Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-06, 2:54pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Default Show me your River Rock!

Hi everyone,

I bought several pounds of River Rock a while back but haven't really done much with it. When I first got it I went, eew, and thought they sent me the wrong color.

Now I hear it's sold out and not expected to be made again.
I haven't seen a lot of beads made with it so I was wondering if you all could show me your beads made with River Rock and maybe it will inspire me to play with it as I wasn't that impressed with the first beads I made with it.

Also, are there any colors or techniques that go really well with it?

Thanks,

Debra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is............. Deb
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-02-06, 3:38pm
pamtees

If you decide to sell it can I have first dibs! LOL
Naos uses it a lot for her focals, check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsongstudio View Post
Hi everyone,

I bought several pounds of River Rock a while back but haven't really done much with it. When I first got it I went, eew, and thought they sent me the wrong color.

Now I hear it's sold out and not expected to be made again.
I haven't seen a lot of beads made with it so I was wondering if you all could show me your beads made with River Rock and maybe it will inspire me to play with it as I wasn't that impressed with the first beads I made with it.

Also, are there any colors or techniques that go really well with it?

Thanks,

Debra

Last edited by Tropical Heat; 2008-02-06 at 9:01pm.
Old 2008-02-06, 4:13pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Well I haven't decided to sell it yet. I'd like to explore it first.
But if I do decide to sell it you'll be the first to know.
Although someone just Pm'd me and told me how much it was selling for. "GASP"
I'm glad I bought it when I did.

Who is Nanos? Does she have a website?

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-02-06, 4:23pm
<--misses Austin buddies

You could probably fund a nice trip to Europe if you sold it... lol

Old 2008-02-06, 4:30pm
Oh No You Didn't!

LOL. so I hear. I had no idea they weren't making it anymore.

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-02-06, 4:33pm

I think Pam was refering to Amber.. NAOS.. Yes, she makes amazing art with river rock.. Try it with Terra.. you will LOVE IT!!

Old 2008-02-06, 4:34pm

Here is one....

It is yummy glass!!!!

Old 2008-02-06, 4:44pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Oooh that is pretty!
And Naos I know. I'll go see what she has in the River rock!

Thanks,

Debra

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-02-06, 5:35pm

To me it just looks like dark ivory. Am I way off?
Old 2008-02-06, 5:39pm
Janell

I love it with silvered Ivory. Mine is alot darker than the beads I just looked at.

[url]
Old 2008-02-06, 5:47pm
looking for work

Here is a set, I sold a while ago, I have been keeping the rest for something special..not that I have a lot!

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.
James Thurber

Old 2008-02-06, 6:56pm
Entropy increasing....

It's darker than dark ivory.

Old 2008-02-06, 7:04pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

It's way better than Dark Ivory - has wonderful reactions with silver and enamels, likes silver glass, too!

River Rock and Psyche

River Rock, enamels, stringer

River Rock, enamels, SIS

River Rock and Terra

River rock, silver and EDP

River Rock and silver wire

Old 2008-02-06, 7:16pm
Life is change. Love it

Beautiful beads. Amber your organics are orgasmic

(I've wanted to write that for ages!)

Old 2008-02-06, 7:27pm

Oh man, I had 2 rods of RR and I used them up quick. I'm so bummed I didn't buy more, it is awesome. All with Psyche shards.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-02-06, 7:30pm
Rare Florida Native

Now I have an idea on what to do with the River Rock stash. Beautiful beads Amber

Old 2008-02-06, 7:42pm
Oh No You Didn't!

OOooh, I love that psyche! Who makes it and where can I get it?

Tink and Naos, I've always been a big fan of your beads. Thank you for posting pictures. they're beautiful.

Thank all of you for posting pictures. I love them all.
Kevan that first bead is wonderful! What color did you use with it and is that just plain River Rock or did you roll it in silver?

If this is selling for as much as I was told it was selling for, I'm afraid to even use it now...LOL

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-02-06, 7:49pm

Psyche is made by Double Helix Glassworks and is one of those infused with silver. I think it is $70-$100 a pound. It is so cool.

Frog - You know, I'm of the school, just use it. It is better than letting it just sit there and collecting dust.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-02-06, 7:59pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Thank you Lara! I'll go look for that Psyche.

I will use it, but I want to make sure I know what to do with it first. I don't want to waste it due to trial and error. Hence the reason for this post. I want to learn what works and what doesn't before I start playing with it.

I bet it would look really great with some electroforming. I tlooks like it would. I've been dying to get an electroforming kit for over a year now. Maybe I'll save it until I can miraculously afford the electroforming kit.

Debra

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-02-06, 8:04pm

Of course I want some but I'll never get my hands on any will I?
Old 2008-02-06, 8:05pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

It loves the silver glasses!!

Vivian

-

Old 2008-02-06, 8:25pm
Entropy increasing....

Laura, wow. Those are stunning. k
Old 2008-02-06, 8:52pm

I love River Rock! I'm trying to be very careful about how I use the last bit I have, but it does such neat things I keep wanting to play with it. It really does excel with silver glass. Here are a couple of mine.

Kandinsky green over River Rock

River Rock and Opal Yellow swirled together with Gaia

Old 2008-02-06, 8:54pm

Lara,
Those are absolutely to die for! Gorgeous colors out of the psyche.

Old 2008-02-06, 8:55pm

Amber, I love the one with silver and EDP. I thought it was Raku until I read the description, just by looking at the picture.

Old 2008-02-06, 9:02pm
pamtees

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabeads View Post
I think Pam was refering to Amber.. NAOS.. Yes, she makes amazing art with river rock.. Try it with Terra.. you will LOVE IT!!

Yup! My brain was numb this morning! Sorry Amber!
Old 2008-02-06, 9:10pm
make beads not war

Oooh... I'm glad I found this thread!
Old 2008-02-06, 9:13pm

I'm so glad I didn't sell my river rock.
Old 2008-02-06, 9:17pm

soooo.... river rock is not the same thing as rocios river stone? Has anybody tried the river stone?

Old 2008-02-06, 9:24pm
Corgi Cult Member

Debra, since you bought several pounds, you could sell enough to afford the electroforming kit and still have some left to play with. It's amazing how much the glass goes for on the secondary market.