No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-11-01, 11:49am
Not really a tree.

Default Free Mini Tutorial: Using Grace's Disc Shaper from Graceful Customs

Hi there!

I've written a free mini-tutorial on making glass discs using Grace's Disc Shaper, a tool made by Graceful Customs. I am not affiliated with the company, other than I really like their tools!

The tut came about after I ordered a custom disc shaper, with a slot for 3/16-inch to 1/4-inch mandrels. (Which will probably be available soon as a production tool.) I was letting them know how much I loved it, and they asked me how I used it. I got a little carried away, and this little tutorial was born. The same techniques apply whether you are using the original tool with the smaller mandrel slot, or the larger-slot version.

I will be making some updates and edits, but the original version is at
http://www.greywillow.com/p/using-gr...-graceful.html

There is a link to the printable pdf version in the middle of the page, as well as image files of the two pages that should also be printable. If you have issues and can't print either one, please let me know.

Please feel free to let me know if you see any typos or other issues!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

Last edited by greywillow; 2011-11-01 at 2:23pm.
Old 2011-11-02, 8:40am
Burning through glass

Thanks Kristi! Your tut is wonderfully written! Very easy to read and understand. Coincidentally, this tool is exactly what I've been needing for the disks I've been making lately.....so, I just bought one! This is going to make my life a LOT easier!!!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2011-11-02, 8:57am
Not really a tree.

Glad you like it, Renee! Thanks!

I did have to temporarily pull the pdf file, but there are still printable pages lower down on the same page. Something went wacky when I added to the tut and resaved the new pdf. I'm trying to fix it now.

/
Old 2011-11-02, 9:09am
MacGalver

Looks good, Kristi!

Jo

Old 2011-11-02, 9:50am
Not really a tree.

Thanks, Jo! Thanks for your suggestions as well, and to everyone who took a peek and gave me input. I appreciate all of the constructive feedback.

I fixed the pdf file to the best of my abilities at the moment...it should be printable without issue, I believe. There are a few more edits I may go back and make, and I still can't get the links in the pdf to go live, but at least the pages are within a reasonable, printable file size now.

Please feel free to let me know if there are any more kinks that I need to work out! (Other than the one in my neck... )

/
Old 2011-11-02, 10:02am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Thank you for doing this Kristi!

Old 2011-11-02, 10:40am
Not really a tree.

You're very welcome!

/
Old 2011-11-02, 11:03am

Thank you for that. I think that I am mashing with the tool, which is giving me ragged bead holes by pushing glass into the slot of the tool. Must be more gentle.

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-11-02, 11:49am
Not really a tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
Thank you for that. I think that I am mashing with the tool, which is giving me ragged bead holes by pushing glass into the slot of the tool. Must be more gentle.
I really do hope it helps! I guess a few people were having that problem. I suppose it's somewhat ingrained to automatically want to use them like regular mashers. We're so used to using making beads then mashing them with mashers that mash on a horizontal plane with the mandrel that it seems like the way to go. But with these, since they work on a plane that's perpendicular with the mandrel, doing a big mash doesn't really work.

Of course, there may be a million different ways of doing this...I've just found that the gentle method works best for me.

/

Last edited by greywillow; 2011-11-02 at 2:09pm. Reason: Edited my ramble -- not sure it made any sense at all.
Old 2011-11-04, 8:25am

Thanks Kristi, your tutorial and illustrations were superb, very professional looking, I only know how to take pics! I am going to include a copy of the instructions with each order, it does take practice to learn how to use each new tool! Grace