Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-12-24, 6:35am

Default spiral cane?

I have been seeing spiral cane/murrini, mostly in Japanese beads. Anyone have any suggestions how to make one?
Pam
Old 2007-12-24, 8:38am
Anyone need some spacers?

Can you give us a link or a photo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-24, 1:47pm

Me Too, I Wanna Know!!!

Steph
Old 2007-12-25, 4:49pm

The only pics I have seen are in the Japanese bead book with a bunch of different Japanese beadmakers and a few 'mericans, not the instructional Japanese book...no luck finding any pictures on line so far...Ms Kneidel from Israel had a couple on Ebay about a month ago too...
Old 2007-12-25, 8:55pm

cool, i will watch for her!!

steph
Old 2007-12-26, 12:13am
Ezzy

There's a bead in the Japanese beadmaking book in which the murrini were twisted, much like you would do with a dot. That may be the effect you are seeing.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-12-27, 6:45am

No, what I am looking at is not done with that technique.
Old 2007-12-27, 3:41pm
Floral Obsessed

I know this technique! It's easier than it looks. I use it for my fish eyes. I remember Ginny and I contributed to a tip/tutorial thread a while ago but I couldn't find it. I found this one, though:

Corina's Starburst Tutorial
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24672

This will show you how to make a basic cane starburst. To make it spiral, just pull a twisted stripy cane instead of a straight stripy cane.

Corina's tutorial shows how to pre-cut the cane into murrina and apply with tweezers. My technique is easier (IMHO, anyhow!). I just melt the very tip of the stripy cane, hold it perpendicular to the mandrel, push it onto the bead where I will want the starburst, then pull away gently - but don't flame-cut! This should make a narrower "neck" between the applied starburst dot and the cane. Let it cool until it's solid, then nip through the neck with nippers (you may be able to use pliers or tweezers, too). Then melt and plunge as usual.

If you flame-cut you'll end up with a little tail that will flop over and give you a directional "scale" look instead of a radial starburst.

Here's an example of my fish eyes. I cap them in clear after plunging, to trap airbubbles. I think it gives them a lot of character.
Attached Images

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-12-27, 4:10pm
Dangerous Woman

I like your fish lips too.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-12-27, 4:22pm
Floral Obsessed

Those are dead easy - add a blob, then crease it with a knife!

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-12-28, 1:00am

Try this:
http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/cane.html

Attach the cane to the bead, cut it off and pull it out to a point, then heat it until it blends in.

Steve

Old 2007-12-28, 7:19am

Thank you all for going to the trouble of replying. The spiral I am refering to is a SINGLE line, not several. Maybe I would get a similar result by putting only one stripe on the rod...but I am positive the spiral I am seeing is a built up cane like maybe a version of initial canes... or maybe rolled up lollipop...I'll keep hacking away
Old 2007-12-28, 9:11pm
Ruri Glass Studio

I made the spiral by rolling up an elongated lollipop.
Old 2007-12-29, 12:50am

Yes, yes, I'm sure that's it! Thanks for confirming my hunch...now to try that out