No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-14, 3:09pm
Salt Box Beads

Default Standing (not sitting) torching questions

Hi everyone, I have decided to stand while I torch mainly because I sit while watching T.V., I sit while I eat, I sit while I read, I sit while on the computer and so on an so forth...No weight loss or firming up goin' on here!

I have tried several different ways of setting up my torch area for standing torching, and I just can't seem to figure out how to brace my forearms/wrists for that steady control???

Does anyone that stands while torching have any photos to share of how they do it and what do you use to rest your arms on, and how do you keep from bending your neck down all the time, and keep stress off your neck, back and shoulders etc?

Thanks
Lorraine
Old 2006-12-14, 3:31pm
addicted to dichro

I stand while I torch because its easier for me to concentrate. I don't rest my arms on anything, because don't find I need to. I'll probably have a bad back when I get older but one thing you can do is rise the table you are using.

I also think its a lot safer to stand. Hot glass can't land on your lap and if you do drop something, you can step back from it quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-14, 4:02pm

I stand when I torch as well. My bench is higher than a table by far. Its a comfortable hight to stand up straight at and not have to brace my arms or bend over or anything. To it at it I have to use a very high stool, one so high my feet don't touch the ground when I sit. I much prefer the standig. no more shoulder pain or back pain. but you need your work area high enough not to have to bend if you are going to stand.

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2006-12-14, 4:17pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Why not get something like "Creation Station" and put it on a couple of blocks (wood or concrete) to raise it up to standing position... For that matter how about just raising whole bench to standing work height...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-12-14, 4:22pm
sunscreen me baby

I recently starting perching on the end of a stool, but when I stand I squeeze my elbows into my sides to steady my hands.

~

Old 2006-12-14, 4:23pm
sunscreen me baby

Good idea Dale, my bench is raised higher than a table would be so it is at the right height to stand.

~

Old 2006-12-14, 5:33pm
Salt Box Beads

All very good ideas.
Mandyjw I had to laugh at your post about the "older" part...I am already older..LOL I need to be careful now or my body reacts in adverse ways...haha.

And thanks to everyone else, my regular studio set up is packed away in storage and it was very comfortable sitting or standing....I hope our home sells soon!! I want my workbench back!!

So right now I am setting up temporarily with my trusty back up HH and using the kitchen stove as my bench..I like that it has a great hood with a light and it vents directly outside and I have lots of fresh air replacement that doesn't interfere with the fans doing its job with my torch fumes.

I think for now the toilet paper roll arm rests will work for the short term, and I have to show the house when realtors call so I am not using the kitchen much anyway. I also have everything set up so I can put it away out of sight quickly.

It is a very bare bones set up but at least I can use up the last of those 8pesky 1LB cannisters of propane and then I can haul them to the dump.. They get really mad if there is any fuel left in them..LOL
I am only making small beads and batch annealing etc. nothing fancy until we get relocated. Just enough to keep me happy and still torching.
Thanks again
Lorraine
Old 2006-12-14, 5:52pm
sunscreen me baby

Where are you moving? My house is on the market too. Not the best time to be selling a house, lol.

~

Old 2006-12-14, 7:38pm
Always with a smile!

My bench is set so I can either stand or sit on a higher stool with arm rests. I trade off standing and sitting and I have a creation station, I can rest my elbows on station platforms if I need more stability. The height is much higher than a table, I just need to figure out a way to mount my shield on a flexible gooseneck so that I can reposition it when I reposition the torch which depends on whether I'm sitting or standing.

) and
)
Old 2006-12-14, 8:43pm
Salt Box Beads

JKnapp, That was my studio set up before it got moved to storage...I like that I could stand or sit easily.

Dale, I think raising the C.S. might work very well....... I may try the creation station after we get moved.

Hi SuzyQ, No it isn't really the best time for a move.... My husband is in the Rockies working in gas and oil field test sites. He is a geologist. If he stays with this company he will be working in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and New Mexico...but the weather is very harsh..it is mostly around zero weather.

We were thinking of Grand Junction, Montrose or Moab Utah so he could be within a six hour drive to most of the fields. But he really would like a better weather job..LOL so actually I haven't got a clue where I am moving to?
If he is still in the Rockies when we sell the house and he is actively searching for a different company to work for I will probably buy a F550 truck, a huge toy hauler fifth wheel and just follow him around until he gets a job he really likes....

What is your moving situation?? I hope it is better than mine..LOL
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2006-12-14 at 8:45pm.
Old 2006-12-15, 6:43am

Here is an old article by Robert Mickelsen about standing at the torch: http://www.mickelsenstudios.com/articles/STA_DEL.HTM

Jan

Last edited by JanMD; 2006-12-15 at 6:45am.
Old 2006-12-15, 10:21am
Salt Box Beads

Thanks Jan that was very interesting! I actually printed it and I am going to keep it in my lampwork folder. Thanks so much for shaing that article.
Lorraine
Old 2006-12-15, 10:37am

The over torch arm and hand rest
http://www.generationsglass.com/Torch_Accessories.html
is what I use.
I have always stood, I've tried sitting, and find it
very confining. Psychically as well as physically.
But I still need an arm/hand rest for precision, and this one works
great for me. It's not in the way, and is very adjustable. It also works
for a big torch--mine is a pm2d. The creation station is very cool, but wont work with a big torch, and seems better suited to sitting down.

jacki
Old 2006-12-15, 10:01pm
Salt Box Beads

Jacki that is way KOOL!! I think something like might work very well....Thanks for the great link.
Lorraine
Old 2006-12-16, 10:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherzz2u View Post
I will probably buy a F550 truck, a huge toy hauler fifth wheel and just follow him around until he gets a job he really likes....
That sounds like fun!

Old 2006-12-16, 11:15am

I sit for detail and small work and stand for tubing and any blown work, my chair is on wheels so i can hook it with my foot and pull it over to sit if i need to. my bench is set up to work standing comfy and my chair is adjustable. I basically stood up and held a rod, measured how high from the floor, subracted the height of my torch and made my table that height so its specific to me.
ro