Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-05-03, 11:19am
The Venerable Bead

Default Boro Microwavable?

I had a custom request for a boro button that is going to be fastened to a neck wrap that goes into the microwave for 2 minutes at a time. can boro withstand that? should i warn the customer against this idea?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Paula AKA The Venerable Bead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-05-03, 11:22am
ManBearPig

You can microwave water in Pyrex measuring cups. They are made of soda-lime glass, so I'm assuming you could put borosilicate in the microwave. Having never tried it, I'm not sure though. However, I would think that the glass would get pretty hot and could cause a burning risk to whoever touches it when it comes out of the microwave...

Old 2010-05-03, 11:24am
ManBearPig

A quick google search for "microwave borosilicate" returned a lot of results of items made of borosilicate that are designed for microwave use:

http://www.google.com/search?q=micro...ient=firefox-a

Old 2010-05-03, 11:25am
The Venerable Bead

oh true cosmo i was thinking more like thermal shock and breakage but burns are another risk. yeah i think I will let her know it's not a tremendously good idea . thanks

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

Old 2010-05-03, 11:27am
ManBearPig

Well, like I said, I've never tried it. I have microwaved many glass things, but they all had water in them. Since the water got hot, of course the glass got hot. I've never tried heating empty glass pieces in the microwave.

Old 2010-05-03, 3:27pm
boro color bender

I'd be concerned about boro color... i know clear and some of the colors would be safe to use... but some times metal in the microwave does bad things... some of the oxides are metal.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-05-03, 3:33pm

Watch this. Its pretty fun to do. Good demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj2u2n_o7Cw

Old 2010-05-03, 4:17pm
pedal as fast as you can

Seeing that reminds me...don't they make a microwave glass fusing thingy ?

Old 2010-05-03, 5:19pm
Borovangelist

Except for Brent's point about the heavy metal content, it should be fine. I wouldn't go from freezer to the microwave, but from room temp, it should be ok.

Try making a clear paddle and stick in there to try it. Just put it on something microwave safe in case it does go boom. But it should be ok. It's under more stress under a bunsen burner then in the microwave.

|
|
Old 2010-05-03, 8:21pm
The Venerable Bead

yeah i'm thinking I'm all set. if anyone wants to have a go with it let me know and i will send her your way. thanks for the input everyone

— Audrey Hepburn

Old 2010-05-04, 6:31am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

i make glass straws with little designs on 'em. my wife has microwaved 'em many, many times and never had a problem. i've seen the straws go from freezer to microwave many times with no problems yet.
so far i haven't seen any problem with the metal in colors, i think it's in to small of a quantity to affect the microwave.

Old 2010-05-04, 10:40am
The Venerable Bead

do you want to make a button for this lady? if so give me your email and i will have her contact you. thanks

— Audrey Hepburn

Old 2010-05-11, 7:58am

Curious, would this "un-anneal" the glass or would it not get hot enough to worry about??

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2010-05-11, 9:19am
boro color bender

won't get hot enough...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-05-11, 10:43am

I didn't think so but was wondering... Hey it was BEFORE my coffee.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2010-05-11, 2:35pm
boro color bender

I totally understand that!

I need more right now or i won't make it til i put the little ones in bed...