No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-05-25, 5:43pm
Salt Box Beads

Default My Resin Shed

Well, after much thought and the final decision made from $$$ we had available, we decided on a resin shed. I know it will be just fine for at least three years....hopefully longer. I plan to use it until I save up enough for a fancy smancy wood shed and then it can be used as a potting shed.

Well that is the plan. After setting up my horse trailer as a shed I learned that the most important thing is to be flexible as plans get busted and you are scrambling for a new set of plans. Happened all the time we were making the horse trailer into a shed.

So this will be an ongoing thread with pics as I take them. DH will be home in a week or two and then we can try to get the concrete foundation laid. These sheds especially need a a flat level firm foundation.

The fence next to the boxes is well over 6 feet so you can see how big they are. They were delivered yesterday afternoon and of course it rained..all night and half of today!

So here is the very first picture in the new shed saga and the picture of how it should look all finished.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-05-25 at 8:28pm.
Old 2011-05-25, 7:16pm

I've looked at these before too. Do the windows open? I thinking about ventilation and keeping cool. I guess you can torch with the doors open though. Are you going to cut holes in the side to pipe in your propane?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2011-05-25, 8:27pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Donna, yes we will need to pipe in the propane and oxygen. I don't think the windows open. We will have to remove a few of them for the ventilation and the A/C. I also want a fan for the replacement air to be brought in.

I am also concerned with the insulation, and staying cool. All of the research has said that the hardboard foam works best and that coupled with the A/C should be enough. I plan to buy a screened gazebo to place over the front doors so I can have it open on nice days and not be eaten alive by the skeeters.

Also my pooch will have a nice little patio room to be in while I torch. The fumes will be exhausted at the back of the shed away from the patio. I do not think we will really know what we can do until we get it up. I do think it may be harder to work with than a wood shed but we will document all of the problem areas for other lampworkers.
Old 2011-05-25, 9:09pm
Loving learning

Yea! I bet you're excited when you look out & see the shed waiting to be put together!
Old 2011-05-25, 9:59pm
i'm not dave

you don't HAVE to have a cement foundation. we have a plastic storage shed that we made a pressure treated wood frame (w/metal corner fasteners) and hung p.t. joists off hangers. leveled frame and filled frame w/gravel to keep the gophers from piling dirt, recessed 1 1/4" floor board into frame but sitting on the joists hangers. didn't really have to fasten floor board to joists but i think we did.

EASY to do and cheap and as sturdy as the house. plus its movable if we decide it must go somewhere else. i did put in metal stakes at midpoints of frame to keep it from bowing when gravel was added. terry
Old 2011-05-25, 10:46pm
Salt Box Beads

Eileen, we are excited...but so much work to do first.

Tivydave, we choose concrete because we already have 3/4ths of the area in concrete, we just have to pour concrete into a small flower bed area to make the area big enough for the shed..

Some people even put a small redwood deck over the concrete.....we may do that because our patio holds several inches of water when it rains a lot.

We will just have to work all of this out and make our final decisions right before the build ( well, the put together )
Old 2011-06-02, 2:15pm
Salt Box Beads

Talking BEGINNING!!!

Well, DH and I began clearing the area for the shed. He cut down the Juniper and trimmed the Crepe Myrtles. Now we are stuffing it into the truck for dump runs.

The first pics shows what's left of the Juniper that he just cut down and the Camilia that has to come out ()

The second pic shows a Crepe Myrtle he trimmed back, the pergola that has to come down and the slats that have been removed from it are laying all over the ground and oh..."WHAT A MESS!!"

and the third pic shows supervisor 'Daphne" checking out our work. Not sure she approves!

More pics will be added as we go along so stay tuned.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-03, 1:11pm
Remember to keep smiling

Lorriane how exciting for you. Thank you for sharing this experience with us I am looking forward to watching your new studio come alive.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-03, 5:53pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Paula. I know from turning my horse trailer into a studio that trying to turn anything into a studio can be very ...um...interesting.

So that being said right off the bat today we decided not to pour concrete and go with DG ( decomposed granite ) and 16" concrete stepping stones. We bought a few and laid them out to see if we liked the look and how many we needed to buy. We just were NOT feeling the whole concrete pouring thing.

Because DH is called away at any time and then gone for up to 4 weeks at a time we decided to go at a cheaper, slower pace that would allow us to stop and pick up again weeks later. We also already have most of the concrete in place with the existing patio and most of the shed will be on that.

After we get the DG in and the stepping stones in place we are going to build a wood base like a deck to build the shed on. That way it will be off the concrete, won't get flooded in the rain and the wood is the treated kind for termites.

Here are two more pics. I am so glad the shed will be hiding the one neighbors well pump and the other neighbors little wood shacks, they sure are ugly to sit on the patio and have to look at! I have no idea what they use them for but sometimes at night the one shed has a light bulb on in it that is suspended from the ceiling....pot growing maybe??

Any questions just ask.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-06, 1:37pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Removing the stumps

Removing the stumps is slow and very hard work but DH enjoys it after being sedentary for 2-3 weeks at a time on the drill sites. He is working on the big one in these pics.

It is slow going but it is going and today is over cast breezy and cold with sprinkles. perfect timing for stump removal. He is going to have lots of nice soil to use elsewhere, he will probably use it for his cacti. Nothing goes to waste.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-09, 11:12pm
Salt Box Beads

Talking Moving right along

The preparation for the studio shed is moving along nicely. DH worked on it all day and it was 95 degrees outside. I worry about him working so hard sometimes especially in the heat, he does take the heat a lot better than I do though.

The first pic shows the area the DG will go into and then the stepping stones will go on top of that. The second pic shows the pergola being dismantled and it will be hauled away. Most of the wood is pretty rotten but DH will keep any that is salvageable. We may replace the pergola with a free standing canopy that has the mosquito netting. Third pic is of one I like but is too expensive so will have to get something similar.

We will just have to wait and see how much room we have left on the patio after the shed is in. I also want to put in a small pond with solar pump and lights. I want to make the area around the shed grotto like with lots of plants and water.

NO fish in the ponds though, I am sure all of the frogs that dwell around here will take over the pond(s). If you have any fish in the ponds around here the raccoon's come calling until the fish are all gone so no fancy Koi for us. Stay tuned for more pictures.
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-10, 8:09am
Loving learning

You're making headway, and before you know it, you'll be out there melting stuff.
I would love someplace with a screen to sit outside. Last night we ate out by my little craft shack, but after a while the deer flies came out & were biting, so that ended that.

And wow, what good dark dirt you have! (we have pure sand other than what I buy & put a little in where I plant something to try to give it a boost)
Old 2011-06-10, 9:15am
Remember to keep smiling

Lorraine I bet your poor hubby was warn out after tackling that stump. I have to agree with Eileen that really looks to be some rich soil

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-10, 9:45am
Salt Box Beads

Ladies, I am so glad for the replies. It's nice to know people are watching this thread.

The soil is very rich here because we are sitting on laterite soil. Dh
( geologist) says sometime in the past there was a tropical climate here, we have an aluvial soil which is sandy loam from being deposited from the Sacramento river that covered this whole area at one time.

Eileen I hate biting flies! Start a piggy bank for that screened room. I know you would love it.

Paula he was very tired and sore. He was diagnosed with osteoarthritis last year after a fall out of his well site trailer and I took him to a chiropractor. The doc said he had the worst x-rays he has ever seen with spurs all along his spine and neck and most discs were compressed, my poor baby.

His relief comes from using his inversion table, it allows blood to get in between the discs and nourish those areas. He gets by but I do worry!
Old 2011-06-10, 11:41am
Somewhat out there!

I keep checking your progress. How exciting

Julianne
Old 2011-06-10, 12:42pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Julianne, I appreciate the replies. I know I will get a lot more interest when we get it together and set up because how we finish it all inside is going to be the real test or trial and errors.

It won't be nearly as easy as a wood shed I think.
Old 2011-06-10, 11:08pm
MacGalver

It looks like a great location for your studio, and the little resin studio is pretty cute too!

Jo

Old 2011-06-11, 8:33am
i'm not dave

lorraine--while i don't post much to your thread, i do read it every time it has a new post. i bet there are LOTS of us who do the same. terry
Old 2011-06-11, 8:46am

I just saw this thread, and I love the work in progress!
How fun to be seeing your new work area go up.

Hope hubby stays cool with all the lemonade you bring him during the hot days: )

I can't wait to get over the mountain and get together with you for girls glass days. Hope there is room for 2 in your new digs

Old 2011-06-11, 10:45am

I have been following also, this is the shed I have picked out. But due to family circumstances is waiting.....

SRA #C88

Old 2011-06-11, 1:00pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frit Diva View Post
It looks like a great location for your studio, and the little resin studio is pretty cute too! Jo
Thank-you! I think at about 8 feet by about 11 feet it will fit our patio area just fine and it is cute....isn't it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivydave View Post
lorraine--while i don't post much to your thread, i do read it every time it has a new post. i bet there are LOTS of us who do the same. terry
Thank-you so much, I appreciate your words and your watching this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdsonawire View Post
I just saw this thread, and I love the work in progress!
How fun to be seeing your new work area go up.

Hope hubby stays cool with all the lemonade you bring him during the hot days: )

I can't wait to get over the mountain and get together with you for girls glass days. Hope there is room for 2 in your new digs
Where are you?? Did you sell your house yet? I will make sure I have room for you and I have several new CGbeadrollers and bead presses we can play with too. I hope you are not afraid of big growly dogs? Have you been reading my Daphne threads? She is a real love bug, once she gets to know you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozles View Post
I have been following also, this is the shed I have picked out. But due to family circumstances is waiting.....
This thread will be perfect because Dh and I will work out all of the kinks before you get yours.. Ours was just under 900.00 ordering it from the Home Depot website. I have seen it for much more elsewhere. Please join the thread when you are ready, okay? This will become the thread for Resin Studio Shed owners.
Old 2011-06-11, 1:23pm
Salt Box Beads

More pics!

The shed will reach right to the first post in this pic. The double doors will open right there so that section of the portico will be taken down also. We are going to leave the section from the Basset hound dial thermometer to the other end of the patio so it will help keep the heat off the house this summer. It also has our very tall antennae pole attached to it.

This fall we will tear the rest down and hopefully put up a nice gazebo instead.

The other pics show DH dismantling the portico and the rest of our patio area which is the first terrace. It really isn't very big so we have to be careful not to make it look over crowded. You can just get a glimpse of his Tuff shed mini barn on the second terrace.

Last pics are of the rotting wood...Ya think it was time to tear it down????
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-11, 5:37pm
Remember to keep smiling

The area looks alot larger in these pics. The post looks like they have been there awhile. Lot of progress going on.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-12, 8:54am

Our home hasn't sold here in Fortuna yet (6 mos now), but hubby promises me we will be outta here by end of summer.
I can't wait......
I love animals, and Daphne (love the thread there too), looks like a big love bug. We raised Shepherds for a while and can't wait to get settled and get one again.
I am loving watching the progress!

Old 2011-06-12, 10:08am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
The area looks alot larger in these pics. The post looks like they have been there awhile. Lot of progress going on.
It's looking good now! The largest area from the patio doors to the gate directly in front is 25 feet and then the patio curves around on each side. It is much smaller to the left where we decided to put the shed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdsonawire View Post
Our home hasn't sold here in Fortuna yet (6 mos now), but hubby promises me we will be outta here by end of summer.
I can't wait......
I love animals, and Daphne (love the thread there too), looks like a big love bug. We raised Shepherds for a while and can't wait to get settled and get one again.
I am loving watching the progress!
I will personally hold your hubby to THAT promise!! We had a shepherd growing up and she was the best. She was even in our family photos we had taken by a professional that came to the house. Those photos were a big deal as we were pretty poor back then!

Sending prayers for a quick sale for your home.

Today is REST day!!
Attached Images

Old 2011-06-12, 4:08pm

I've been watching the progress in this thread since it started. I'm loving all the updated photos and explanations. I can't wait to see the final product. It will be a lovely studio!!
How lucky you are to have a place separate from the house. I can't wait till I'm able to do that.

Oh, and your husband working so hard to get it done for you is the sweetest thing ever. He's doing a great job! You lucky Duck!l looking forward to the next update after your rest day
Old 2011-06-12, 4:15pm
Salt Box Beads

Awww, thank-you Marti Ann. He is a keeper that's for sure. I do appreciate him so much and he is the love of my life. So glad you are following the thread and enjoying the pics.

Thank-you so much for replying and welcome to LE and lampworking.
Old 2011-06-12, 4:47pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Bookmarking!!! Will definitely follow your progress, since I have similar plans.
Old 2011-06-12, 5:56pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Pia, are you going to set up a resin shed too? Just curious because more and more people seem to be 'going resin' it seems...LOL Thanks for bookmarking this thread. I hope it will be a favorite with lots of good info in it by the time we are through completing the studio.

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-06-12 at 5:58pm.
Old 2011-06-12, 6:48pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Well, to be honest, I was going to get it custom made out of wood. My step dad builds log houses, and he is about to come to visit us for maybe couple months from Finland, and I am hoping I can get funding together to build a sauna and also a studio for myself. I know Im probably just dreaming... We also have so many projects to do with our house, that I might not get either, sauna nor studio... but I will let you know if anything happens. Meanwhile I enjoy your progress!