LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-12-08, 2:00pm

Default frit storage?

what system do you have worked out to store all of your jars of frit? got any pics?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by meadowesky; 2006-12-08 at 2:09pm.
Old 2006-12-08, 2:04pm

ooo would love to see how everyone stores their stringer too!
I have an idea for it but it involves a whole new storage area and more devilish PVC

Old 2006-12-08, 2:05pm

I use the little canning jelly jars (4 oz size, I think). They hold the 5 oz of frit that I usually get in bulk buys just perfectly.
I use "ice tube" trays for stringer:
http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1362539
Learned this one from LE'ers. Found mine at Walmart.

Last edited by Judi_B; 2006-12-08 at 2:10pm.
Old 2006-12-08, 2:09pm

what do you do with all of the jars??

Old 2006-12-08, 2:38pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I use the fence rail for stringer storage. Cut it short (4" - 8") and sit it on its end. Works great if you duct tape a few different heights together!
Old 2006-12-08, 3:00pm
Ad astra per aspera

I use the ice tubes for stringer, too. They're excellent! I had a problem with tipping them over, so I just put a little sand in the bottom of each tube.

I store my frits in the aluminum watchmaker tins from Lee Valley. I stack them on two lovely wooden lazy susans that I got from Ikea ($7 each).

Old 2006-12-08, 3:28pm
I speak Murrini!

The Lazy Susan idea is great!!! I get these great little clear/screw lid "travel" sized jars from my local beauty supply - they stack great and you can see thru them so no labeling necessary! They come in size ranges from Itty-Bitty to fairly large, and their pretty cheap to purchase but sturdy.

I'm going to my local $1.00 store to look for a lazy susan!

DeAnne/theglasszone
Old 2006-12-14, 12:04pm
da General

I store my frits in the aluminum watchmaker tins from Lee Valley too. I also purchased the metal 1" tall drawers to store those in (have to make the plywood box for them tho) - the see thru top of the tins makes it easy to find the one I want.

Hayley
Old 2006-12-14, 4:53pm
Spoiled

For most of my frit I use spice jars. They have see through lids and little stainless steel spoons. I also label them with which frit is in them. Some of the frits I just leave in the jars they came in.

For the stringers, I use the bottle ice cube trays. I separate each of the colors into its own compartment that matches the same spot where the full size rods are.
Attached Images

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2006-12-14, 8:20pm

Aimee- I have stringer organization envy!

Mine is in a cup- and when I can't tell what they are I add it to a bead and hope for the best -That's when it helps that ugly just means add a layer and start over on my torch most nights- I've come out with some monster beads that way...
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2006-12-14, 9:20pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Wow, Aimee, you are tidy.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2006-12-14, 9:32pm
Spoiled

Yeah, I'm a bit anal about organizing stuff. I also label each rod of glass, all my friends here tease me about it, but I always know exactly which rod is which.

I started out with just a couple of the trays and had the stringers just divided by transparent, opaque, etc. but then a couple of times I used a tongue pink stringer when I thought it was white or something else like that and got tired of it. So I figured out how many spaces I needed and went and picked them up. Luckily Wal-Mart carries them. They have 27 spaces each.

The last tray has all my twisties and murrini canes.

Old 2006-12-15, 9:16am
Button Queen

Well, I use the ice tubes also for stringer, but I just have them kind of separated by color. One tray for transparents, one for opaque. And then, of course, 2 SETS of trays, since one is bullseye and one is effetre/104.

My frit is in little glass bottles that my husband's probiotic comes in. He goes through 1 bottle every month, so I'm stockpiling them. They're perfect for 5 oz of frit, although every now and then I'll get a frit that doesn't quite fit. All the jars are then put in a drawer in my glass storage box.
Old 2006-12-15, 9:28am
IMAHO

has anyone ever used spice jars on a lazy susan type thing for frit? Maybe it doesn't have enough jars for the frit obsessed... I got one of those things as a gift one year, and well, I'm spice obsessed, and there is no way I could narrow things down to that few jars. I buy some spices by the pound, so little jars wouldn't cut it.

"Free your mind and your glass will follow"
Old 2006-12-15, 10:26am
Your Royal Fritness

I found a really neat lazy susan at a garage sale this past summer for my frit jars ($3). For my rods & stringers I like to have eveything at my finger tips while I torch so I have 3 or 4 rods in each spot a long with stringers. When I get down to the last few rods in my ice trays I order a pound of it. It's a great system for inventory control.

Happy Holidays!

Dawn
Attached Images

Old 2006-12-26, 5:19pm
Common Lurker

My name is Diane, I'm a Frit-a-holic...
I needed a cart. Found it at the Container Store, about $50.
It's getting pretty much at it's weight limits, so I've cut myself off of the frit buying.
The top - I found an old plastic tray that fits perfectly on the rails.
Casters let me roll it in and out from the end of the work table.

Top drawer, Blues & Greens.
2nd drawer, Pinks, Purples, Reds
3rd drawer, Oranges, Browns
Bottom drawer, Reactives, Odds

Old 2006-12-26, 8:31pm

Amie! WOW! I won't even comment on how I store my stringer! Not after seeing your system! VERY nice.

Dawn...that lazy-susan is GREAT. $3 -- I'm jealous! Now, I'm itching to go to the dollar store and look for a lazy susan!

Some great ideas here.

Candy

Old 2006-12-27, 8:21am
Glass Addict

Here are a couple of pictures of my frit storage

These hang on the right wall beside/above my torch space.

I purchased these hanging baskets at Home Depot. I need to purchase another one...I ran out of room.

Last edited by madnesssr; 2006-12-27 at 12:32pm.
Old 2006-12-27, 11:04am
Thank God I'm Friendly

It's sort of a bad pic from when I was setting up my new studio, but for frit I use watchmaker cases - clear on top and metal on the rest, yet shallow so you can roll in them if you want....
Attached Images

Old 2006-12-27, 12:27pm

I keep my frit and powders in containers I ordered from the Grainger catalog on a shelf I picked up at a garage sale. (this is the first time I've put in a picture, so we'll see if it works!!)

Old 2006-12-27, 1:13pm
Beadmaking.nl

I put them in a carroussell:

Old 2006-12-27, 7:44pm
Trying to Hope!

I so hope my system looks this cool when i actually get some frit

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-01-01, 2:09pm

Default WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee View Post
For most of my frit I use spice jars. They have see through lids and little stainless steel spoons. I also label them with which frit is in them. Some of the frits I just leave in the jars they came in.

For the stringers, I use the bottle ice cube trays. I separate each of the colors into its own compartment that matches the same spot where the full size rods are.

HOLY FRIT BATMAN!! What in the world?? Where are you and do you want to come do mine up too?? I mean really?? You have to be more organized than I will ever be but your where I want to be... . Great idea's and thanks a million and ONE!!

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2007-01-01, 3:12pm
Spoiled

Ha! Arlene, that's funny. I like having everything separated. My DH teases me that I just like buying containers and that I have containers for my containers.

You should see my jewelry making supplies. I have seed beads, czech glass, and sterling beads in the little flip top containers, those are in boxes organized by colors/styles. Those boxes are in plastic drawers. My stone beads are in the hardware type drawers with an example of each stone hot-glued to the front so I can see what is in each drawer.

I should become of these people who go around organizing people.

Last edited by aimee; 2007-01-01 at 11:02pm. Reason: typo
Old 2007-01-01, 5:01pm

Default Organize me

Gee's I am working hard now to figure out some bribes for someone to come organize me.. LOL I got lots of ideas now to just DO IT and get someone to help (like my brother the builder)....

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2007-01-05, 4:16pm
FireDancer Glass

I also use the ice cube trays, a tip if they keep tipping over......use double sided sticky tape (thick kind for hanging pictures) and put it under neath to keep them from moving. Can't move them once stuck down but I keep mine in the same place anyway.
love the ideas. Just starting into frit and cannot wait to get more organized!
www.firedancerjewelry.com

Christy
Old 2007-01-23, 10:40am

Umm ... well .. my frits are scattered all over my workbench and bulging out of the drawer in whatever they came in - my stringers are piled up - I have some in jars and various holding containers. Lol ... you all are too neat and tidy!!! I know I'm not a neat nick but wow ... I can't even begin to keep that organised! Occasionally I dump all my stringer since I found I never use the old ones just make new ones each time.

Old 2007-01-23, 1:55pm
Mummy to 3 Little Elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowesky View Post
what system do you have worked out to store all of your jars of frit? got any pics?
I got this from www.abeadisborn.com. Just ordered another since I am a bit of a frit ho!

Old 2007-01-23, 2:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie_T View Post
I got this from www.abeadisborn.com. Just ordered another since I am a bit of a frit ho!
Aren't these just GREAT!? I got one too and immediately wanted (and ordered!) another. My my sister did the same thing! LOL.

Candy

Old 2007-01-23, 5:58pm
Mummy to 3 Little Elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadgoodies View Post
Aren't these just GREAT!? I got one too and immediately wanted (and ordered!) another. My my sister did the same thing! LOL.

Candy
I know, Candy. I saw yours on their website. I think they are great. Once I have another one I can empty out two more drawers and one level of my wheely cart LOL