LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-01, 8:01pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Default Precious Metal Clay & Lampwork Beads...

Hi everyone,

I really want to learn how to use PMC. I have a 1000 questions on where and how to start, CAN I use my beads with PMC (butane torch firing, etc) or is that not possible without breaking the bead...

For those that know a lot about PMC, tell me where to start, please?

Thanks so much! I'm off to do some research on the internet but anxiously await any info y'all!

~Lynn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Last edited by lynn's lampwork; 2010-09-02 at 8:02am.
Old 2010-09-01, 9:42pm

Yes you can ... but I'm not a master of how! I want to say you use overlay paste, but I haven't yet experimented (or taken a class) in how to do it.

Old 2010-09-02, 5:30pm

There are a lot of threads in the jewelry section that talk about this. Try a search there and in the metal working room.
Old 2010-09-02, 7:08pm

Rocio has a wondrful book on using PMC and beads together. It is "The Art of Beads, Vol 2". You can find it on her web site. www.fineartbyrocio.com.
I have it and I love it. Anita
Old 2010-09-03, 5:35pm

I worked PMC before I started torching. And yes, PMC 3 can be wrapped around your bead, fused glass, etc.

However, I've never torch fired. Always kiln fired. So I can't speak to that. Some glass will change colors. Since I let my teacher do my firing (rather than mess with my kiln and outfitting my tumbler) ... all the technicalities are a little beyond me. (exact temps she uses to successfully fire).

I would think torch firing would be prone to uneven heating which could cause cracking or devit from over heating some areas.

Old 2010-09-03, 9:35pm

Oh yes ... no torch firing I imagine due to thermal shock issues of the glass!