LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-09, 7:41am

Default Help a Norwigian with english

well have one question don't know if I put it on the right site but I'm making my webshop in english and now i like to know what are the difrent between a focal bead and a pendant ? for me it looks like it is the same

my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-09, 7:49am
honorary bead lady

A focal bead is usually a large bead that draws your eye.
It can either be strung horizontally surrounded by smaller beads.
or
Hung vertically and made into a pendant.
Old 2008-03-09, 7:53am

If I see pendant I assume it is a finished piece that is ready wear on a chain or cord. Whereas a focal bead you may have to add components to make it wearable.

I also agree with David's comments

Becky
Old 2008-03-09, 9:02am

Thanks that help alot so greatful

my blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-09, 3:00pm
Burn baby, burn

A pendant can also have a self-contained loop at the top, whereas a bead with a loop at the top for stringing I wouldn't call a focal.
Old 2008-03-09, 6:19pm
Ruri Glass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
A pendant can also have a self-contained loop at the top, whereas a bead with a loop at the top for stringing I wouldn't call a focal.
English is not my first language, but I disagree.
I don't make the type of beads, so I lifted this photo from somewhere (Sorry, whoever the creator is, but this is for education purpose.)

The pendant is not glass piece, but let's say it is a glass piece with self-contained loop. Wouldn't you call it a focal piece?
Technically speaking, a focal bead is a single dominant piece in a necklace regardless of the complexity of the bead. So it is a bit strange to call a loose bead "focal bead." But we call relatively complex and large beads "focal beads" because we think they deserve to be a dominant piece in a necklace. But if one strings a bunch of so-called focal beads and make a necklace, none of them are focal beads any more. Am I correct?

Last edited by Emiko; 2008-03-09 at 6:36pm.
Old 2008-03-09, 6:56pm

Here is a large focal in the middle of the set.

Here is a couple pendent.

Hope this helps
Scott

ESTY
Old 2008-03-09, 9:12pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiko View Post
Are these still focal beads?
I think we're getting down to the difference in semantics; those could be called a set of focal beads, which would imply/let the buyer know they are large enough to act as focals on their own. Yes, if you string a whole necklace of "focal" beads, then none of them act as THE focal bead.

A pendant is something that hangs, while a bead is threaded. And yes, you thread the pendant onto your string, but what differentiates it is that it hangs down. There can also be an implication of front/back to a pendant.

As houptdavid said, hanging a focal bead vertically will turn it into a pendant.

Perleloftet, what type of things are you trying to decide to call pendant versus focal bead? Or have we beaten this dead horse enough? Lisa

Last edited by Lisa; 2008-03-10 at 8:06am. Reason: edited at request of quotee
Old 2008-03-09, 9:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadmama View Post
If I see pendant I assume it is a finished piece that is ready wear on a chain or cord. Whereas a focal bead you may have to add components to make it wearable.

I also agree with David's comments

Becky

I have to agree here. I see a pendant as a ready to wear item (either with a loop or wire) on a cord or chain.

A focal bead is the bead used to make the pendant (if not with a loop already) or a bead that is the center of attention or the largest bead in the set.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-03-10, 12:12am

Here are som exampels

this one would I call a pendant

This a focal

and now the trikky one this i would call a pendant

the lampworkbeads large i call forcal or just bead.

my blog:
Old 2008-03-10, 1:13am
Ruri Glass Studio

Scott,
I apologize. I pulled my post and sent a PM to Lisa to ask her to delete the quote.

Emiko
Old 2008-03-10, 7:39am

Scott, I just have one thing to say, "WOW", what ever anyone else wants to call it, I agree with you. I would call it a focal bead the way you have it strung. I love the colours of your beads and the heart is to die for.
CJ
Old 2008-03-10, 8:29am
Ruri Glass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
what ever anyone else wants to call it, I agree with you. I would call it a focal bead the way you have it strung.
One thing I would like to clarify. Of course the largest bead in his set is a focal bead. I didn't deny that. What I'm saying is calling loose beads "focal" is a funny thing since if a jewelry piece is made of multiple "focal beads," the "focal beads" are not focal beads. From what size up and what kind of complexity can a loose bead be called "focal"?
Old 2008-03-10, 11:23am
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perleloftet View Post

and now the trikky one this i would call a pendant

the lampworkbeads large i call forcal or just bead.

Yes, it is tricky! That is definitely a pendant. The flat kiln-formed fused glass "beads" where they've inserted something so the glass doesn't slump and leaves a place to run a string through are almost all pendants, as they are meant to hang and dangle. Nice work! Lisa
Old 2008-03-10, 12:04pm
I'll get there!

If you have any other norwegian-to-english questions, you can just ask me, Ann. My english is pretty decent, and of course my noewegian is even better
Old 2008-03-10, 12:40pm

Thanks Lisa

Hi Helle nice to se some more Norwigians in here *S*

my blog: