced but maybe somebody else wouldn't think so. Plus these glasses are pretty new with cool stuff just waiting to be discovered.
Anyway....for these I just got a big glob of Silver Rattan on the end of a mandrel and added 2 big stripes of Elektra and twisted. Now that I look at them again it looks like there could be a small stripe of Intense Black too.

Old 2007-03-06, 10:17pm

Thanks Lynn and Rebecca. What I had in mind is more like what Rebecca showed in her GORGEOUS beads. I think I will make a twistie out of gaia and nyx and see what happens. Hmm, wonder what would happen if you made a twistie with gaia stripped with gaia. Think I will give it a shot.

You guys rock. Thats for the replies.
Old 2007-03-07, 1:14am

Wow those are stunning! Thanks for sharing your twistie recipe.

Old 2007-03-07, 5:43pm

Thanks for the props! Hey SLY, if they come out we want to see them, sounds like a cool combo!

Old 2007-03-07, 6:17pm

The 'How to' technique is here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3450

The colors ?? someone else have suggestions ? some other combinations are given further into the thread above as well !

Thanks Kimberley for the Tut !
~~

Old 2007-03-09, 2:57pm

Here are the results of my experiments so far. I hate showing my work because I feel so-o-o inadequate after seeing everyone elses beautiful work (like Barara's), but here goes.

Here I just took a gob of gaia and twisted it all by itself, don't see much difference from just straight off the rod gaia. Have to say, it was a pretty nice bead until I added that obscene wormy cane. What was I thinking.

Next, I made a gather of gaia and striped it with a stringer of nyx. This is more of what I was looking for. Will try Barbar's suggestion and add a thin black stringer next time.

Here is a closup of the twistie.

Here I just put on lines of gaia and nyx randomly applied. Sure looks nicer in person. Has a real glow to it. I like it. It is wierd how the picture lets you see what you don't when you look at the bead. Looks like the bead is wearing a hat, because you can see through the clear to the back.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything else exciting. Love all of you for so generously sharing your ideas and pictures.

Sharon
Old 2007-03-09, 3:26pm

They ALL look great but the middle one with the gaia and nyx is killer!

Old 2007-03-09, 3:37pm
Life is change. Love it

Beautiful beads Sharon!!

Try Nyx with black twisties, laid on black then encased. Just made a set, no pics yet.

Old 2007-03-09, 5:35pm
Colors outside the lines

What is "nyx" and where do you buy it?

Leah
Old 2007-03-09, 7:10pm

I like to make twisties with silver plum and intense black - you get black with shiny metallic silver stripes. (Also works with intense black + copper green, but not as shiny.)
Also, try clear + cobalt twisties, melt into the bead and put silver leaf/foil over them - the effect is really cool!

|
|
|
Old 2007-03-09, 7:15pm

Sharon, those are beautiful. I am afraid you are right on that first one, kind worm looking. The second one is just beautiful!!!!! The colors and the subtle twist are amazing. The third one a very cool. I looks like the silver colors are floating above the bead.

Sarah - Lovely, as always. I really like the poink color on top. Great idea with the silver plum

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-03-09, 8:02pm

Oh my, I am truly humbled by your kind comments. Sarah and Carolyn, I cannot wait to try your suggestions. Thanks so much for the advice.

Leah, Nyx is from Double Helix - here is the link. http://www.doublehelixglassworks.com...TS&Category=32

Thanks all. Keep posting those beautifule beads, especially if they have twisties in them.

Sharon
Old 2007-03-09, 8:12pm
Damn Frit Bitch

All the beads are gorgeous!!! I like the wormy bead.... Just goes to show that even something that you don't like will be liked by someone else....
Old 2008-09-16, 2:16pm
Glass-aholic

BUMP for twistie exchange!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-09-16, 3:03pm

Lots of twistie recipes on our blog too.

http://seraphimflameworks.blogspot.com/
Old 2008-09-16, 6:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Elim View Post
Lots of twistie recipes on our blog too.

http://seraphimflameworks.blogspot.com/
Wow! That's rad!

|
Old 2008-09-17, 11:10am
Glass-aholic

i stalk your blog on a regular basis

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-09-17, 5:57pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

Why hasn't anyone ever created a twistie recipe book? I know that there's a boro recipe book (I own a copy). I think it would be great to have a book handy ... something that could be created in lulu?
Old 2008-09-17, 6:42pm

Anne, I love your blog. Just wanted to give a high-five for sharing your recipes.

Sharon
Old 2008-09-17, 7:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLY Creations View Post
Anne, I love your blog. Just wanted to give a high-five for sharing your recipes.

Sharon

Me too! I have listed in my favourite places and I drop over there at LEAST twice a week! Thank you so much for sharing the recipes! Mine never really look like those that you guys put together....but that's the point, right? The twisties look different on everything!

Thanks again!
~Triscia
Old 2008-09-29, 7:32pm

The dark striped twistie in this bead is just Nyx and Gaia. Prettier in person, if I do say so myself.

Old 2008-09-29, 8:32pm
Rare Florida Native

I have been wondering about silver glass twisties and now I have a direction to go. Thanks for sharing the tips and the beautiful beads!

Old 2008-09-30, 8:56am

Laushca Buckhorn with Silver and Caramello with Silver are also good bases!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !