Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-07, 10:34am

Default Your favorite ASK104 glass?

Hi, I was thinking about buying some ASK glass for the first time. (Yes I am behind the times. Maybe by 2010 I'll be buying some DH glass. )

Could anyone please giving me input on your favorite colors (or not so) and anything else important to know about this glass? Does it play well with Effetre?

(Or tell me how to search for it other than ASK104? I couldn't find a thing past 2006)

Thanks very much,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-07, 10:43am

Silver Cinnamon!! Hands down!!! Love the tribal turquoise too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-03-07, 10:45am

Silver cinnamon, tribal turquoise - it's the closest to teal I can get
amy

Old 2008-03-07, 10:45am

Persimon, Morrocan swirl

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-03-07, 10:50am
geekitude on two wheels

Aloevera, silver cinnamon, Mediterranean olive. Silver ratan & carmel apple are up there too.
Old 2008-03-07, 10:52am

Im going to go play with my ask right now,sorry pic to computer newbie

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-03-07, 3:26pm
Storm Queen

I can't seem to make a bead without Silver Cinnamon. I love Silver Rattan too and the Scarlet Dreams, Aloe Vera and the Olive. This set has Silver Cinnamon and Scarlet Dreams in it:

You don't have to worry about striking the Scarlet. Silver Cinnamon, Silver Rattan and Caramel Apple are all loaded with silver so they will give you great reactions with ivory and work well with other silver glasses...like the ones from DH you still have to order!

Old 2008-03-07, 3:31pm
ManBearPig

We sell a lot of (in no particular order):

Persimmon
Scarlet Dreams
Silver Cinnamon
Caramel Apple
Aloe Vera
Mediterranean Olive

We hardly ever sell their pinks or purples or that grey color. We sell a little bit of Tribal Turquoise and the Bahia Blue.

Old 2008-03-07, 5:28pm

Quote:
[AKDesigns;1713312]I can't seem to make a bead without Silver Cinnamon. I love Silver Rattan too and the Scarlet Dreams, Aloe Vera and the Olive. This set has Silver Cinnamon and Scarlet Dreams in it:

Oh! Very nice! I see why you like them so much.

Quote:
You don't have to worry about striking the Scarlet.
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
SNIP: .like the ones from DH you still have to order!
I do?

I don't know. Seems like one has to have magic super powers for the DH glasses to work. Plus I'm so far behind in the glass department what's another year or 2? I still have some Effetre opaque grey from 3 years ago I haven't tried yet.

A year around studio is what I'm really needing right now. Then I'll have more time to get up to speed.

Thanks!

Old 2008-03-07, 5:34pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
I don't know. Seems like one has to have magic super powers for the DH glasses to work.
For your first silver glass (besides the ASK's I mentioned) get Nyx from DH. It's fool proof....really.

Old 2008-03-07, 5:58pm

In the 2006 thread there was a bright pink on lilyponds that everyone was excited about (including me). But then there was a lot of talk about cracking issues with ASK in general. Glad to see that no-one mentioned it here.

I looked on Arrow Springs site and didn't see that same pink. But almost all the other colors look unique to the 104 glass pallet. Yum!

Old 2008-03-07, 6:02pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Here are my favorites in the ASK:

Lavendar Fields: it looks like a light violet but you can strike it to a deep purple that looks very similar to EDP without the fuss. I love it!

Bahama Blue (Bahia Blue): just a gorgeous blue tone that is not found in any other 104 glass.

Carmel Apple: can be struck to really shiny golden tones.

Silver Cinnamon: similar to carmel apple but different enough to have some it also.

Scarlett Dreams: Is a deep, true red that can stand a lot of heat. I just love it!

Desert Chameleon: It can be struck to bright oil-slick, silver glass looking tones. They don't show this at all I found it out by accident and I am positive I was using the DC. The two bands of shiny greenish, purplish glass at the top and bottom of this bead are DC. They really looked like that on the bead.

Old 2008-03-07, 6:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
For your first silver glass (besides the ASK's I mentioned) get Nyx from DH. It's fool proof....really.
Hm...I didn't know the ASK was considered silver glass until now. I'm really showing my ignorance huh? But Ok, Ok, I'll get some Nyx.

Thanks! (I think).

Old 2008-03-07, 8:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Here are my favorites in the ASK:

Lavendar Fields: it looks like a light violet but you can strike it to a deep purple that looks very similar to EDP without the fuss. I love it!

Bahama Blue (Bahia Blue): just a gorgeous blue tone that is not found in any other 104 glass.

Carmel Apple: can be struck to really shiny golden tones.

Silver Cinnamon: similar to carmel apple but different enough to have some it also.

Scarlett Dreams: Is a deep, true red that can stand a lot of heat. I just love it!

Desert Chameleon: It can be struck to bright oil-slick, silver glass looking tones. They don't show this at all I found it out by accident and I am positive I was using the DC. The two bands of shiny greenish, purplish glass at the top and bottom of this bead are DC. They really looked like that on the bead.

Geesh Merybeth! That is one beautiful bead ! Thanks for the detailed description of each glass color. I really appreciate it.

Old 2008-03-07, 8:39pm

PS: is there goldstone in there too or is that another reaction?

Old 2008-03-07, 8:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkanokaren View Post
Im going to go play with my ask right now,sorry pic to computer newbie

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Let me know how it goes!

Old 2008-03-07, 9:06pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
PS: is there goldstone in there too or is that another reaction?

Yes, that's goldstone in there.

Old 2008-03-07, 11:03pm

Is anyone having problems encasing ASK?

Karen
Old 2008-03-07, 11:20pm
make beads not war

I love, love ASK colors.

In the pendant below, from the inner ring out, it's Aloe Vera, then the middle is Lavender Fields and the outer is Mediterranean Olive. I can't live without Tribal Turquoise or Silver Cinnamon as well.

I rarely encase so I can't answer the cracking question.

Old 2008-03-07, 11:36pm
Glass-aholic

Carmel apple!!!! It reduces to this awesome blue too. It is so pretty!!!

I do remember people talking about cracks and encasements... Mostly the silver colors. I don't remember what other colors were used. I also remember someone saying there was a higher annealing temp that they used...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2008-03-07 at 11:42pm.
Old 2008-03-08, 4:21am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

There were some cracking issues with the first batch of Passionate Pink ( lucky dog me... I still have some of it, best pink ever) but I personaly did not experience any with the pinks. I rarely encase pastel pinks. I do have to say encasing the silver glasses is not such a good idea, I haven't been able to encase one of the browns succesfully BUT maybe others have done it with good results. I don't like to encase them anyway because you will loose some color and shine.

I love the browns mentioned above, the pinks, olive and the red is just beautiful!

Suzanne

Old 2008-03-08, 6:49am
Happiness is....

I love the deep violet color of Violet nights, and Bahia Blue is yummy too.
I just could not figure out if ASK works with Vetro, or Efferte? Or is there one that it doesn't work with?

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2008-03-08, 7:18am
Life is change. Love it

I use ASK with all 104 colours including the silver glass. ASK colours seem to have a high metal content and love, love the silver glass colours. I encase with Diamond Clear with no problems.

Old 2008-03-08, 8:57am
Redbearmountain

I like silver cinnamon, morrocan swirl, silver ratan, tribal turquoise, carmel apple, bahia blue! Just awesome colors! They don't crack at all and they are not shocky!
Old 2008-03-09, 2:03am

Default my pick...

To be fair, I love ALL of the ASK colors! But the Tribal Turquoise and Mediterranean Olive are the ones I have been reaching for lately.
Old 2008-03-09, 10:43am
where is that UPS man?

Silver Cinnamon
Desert Chameleon
Yummy!!!!!

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2008-03-09, 10:59am

morrocan swirl, all the brown tones, tribal turquoise, bahia blue, aloe vera. Mystic gray will react beautifully with silver glass also!
Old 2008-03-10, 3:29pm

Wow! With all the responses I think all colors they make were given a thumbs up. That makes it easy. Buy 'em all!
Melissa, I have loved/coveted that bead ever since I first saw it.
Suzanne, that was the pink I saw for the lilyponds. Why oh why did they stop making that one! Passionate Pink!!!
Interesting that you loose some color with encasing. Usually it's the other way around. But since my encasing skills are ...um...lacking, this is a good thing.
Thanks for all the feedback and info. Sounds like they are going to be lots of fun to use.

Old 2008-03-10, 3:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Yes, that's goldstone in there.
I just had to ask. It's an amazing bead!

Old 2008-03-10, 4:41pm
make beads not war

Oh wait... I have encased ASK. I just looked at some beads I made two weeks ago.
It's the tribal turquoise with CiM clear. No cracks!