No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-15, 1:51pm
Glass Addict

Default Using Silver Wire.....

I tried to find a tut and couldn't and I must be doing this wrong. I have used fine silver wire (20 gauge) several times and I am finding that control is an issue.

The wire gets hot and trying to get it in the right place is a challenge. Are there any tut's available on the subject?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-10-15, 1:57pm
Entropy increasing....

20 gauge is kind thick. I think most of us use 26 to 30. I do.
Old 2007-10-15, 1:59pm
Glass Addict

I have tried the 26 and 28 from Glass Diversions and the same thing.

"Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly"
Old 2007-10-15, 2:57pm

One thing that helps me is to spot heat the glass to where it is soft enough to poke the end of the wire into the glass to secure it. Then pull the bead away from the flame and wrap the wire around the bead. Bring the bead back into the flame to melt off the end and melt the silver into the bead. I use 28 and 28 ga wire, and usually have no problems with control once I get the wire secured into the glass.
Hope this helps.

Old 2007-10-15, 4:44pm

Default I have a silver wire question also................

I used 30 guage fine silver wire for my first try. The wire stayed pretty much in one piece and bonded to the glass. For the most part it did not "ball-up." It still looks cool - but since I was making pressed beads it put indentations in the sides where the wire was. Still two cool beads, but not quite what I was expecting.

I heated the second bead I tried really really hot - the glass was practically dripping! One thing, I ran out of propane the next morning and I know when I am running out of propane, my flame seems to get much cooler. I am on a hot head.

Vicki
Old 2007-10-15, 7:57pm
Life is change. Love it

Michele, what are you trying to do with it? I use 30 gauge all the time to wrap my 'silver' beads.

Old 2007-10-16, 3:31am

Default ....and another related question....

Once the silver wire has melted into the bead, does too much heat cause the silver balls to get burrs? I have tried using wire a few times and the silver was really rough. I used 28 gauge, I believe. Thanks, all!

Old 2007-10-16, 3:43am
Angel-Headed Hipster

HA - I occasionally get burrs, as well! What causes that???

~ It's not what ya got, but how you move it.

HH w/bulk MAPP~~~~No Classes, No Tuts, No Name, No Slogan, No Fear
Old 2007-10-16, 8:07am

OK so once you get the silver on the beads melted in and anneal the bead how do you get it shiney again. mine always turn out grayish bahla?
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2007-10-16, 8:39am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Liz, I've never had my silver turn gray except when I had silver that I feel wasn't the good stuff. If you've got a high silver content, it should stay silver.

Vivian

-

Old 2007-10-16, 9:14am
Glass Addict

Carolyn~

I am trying to melt in some silver accents onto a bead.

I hadn't tried the wrapping method and will certainly do that and it makes complete sense. I was trying to dot and dab and well talk about burrs and burns!

I will report back after the next torch session which I hope is tonight...

Old 2007-10-16, 9:58am
Dangerous Woman

You need to use fine silver to keep the silver shiny. If you use sterling it will turn black or gray. I don't know if pickleing will help or not. I also don't know if pickleing will hurt the bead or not.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-10-16, 7:44pm
Life is change. Love it

If you use sterling it will be grey, and nothing you do will turn it shiny again! You have to use .999 fine silver.

Michele, when you are wrapping, attach the end of the silver wire to the bead, take it out of the flame, wrap a couple of times, then back into the flame to melt it in. You should get lovely trails of silver dots this way

Old 2007-10-16, 8:34pm
Entropy increasing....

The gray sounds like sterling silver. I have never had it turn gray. Never had burrs and the only time it doesn't ball up is if I have wrapped it on to glass that was still soft. Don't do that.

Pardon my nips, but this is how it looks right out of the kiln. No polishing or etching or anything.

Old 2007-10-17, 4:08am

Kevan, are you flaunting & flashing your boobies again???

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-10-17, 7:54am
Glass Addict

I got it!!!! Thank you everyone and I will take a pic tonight, I have wonderful little swirls of stars now and just what I was after.

The secret is the wrapping the wire around the glass and yes not while it is too hot.

The drawback of not having classes nearby is I have to learn on my own and I just could not figure this one out so I really appreciate the help!