Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2012-08-19, 6:26am
Miss my BoBo Griff

Default Editing question

I have been busy photographing stuff for my etsy store. So far I have about 70 things shot so that is about 300 pics I am wading through and editing. So far I am going to have to re shoot at least 10-15 items because there is so much dust/lint on my mirror frosted finish thing in the light box, no matter how many times I wipe it off. Can anyone tell me how y'all keep that acrylic frosted mirror thing dust/lint free for more that 5 minutes? Or how I can edit it out without having to "heal" each little dot? I may ask this in a couple more places. This is all a slow process doing it in between work and paying attention to the grand daughter who lives with us. Sheesh
Chrisann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-08-19, 9:52am
Experimentalist

Just answered you in the bathroom. Hope it helps.

Old 2012-08-19, 10:31pm

Speaking of bathroom, that is one of the places to cut down on dust. Back in my film days when I developed film, I'd run the hot shower with the door closed for a bit to get some steam in the air. The steam and moisture would settle all of the dust in the air and keep it off of my hanging strips of film that I was drying.

If you have a large enough bathroom that you can use, you can do the same thing while taking pictures. It works pretty well. If you don't have a big bathroom you can also try getting one of those humidifiers that parents put in their kids room to keep the air most. Pick the smallest room you have that's big enough to put up your light tent and let it run for awhile. Also, keep a lint free cloth on your reflective surface until you are ready to shoot and put it back over it between shooting. that will help keep the dirt spots down.

Oh and learn to do dust spotting or get one of the ad-ons that will dust spot automatically cause you won't get rid of all of them. I shoot on a front surface mirror and run into this problem as well, no matter how much I try.

Or (and this is a trick you don't see very often) you can shoot on water. If you take a large cookie sheet (the kind with a raised wall not the flat kind), put a block cloth in it and then fill it up with water, it will look like a mirror if you do the lighting correctly. And no dust problem.

Mike
Old 2012-08-20, 5:55pm

You might try your post processing software's denoise feature if it has one. I use Corel PaintShopProX4 and it has a "small scratch remover" as part of its noise removing feature. You might also be able to use the "despeckle" feature of denoise. Again, I'm speaking from PaintShopPro but there are similar features in Photoshop, Elements, and Gimp.

Old 2012-08-20, 6:24pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

thanks, there was a special the other day on PSE10 for $49 and I bought it (hoping I like it enough to keep myself from buying PS cs6 like I want to). I installed it tonight at work and have been playing a little, it does allw you to do masks and stuff and blur the background and several other things my pse8 didn't have. It should be fun to see what I can do with it.
chrisann