Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-08-02, 10:43am

Default Advice Please

I work at a studio that rents time to fusers and lampworkers, the lampwork studio is above the studio. I only work for two hours once a week, but I often get killer headaches while at the torch that last for several hours.
I thought this was probably because of bad ergonomics, then last week I found out that in the fusing studio they are fusing glass collected from broken bus stops. It's the kind of glass that is coated to not break easily and then to break into squares if it does. Today the kilns were going downstairs and there was a strong chemical odor.
Could this be the cause of the headaches?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-08-02, 10:59am

Wow, Dayna...I don't have the actual medical knowledge behind my thoughts to tell you that what sounds like that the fumes are definitely causing your severe headaches. But it can't be good short-term or long term. Your head is telling you something. I would get checked out if your headaches persist and linger.

Have you tried talking to the owner? I guess I would start there. And maybe would try to change my schedule to work when such activity is not going on downstairs.

Be safe!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-08-02, 1:59pm
Salt Box Beads

Does each lampwork station have an exhaust system and replacement air system?

If yes, it may not be adequate and if no, I would not torch there again.
Old 2013-08-02, 2:13pm
TJ

Hi Dayna,

I'm in Calgary too. I have gone to to that studio for torch time over the past year as well. I could taste the gas and felt sick after 2 hours as well a number of times. I thought it was their ventilation. In my case, it was because I did not know that the fans were not always turned on, that they could be set higher or lower at any time, and that no one would instruct me to do so. Now I know better, and how to turn those knobs ALL THE WAY UP when I torch there for maximum ventilation.

But if you already do that... and you say you smelled chemicals, I would tend to agree with you that it may be from the fusing, being that it is right below. I never noticed any chemical smell, so that sounds like something new and unique recently. I am no expert whatsoever, but I would lean towards suspecting the same thing as you (if the fans are on full blast in the torch area, that is).

I am close to being done setting up my home studio now in the NW. I have a Lucio torch and an M-15 oxycon. If you want to try it out sometime, give me a shout or pm me with your phone number!

Tami
My Mission and metier: to mindfully and meticulously master the movement of marvelous molten, both mentally and manually, in order to metamorphosis a melting mass into meretricious, memorable makings.
Old 2013-08-02, 7:48pm

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the offer Tami.
I looked up safety glass on wiki and it sounds like bus shelters are made from tempered glass which is created by an annealing process. So it shouldn't have any different chemicals in it?..I think.
I'm not sure about fusing, is ventilation required for it in general?
The studio, as Tami said, has overhead hood fans, mine was on today but another girl was there and she didn't know to turn it on (I pointed it out before I left)
I'm really upset at the thought that fumes may be making me sick, If itsjusthow I'm sitting I'll power through, but if it is something chemical then I would have no choice but to quit going there (which I would hate to have to do!!)

Old 2013-08-03, 6:41am

a search on the web suggests that some bus shelters are made with laminated glass, which has an internal layer of a polycarbonate. I would imagine that this could produce fumes if kilned.
Hope you get this sorted.
Old 2013-08-08, 6:13am
Phill

I think you are being poisoned my self.
I am an old salty sailor and I would point out to the owner of the shop that if anyone can prove they got sick at his shop for whatever reason the sick person's lawyer would own the shop shortly.
Laminated glass has a plastic layer between two layers of glass and it seems that they are "cooking off" this plastic without proper ventilation. If you can smell it, they dont have it ventilated right and everyone is being poisoned by it.
Old 2013-08-08, 6:34am

It might be worth trying to find a place you know has proper ventilation for a session. No headache afterwards? Then it's not the way you're sitting.

Old 2013-08-08, 6:36am
Phill

As to the possible source of you headaches being from posture and your inclination to "power through it" that is is just as scary to me. If your getting headaches from the way your sitting, change the way your sitting. I am not current on the research but 20 years ago they were saying that doing an activity that causes this kind of pain now will lead to health problems in two or three decades that wont go away, ever.

You owe it to your future self and to your children that are going to have to take care of you when you get older to do the reasearch now on why your posture is giving you headaches.

Sorry about the rant... You did come to the safety threads so I am telling it like I see it.

Be good to your body and listen to what its telling you please.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2013-08-08 at 6:40am.
Old 2013-08-08, 12:56pm

Your right Speedslug, I definitely need to figure this out either way. It's just that if it is the way I'm sitting there isn't much beyond posture that I can correct. The chairs and tables aren't mine to change.
I am going to work at a friends house this weekend, she has a new ventilation system, so hopefully as Rachel points out, it will be a good test.
I think it's just going to push me to get something set up at home even faster, that's the only way I'll know for sure that I'm not being exposed to anything toxic.
If I don't get a headache after working in a different studio I will definitely bring up my concerns with the manager.

Old 2013-08-08, 1:38pm
Phill

There are things that you can do at the studio though.
Bring a seat cushion to raise your self up until your upper legs are parallel to the floor.
Your feet should hit the floor flat with your heels just under your knees (close is OK). Another small cushion at the small of your back will help you sit up straighter.
The work table should support your elbows when your upper arms are about at 45 degrees. Padding, even a wash cloth, under the elbows will protect them from constant copntact with the hard surface. I use a bath towel folded to 8 inches by 24 inches by 3 inches thick. Yeah, I know its flamable so I work slower so as to not have a lot of popping hot glass and I stop and check when I lose track of a piece of hot glass. I keep a water glass to stick my fingers in (lol) as well as a spray bottle to get the ones out of reach.
Your forarms should about 90 degrees to your upper arm while you are working.
Tilt the totch up so your wrists are not bent.
Pretend to work with the gas off for a bit and examine closely how your body feels. Is your neck tense? What is the staus of your shoulders? Are your glasses comfortable? If your tilting your head up to keep the glasses from sliding, get a head strap to hold them in place.
Work under hand for a while(so you can see most of the glass rod in your finger tips) then change positions and work over hand for a while. You will find what is comfortable.
Corrina Tettinger (sp) has her torch up on about 6 inches of blocks.
If the torches are mounted tilting is the only option for the time being.
Alot of folks use toilet paper rolls covered in aluminum foil from the kitchen as arm rests. Me, I am looking forward to using gel padded bicycle seat cushions as wrist rests in the near future.
Move the chair back and forth often and take breaks often.
Your are learning something new with the glass but your also learning something new with your body.

As to the headaches, I real feel strongly that if your can smell any thing at all then that is the source for them. Huffing hydrocarbons gives everyone headaches as do the nitrousoxides. And lets not forget our friend carbonmonoxide and dioxide, one gives headaches the other one just kills you.

There are lot of threads here on the details of getting comfortable while melting glass.
I am glad your asking questions. That is the best sign.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2013-08-08 at 1:41pm.
Old 2013-08-08, 6:22pm

Thank you for taking the time to write all that out, I'll print it out and take it with me to check through when I torch

Old 2013-08-08, 7:31pm
Slogan Challenged...

These are some good ideas, I need to get out my arm rests.

Facebook:

Etsy: