Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2016-02-03, 6:55pm

Default Back in the saddle soon!

Two years ago today, almost to the hour, I lost my home, my fully loaded studio, and 3 autos to an electrical fire. After the agony of rebuilding, I've just finished the final gas line hook-ups to a new lynx and phantom and replaced most of the necessary tools and glass in a new (and better) studio. After I search down 2 more O2 bottles, I'll be ready to re-ignite both, the torches and my passion again. At age 64, with arthritis beating on the door, I only hope to get back to where I was and join back with the wonderful community that is LE. Hope to be posting regularly soon!
Attached Images

Old 2016-02-03, 8:00pm

George

Congrats on the return to the glass obsession. Glad you survive the terrible ordeal of the fire. Hope your insurance covered it.

Your new studio looks awesome. Is your torch area in the picture about the height of a stranding workbench? I was checking out your chairs and I'm looking for a drafting chair to use in my new shedio.
Old 2016-02-03, 8:23pm

I'm 6'2", so my bench may be a little on the high side - 38". Got one of the drafting chairs from Amazon about $100, the one with no arm rests from Staples for $64(with a $30 off coupon).
Old 2016-02-03, 8:35pm

Thanks!
Old 2016-02-03, 10:39pm
Slogan Challenged...

Is that your new studio? Looks great! So sorry to hear about your loss, that must have been a horrible ordeal! Glad you can get back to enjoying some things you love.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-02-04, 8:12am

Welcome back!!
Old 2016-02-04, 8:50am
Loving learning

Welcome back to glass!
Old 2016-02-04, 11:14am

Thank you folks, and yes Kjohn - horrible to the worst degree.....
Old 2016-02-05, 9:45am

Welcome back ... so sorry to hear about the fire. That must have been truly devastating.

I'm sure you fire will be lighted on both fronts here shortly.

Look forward to seeing your creations.

Old 2016-02-05, 10:25am
Marble Lover

Looks great. Can I move in?

-BEP
Old 2016-02-06, 8:08am

It has been a long road!!!! Looks fantastic George! So glad you are finally getting started again!!! Enjoy! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2016-02-20, 9:58pm

so glad for you!!! i went thru sometime similar where torch, kiln, everything stolen some years ago. just started out with shop space in Oct, happy to be back in glass too!
Old 2016-02-21, 10:43am
Salt Box Beads

You have bounced back nicely and what a great studio! I understand the 60's thing as I will be 62 on Tues. We just have to make adjustments such as the height of the benches. Mine are around 39-41 inches.

I need to be able to sit or stand at the work benches, if I get too cramped up sitting or I am working metal I can just push the chair back and stand and I do like to dance to 60's music when I work in the studio...LOL

Congrats on your new studio!:biggrin
:
Old 2016-03-03, 10:03am

Default First "warm-ups"

Finally got 2 oxy tanks and lit up. Made 3 marbles for starters, and boy do I need more practice. I know I could've picked better colors, but I'm hoping the bubbles are because I'm a little too anxious and rushed the compression a bit ( that was mostlymy problem back when. Seem to still have it with fish, always a good starter exercise for me.
Attached Images

Old 2016-03-03, 10:05am

Another fish last night - 4-1/4"
Attached Images

Old 2016-03-03, 10:09am

Bought a skull mold, and now have a whole new respect for Deb and others who have mastered this. Made a great blank easily enough, but how it turned into a vague ET in this 2.1" marble I don't know. Need to refresh my fuming skills too.
Attached Images

Old 2016-03-05, 8:48pm

Studio looks great! and welcome back

Old 2016-03-08, 3:21pm

Default Duct work for your studio

Would you be so kind to share and post a few pictures of the duct work (inside & outside the studio) and how you have the exhaust working (type of fan, etc)?
I am new to lampworking and working on converting a 12'x8' Tuff Shed to my studio. The exhausting confuses me currently. I will be using tanked O2 & propane, have a cricket and minor torch (my husband would like to torch with me) thinking two workstations like you have. Looking for suggestions.
I like your new set up so sorry for the tragedy that occurred though.

Thank you for your time!
Old 2016-03-08, 4:05pm
ManBearPig

Here's a good write up about ventilation and how to calculate how much fan you need.

https://mikeaurelius.wordpress.com/ventilation-primer/

Old 2016-03-09, 7:56am

Cosis,
Cosmo's reply probably has all the info you need, but if it helps a bit more, I used a fan like the one here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...HYR7649XEVWBZQ. I couldn't find the exact model, but this one is nice because of the variable speed control. My ductwork continues about 22 feet through a crawl space above my garage where it meets the fan just before exiting through a standard flapper type gable vent. My fan has a 832cfm rating and 3 speeds; I usually run it on the lowest setting. Though it is relatively quiet for it's power, I mounted it as far away from the workspace as I could to minimize the noise, but it seems to me you're always going to hear the sound of the "rushing wind" if the fan is doing what it's supposed to.
Old 2016-03-09, 8:25am
Flamewoman

Lovely as this studio set up is it lacks a hood. If you read the article that Cosmo gave the link to, it clearly states the importance of a capture hood for the fumes created by glassworking. There have been many articles written by well respected people on this subject. There is just no real way to capture and evacuate fume without a hood. Mikes article strongly points this out.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2016-03-09, 8:51am

I don't take my health lightly, but I also know some people worry themselves to death before their issue ever affects them. For my set-up I was convinced by the smoke-test performed from my seat, not the duct inlet, and that was at the low fan setting as I stated. Except for the fire interruption I've been torching and fuming since '06, and if a hood would be that critical I think I'd be in dire straits by now.
Old 2016-03-15, 2:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinglass View Post
Bought a skull mold, and now have a whole new respect for Deb and others who have mastered this. Made a great blank easily enough, but how it turned into a vague ET in this 2.1" marble I don't know. Need to refresh my fuming skills too.
Where did you get the skull mold? I want one too

John aka "BIG JOHN"
Old 2016-03-15, 4:13pm

This is the one I bought https://www.etsy.com/listing/2341212..._home_active_3