Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-07-27, 8:50am

Default open glass storage?

My glass storage is the square fencing material, inside two cabinets. I originally wanted my glass enclosed because I was in a basement and I wanted to keep out dust and the bugs who I won't mention their name .

Anyway, now that my studio is put together out in the back yard, I'm still pondering using ikea's expedit shelves for the glass storage. I'm thinking that dust isn't going to be the problem that it was in the basement. And so far I'm pretty lucky to not have any eight legged visitors.

Just wondering what any of you have experienced with open glass storage instead of closed in cabinets. Do you like it out in the open, or would you rather have it enclosed?

thanks-
Ana
Old 2012-07-27, 6:05pm

I like mine open. Easier to see and grab.And if the dust blows here an it does,and I'm not using the glass I just cover with a old sheet. Keeps the glass clean and not dusty.I uncover while I'm using it.
Janet
Old 2012-08-13, 9:42am

Well I did it. Went back to ikea and bought the cubie shelves that I wanted for my studio. I'm pretty giddy!

-Ana
Old 2012-08-13, 1:31pm

Mine's open - I just have a microfiber cloth around and give rods a swipe before I use them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-08-13, 1:42pm

I swipe mine on my shirt, usually through the ol' armpit, before I stick it in the flame.

I have not been able to torch in a couple of months, and I think I am going to hit mine with the canned air before I start back.
Old 2012-08-16, 10:36am

Kathy, be careful about that. I once took a class from someone who did that all the time, and concentrating on an intricate design, he did it with a rod that was still hot and burned the you know what out of himself. Sensitive spot!!

Toni
Old 2012-11-06, 9:49am
Sam I Am

I know you have already decided and are happy with your set up. I just thought I would share this here for people who are looking at different ways to store their glass.
This is what my husband made for my studio. It was a little labor intensive and it take a lot of wall space but I like the way the glass looks.The 1st picture is the Bullseye glass then the second is the Moretti 104 wall. At the bottom of the moretti wall are some inexpensive shoe cabinets we bought at Target and put a solid wood back on them so the glass wouldn't hit the carpet they hold the 1/4 pounds of glass. Last picture is a close up of the Bullseye glass all the glass is labled to avoid COE mix-ups
Now this is my public teaching studio but I would have this at home if I had a set up there. It is like having a rainbow on the wall.
It doesn't get to dusty and no spiders so far.

I would love it if he had the time to either write up the plans or make a few people could just assemble but he's a bit busy. Some day...................
Sam
Attached Images

Old 2012-11-06, 9:58am

wow, that is beautiful!

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2012-11-06, 2:08pm

WOW! Sam, I am in love with that wall!!!!
Bea
Old 2012-11-06, 3:13pm
Steph

Wow that's incredible, a work of art on their own!!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2012-11-06, 4:01pm

Sam - that's fabulous!
Old 2012-11-06, 5:07pm
Melody of Glass

Gorgeous, Sam!

Ana, that's the exact setup I have - Ikea Expedit shelving with fence rail. It is in my basement, which is dusty but I like it open to see all the colours. I wipe my rods before putting them out on my bench and at the beginning of a torching session (when everything is still cool). One thing I had considered doing is attaching a curtain/sheet of sorts to the top of it. I could leave it covered when I'm not torching and roll it up for the times I am. Haven't been bothered up to this point, though.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-11-07, 6:17am

I use the fence rail also, but I have it in a cabinet that DH built. The cabinet has heavy duty casters on it so I can roll it right up to my torch area and then move it out of the way when needed.
Attached Images

Old 2012-11-07, 5:17pm
Sam I Am

Thanks everyone - those walls add a little happy color to the studio

Autumn that is an awesome cabinet.

Sam

Old 2012-11-29, 5:40pm
Beads Beads Glass

OMG

Actions, even desperately stupid ones, have consequences

working on new blog
Old 2012-11-30, 10:45pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Holy Crap it's Sam Hibler!
Hey Girl--now I know of another reason I want to see you again--to drool on your glass rainbow walls!! It's like Lickable Wallpaper from Charlie & The Chocolate Factory!!!
Smiles, Sheri

Old 2012-12-01, 3:54pm

Mine are in the open and get dusty but while the kiln is heating up I take the rods Im going to work with and spray them with vinegar water and wipe with a microfiber cloth.
Liz R