Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2010-03-26, 10:51am
Obsessed Blogger

Default Encouraging Words.

I've been reading the updates on Conner from Tamara and watching the outpouring of support for the kiddos and families of Beads of Courage.

I get goosebumps, I tear up, and like Tamara said, I just feel dang proud to be a part of this community.

I've been reflecting on just where all this energy and passion comes from in me lately to do Beads of Courage work. I realized that I felt like one of those celebrities giving an acceptance speech..."It's because of all of you fans that I can keeping doing this..."

I'm not a celebrity nor do I have fans but that's how it feels when I hear comments and stories of how these beads are changing lives, giving hope, encouragement, perspective and so much much much more. It makes me want to do more.

It is so fulfilling to know that what we do, while usually a seemingly selfish field, can make a difference in others lives. Knowing that keeps me going and actually excited and enthused about the work.

So, that's my gratitude for today. With everything going on around me, the feelings I get from being involved with Beads of Courage gives me a boost. Thank you BOC for the opportunity(ies).

What about you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-03-26, 1:21pm

I don't know if this is the answer you're looking for - it seems like reasons to donate to BoC or what it does for you? Here's mine...

My Grandma - both of them, actually - died of cancer. I was 5 when we lost one, and 20 when we lost the other one... I only remember my maternal Grandma and her ordeals...

* Grandma had her nails done on a regular basis... When she was diagnosed with cancer, the nail tech put on latex gloves to work with her for the first time ever. Grandma cried because she thought the tech was afraid to touch her because of the cancer.

* During one of the middle of the night hospital trips, the nurse was having a hard time getting a blood draw done... Mom couldn't bear to be in the room watching, so I was holding Grandma's hand so she could squeeze when it hurt...

I can't cure cancer. I can't make it stop, and I can't have faith that all organizations working against it can do anything to help the people battling it now.

What I can do is make my little beads, and send them in... To show that people care and aren't afraid to reach out to kids (and parents) with beads... And to give them something to hold when it hurts...

Thanks for giving me a place to express this.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikki

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-03-26, 1:28pm

I've had the opportunity to meet some very special people while working with BoC. The BoC volunteers and beaders who help make all of this happen are the best. The truly extraordinary people are the medical folks out there on the front lines as well as the kids and families who fight the good fight every day. When I see first hand how much good this program does I'm energized to keep at it - make more beads and better beads. I'm happy if I can bring a little light and positive energy into the mix.

I make some special requests along with the other beads. In some measure I share the joy when one of my special kids goes home with a purple heart and the sorrow when their parents receive a butterfly. Both keep me working and hoping to see more hearts going out.

I'm grateful that Jean and the team have had the faith and strength to make this all happen. I'm proud to be a part of it - it's about the best thing I've ever done.

Robert
Old 2010-03-26, 3:50pm
Obsessed Blogger

Tearing up again.

not looking for an answer...I guess I just blubbered all over the place and didn't want to leave it at that. Maybe someone else needed to speak up too. It's not often that we talk about how blessed we feel or the good we are a part of or where we come from. I do believe that it brings us closer together though.

Thank you for telling your story and I hope others will too. Feeling a bit emotional today with some family health stuff going on and it really makes you put things into perspective regarding what our BOC kids and families go through on a daily basis for a long time.

Old 2010-03-29, 7:06pm
I think I could be a bead

Sometimes, we just do things because we have been blessed. Thank God, we never had to deal with the life and death health issues that the parents and their children face on Team BOC. So, if I can make this world a little bit less painful, a little bit more happy, then sending beads into BOC might be the way to make that little tiny change. I feel blessed to have found glass. My heart has been touched by these brave and beautiful children and their parents as they struggle with their health issues. It's an honor to be involved in BOC.

Old 2010-03-31, 5:05pm
The Queen of Sofa King

((Lori))

My heart has been touched deeply and profoundly by all the folks involved in Beads of Courage - the kids in treatment, the parents, clinicians, the donating artists and Jean and Lori and Robert and Christy and MZ and all of the amazing BOC staff people. It is a life changing experience to work with such an amazing program and see all of the good it does.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-01, 6:10am

I've been involved with BOC for the past 2 years or so. I have no problems making basic BOC beads or funny ones or character ones for them. I love to make the hearts (naturally) but I can't make butterflies. Well...I CAN but ya know, it takes a lot of energy (emotional energy) for me to sit down and make them. I usually put on some inspirational music and tell myself to focus.

My mom had breast cancer when I was in junior high school (30+ yrs ago), kicked that but passed away in July of '04 from a rare form of stomach cancer. I have some friends of mine who are also cancer survivors.

One of my goals in my (lampworking) life is to present one of my hearts to a recipient in person! Oh Hell, I'd be honored to present one of my butterflies
to a recipient!

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN