LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-09-29, 1:42pm
Happy Glass Girl :)

Smile Ready for a Torch Upgrade

Help me out here, I have been working on a minor for some time and have decided I would like to kick it up a notch so I can go bigger faster and maybe work some boro pieces now and then.Hubby wants to get me a new torch for Christmas (Yay!!! What a wonderful man!!!) anyway I could use some input as to which way is up!
I have coveted a Lynx for some time but was reading on the GTT site and something smaller may actually suit my needs.
I would ideally like it to run with a single oxycon because that is what I have

Suggestions please~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-09-29, 2:07pm

I know people that do boro on a Cricket.
Old 2012-09-29, 3:03pm
Alaska Boro

A Cricket is a good choice for a single concentrator. Boro beads in the range of 18 to 22 mm can be done with that setup. Adding a second 5 LPM machine makes the Cricket really come to life. A good future upgrade path would be to move up to a Scorpion which has the Cricket as the center fire. The downside is that there is a significant price difference.
Old 2012-09-29, 5:08pm

Oh yeah little bit!

Old 2012-10-01, 12:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I would ideally like it to run with a single oxycon because that is what I have
You haven't said which oxycon you currently have. Honestly, this is what is going to be your biggest limiting factor. You can buy a much larger torch, but if you don't have enough oxygen to run it, it won't give you the additional heat you want.

Many people find that adding an additional oxycon to their existing setup (or replacing their existing oxycon with a larger one) gives a substantial boost to their existing torch. Plus, when you do eventually upgrade to a larger torch, you will already have the additional oxygen that the larger torch will require.

Malcolm

PS: Lynxes require more oxygen than most small oxycons put out.

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-10-27, 11:41am

I went with the Bobcat~ Bit of a learning curve switching over from the minor. I kept turning the propane up when trying to tun it off because the knob placement is different. I am also not sure about what to do with my hoses now that they are attached. They seem to affect the way the torch sits I would like it to have more of an upward pointed flame then I can achieve with them attached right now. I am wondering if I have it set up correctly.
Off to do more research...

Old 2012-10-27, 2:32pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

I wouldn't consider a bobcat or a cricket an upgrade from a minor, I could make anything on the minor that you can make on the other 2 mentioned. To me an upgrade would be a scorpion, lynx,cuda, bravo etc those would be a few of the choices as an "upgrade".
Let us see a pic of how it is hooked up and maybe can tell you how to do it so you can get the torch pointed how you want.

ChrisAnn

Old 2012-10-27, 7:19pm

The flame is much larger/hotter than my minor ever dreamt of being~ I need to back my table away from the wall and shorten its legs!
The popping thing had me so jumpy I quit for the day before I ever even got started.

Last edited by Kris; 2012-10-27 at 7:19pm. Reason: sp
Old 2012-10-28, 5:50am

I also find the minor flame too soft and without much range, so I understand that. Plenty of people make incredible beads on them - but not me.

I have my hoses going through a c bracket, on the under side of my table, away from me. I set my torch at the angle I like and tighten down the screw that hold it in place. If you want more of an angle than you can get that way, maybe it would help to put a riser under the torch so that the stiff part of the connection is not hitting the table.
Old 2012-10-28, 10:33am

I have used both the minor and the bobcat and I think the GTT is a substantial upgrade once you learn how to use it effectively. Can you post a picture of the bench/hose/torch setup. Lots of collective wisdom here to help out with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I went with the Bobcat~ Bit of a learning curve switching over from the minor. I kept turning the propane up when trying to tun it off because the knob placement is different. I am also not sure about what to do with my hoses now that they are attached. They seem to affect the way the torch sits I would like it to have more of an upward pointed flame then I can achieve with them attached right now. I am wondering if I have it set up correctly.
Off to do more research...
Old 2012-10-28, 11:19am
Resident hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
If you want more of an angle than you can get that way, maybe it would help to put a riser under the torch so that the stiff part of the connection is not hitting the table.
That's what I did with my Cricket.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-10-31, 4:06am

I will be "tightening the screw" and possibly adding a riser. I can't quite wrap my head around that yet (not enough coffee yet this morning) I have it mounted in a creation station and the angles of the connections plus the stiffness of the hoses are the issue. I tilt it and the hoses slowly tilt it right back, tightening the screw should fix that hopefully I will have some spare time to play with it over the weekend.

Old 2012-10-31, 1:28pm
Alaska Boro

This solution works well for adding a riser to a GTT torch.