No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2007-09-27, 6:47am
old fart

Default my lampworking studio

previously, i have posted a few photos of my offhand studio, but not of my lampworking studio. so i am posting a few photos of it to help illustrate how i made a lampworking studio on a budget. my design goals were to

1) make it inexpensive
2) minimize any permament changes to the room
3) make it flexible for changes in the future

basically, my lampworking studio sits on top of a 4 foot banquet table, the kind you can buy at walmart or many stores. i covered the top of the table with a trimmed sheet of cement wall board to make it more fire proof. i then covered the cement with 12x12 inch granite squares which i use as a marver. i made my ventilation hood by mounting the cheapest standard cooking hood i could find to a the legs of a black an decker work surface. the hood rests on these legs, and does not require any permament instalation of the hood. i removed the weak fan from this hood, cut a big hole in its top, and mounted a $30 squirrel cage fan to its top that then vents outside through a duct. i did drill a hole in the wall to vent through, but you could do the same thing by venting out through a near by window. the window could be sealed up with an appropriate sized piece of wood or plastic to minimize the heating or air conditioning of the studio. you still need a nearby make up air duct or an open window or door to the outside.

i used additional sheets of the cement wall board on both sides and the back side of the lampworking area to essentially "box in" the area to improve ventilation and to guard against hot pieces of glass flying off and causing issues in the surrounding area. i mounted rails to the legs of the hood to act as arm rests, and a pull out bench when i do offhand style glassblowing using the small glory hole located at the back end of the bench. on top of the hood, i mounted my temperature controller that controlls the mailbox annealer located to the right of my lampworking area. you can also see my natural gas manifold next to the kiln which is set up for two torches. i have a nortel major/minor torch using tanked oxygen, and a national 3a torch using a 5 lpm oxygen conecntrator for required oxygen. i also have a hot plate in the area for preheating soft glass to minimize cracking.

my oxygen tank and concentrator are located to the left of my lampworking area, and my tools are on a bench to my right. i have a variety of both lampworking and offhand tools on my tool bench.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-27, 10:30am

GGOOOOODDDD STUFF. Thank you for a post of a safe, inexpensive place to create!
Jen
Old 2007-09-30, 7:15am

Default Very nice!

You are so resourceful! I love the mailbox annealer!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-12-31, 4:30pm

Thumbs up love the mail box

HI
its obvious O F is very creative I would like to know were you got the mail box idea (just great)
Thanks
Bob Proulx
Old 2008-01-01, 8:30am
old fart

mailbox annealers have been around from many years. i did not invent them. in fact i think you can buy them from some vendors that at the moment i cannot recall. the large rural mailbox that i used is an obvious choice since it is large, and made of steel. my design is a little different than most mailbox annealers i have seen since the heater is in the back end of the kiln, and i use the metal lineing to help redistrubute the IR energy from the heater throughout the kiln. the brick floor gives the kiln more thermal mass than a frax only kiln so it helps to stabilize the temperature. my design is real easy to build as it does not require any cutting of bricks and only requires a limited amount of tools. i posted a tutorial on it at WC. also i posted a tutorial at WC on building a temperature controller as well.

Old 2008-11-06, 12:40pm
birdergirl ~o~

Mark?
What size (cfm? ) is that fan?
I don't see them at HD anymore ,
Can you suggest a good fan in a range of 1-300 cfm?
My studio is 6 feet by 8 feet 7.6 feet tall.
I have a funnel type exhaust.
Is having funnel to fan duct work size bigger than the intake duct size on a fan a problem?
( other than needing to scale it down to fit the fan intake)
I have 8 inch duct work installed.
Thanks for your help ( always!)

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~

Last edited by cadia; 2008-11-06 at 4:38pm.
Old 2008-11-06, 2:46pm
old fart

i use one similar to this

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9632_200329632

it isn't very expensive and it moves plenty of air for your funnel duct. you can find standard HVAC duct work to interface with the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Mark?
What size (cfm? ) is that fan?
I don't see them at HD anymore ,
Can you suggest a good fan in a range of 1-300 cfm?
My studio is My studio is 6 feet by 8 feet 7.6 feet tall.
I have a funnel type exhaust.
Is having funnel to fan duct work size bigger than the intake duct size on a fan a problem?
( other than needing to scale it down to fit the fan intake)
I have 8 inch duct work installed.
Thanks for your help ( always!)

Old 2008-11-06, 4:51pm
birdergirl ~o~

Thank you Mark!
Sally

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-11-06, 5:30pm
Flaming my life away

Thank you for a most informative thread.
Old 2008-12-16, 7:07am
old fart

a little more detail on my lampworking furnace/gloryhole. it is powered by a national 3a torch running on natural gas and oxygen from a 5 l/min oxygen concnetrator. thus its heating capacity is aroun 8000 btu/hour. this means in need to keep the internal size as small as possible and insulate it very well. i placed a home made crucible on the floor fo the melter. this crucible can hold about 1 to 2 pounds of glass. i built a pull out glassblowing bench into my lampworking area so i can use mini steel blowpipes and puntys. the bench torch is used for adding color, and the furnace/gloryhole is used for gathering clear and reheats.
Attached Images

Old 2009-01-04, 6:35pm

Wink

OF, I'm very new to melting glass and just found this site yesterday. I've VERY interested in your mailbox annealer. You mentioned you had posted tutorials. Can you please provide a link? I just don't have the money right now to buy one. I work with soft glass in my garage and think this would be the perfect solution. Currently, I take my stuff to my favorate studio and rent oven time.

Thanks for your help.

Joy--Newbie who has developed a passion for playing with fire.
Old 2009-01-04, 8:51pm
THe quiet one....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162187

There you go!

Vikki

If you have to have an attitude...pick a good one
Old 2009-01-04, 8:52pm
THe quiet one....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126999

You'll want this too.

Vikki

If you have to have an attitude...pick a good one
Old 2009-01-05, 6:29am
old fart

also, here is a tutorial on a smaller kiln i made.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...ight=stovepipe

Old 2009-01-10, 12:19pm

I am very interested in making the mailbox annealer but can't find a salvage/surplus store locally that would have the items I need for the controller. Does anyone in the Virginia area know of any?

Thank you very much for these great tutorials mark, I can see you put a lot of time into them and I am very grateful. Is frax the same thing as the fiber insulation blankets they sell at lampworking sites?
Old 2009-01-11, 9:19pm

Smile Wow old fart you are a badass!!!!

Your personal offhand studio is soo cool , I love blowing hot glass , I miss blowing large pieces , lucky man you are , I miss living in Corning NY where I got to blow hot glass and experience so many good glass adventures , cheers to your home studio , blow lots a glass ,
Beau
Old 2009-01-12, 6:42pm

Very cool! And, your tutorial on WC ... awesome! Thanks for all your sharing! You are very inspiring!