Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-15, 11:05am
Dangerous Woman

Default What's up with the poppy/watermelon?

I see that lots of people really want the poppy watermelon vetro odd lot. Why? Can you maybe post some pictures of beads made from it so I can see why it is so special? I have a fair amount and don't think I've used it much as I'm not too impressed with it so far. What am I missing?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-10-15, 11:14am
make beads not war

If struck right... the most gorgeous pink!

Poppy base...

2nd inner ring is Poppy...
Old 2007-10-15, 12:34pm
Glass Addict

I just love it and there are so many different colors depending on how much it is worked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-10-15, 4:44pm
Dangerous Woman

So what is the secret - work it alot or work it a little? I guess one way gets you the orangy colors and the other gets you the pinky colors?

Old 2007-10-15, 4:51pm
Wandering Spirit

I love this glass- you should definitely play with it before you decide to give it away. I've noticed the longer you work it, the more orange tones show. Could just be me
Here is a set with Poppy and Copper Green, my favorite combo for this color:

Old 2007-10-15, 7:11pm
make beads not war

To make sure it stays pink, strike it to brown. If it turns grey then it'll be more of an orange.
Old 2007-10-15, 7:39pm
Dangerous Woman

OOooohhhhhhh!!!! Blue Bird you convinced me! Love that set!!!! I played with a rod this evening I can't wait till tomorrow when I can open the kiln and see how they turn out!

Thanks Melissa for the tips!

Old 2007-10-15, 7:59pm

It's all KANDICE'S fault!!! She talked about it on her (amazing) blog & explained how to use it & showed her incredible beads & now everyone wants it....and of course, I never got any... (and I'm a coral ho...I hoard every coral I can get my hands on except, this year I haven't gotten to buy corals )
Anyway--link to Kandice's amazing incredible blog site http://coloraddiction.wordpress.com/
She should write a book--her color descriptions for glass & how it plays are just wonderful...makes you want to go get any of them you're missing!

(I love the site!, want her beads, visit the site to read her updates at least once a week!)
~luna

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-10-15, 8:12pm
make beads not war

Luna, I think you're right! I kinda wondered why there was a run for Poppy... I'm glad a have a few pounds of it.
Old 2007-10-15, 8:33pm
Storm Queen

I have some and haven't even used it yet. I think I'll use it in my next color combo. BTW, Dusty Rose Coral should be struck until it's brown. That's when you know you have the color struck properly. Same with Powder Pink.

Old 2007-10-15, 8:49pm

OOOOhhhh...thanks for the tip on dusty rose Amy! I've got some stringer & some rods of that stashed away!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-10-16, 3:10am

Can you share some pics of the dusty rose done right? I've got some and haven't tried it yet.
Thanks
Irene

Old 2007-10-16, 3:45am
Angel-Headed Hipster

I've got a bundle of Dusty Rose, too. Guess I might have to dust it off!

~ It's not what ya got, but how you move it.

HH w/bulk MAPP~~~~No Classes, No Tuts, No Name, No Slogan, No Fear
Old 2007-10-16, 4:20am
Rose colored glasses…√

Dusty Rose?!?!? I have no Dusty Rose...

and I can't see Kandice's beads either...double

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-10-16, 10:49am
Storm Queen

I used Dusty Rose in this set:

Old 2007-10-16, 12:24pm
one day at a time

I used dusty rose in this set:
Attached Images

Old 2007-10-17, 7:22am
Gimme that silver glass!

I'm new here (and from Holland, so please forgive me my poor English), but I also love this colour from Vetrofond. Really cool reactions and a sweet pink colour!
Old 2007-10-19, 5:09am
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
It's all KANDICE'S fault!!! She talked about it on her (amazing) blog & explained how to use it & showed her incredible beads & now everyone wants it....and of course, I never got any... (and I'm a coral ho...I hoard every coral I can get my hands on except, this year I haven't gotten to buy corals )
Anyway--link to Kandice's amazing incredible blog site http://coloraddiction.wordpress.com/
She should write a book--her color descriptions for glass & how it plays are just wonderful...makes you want to go get any of them you're missing!

(I love the site!, want her beads, visit the site to read her updates at least once a week!)
~luna

Thanks you sooooooo much for that link. She has some seriously great information on colors!

Old 2007-10-19, 5:39am

this is a way cool site, i am always looking for new info on there.... LOL

Old 2007-10-19, 7:29am

Hi! Sorry, I don't post here too much but I was just reading this and I love this color!! I can only compare it to the color of raspberry sherbet if you can envision that. Yum! It is a gorgeous pink. I do sometimes get more of a peachy color too. (I'm not sure how...haven't figured out how to get more peach or more pink).
http://www.meandmybrightideas.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=560&linkpath=http://www.meandmybrightideas.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/raspberrysmoothie.jpg&target=tlx_picdydb&title="Ra spberry%20Smoothie"