Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-12-22, 7:58pm
i need help

Well I took everything down today and hid it throughout my apartment since the landlord would like to show my apartment since I'll be in my new house jan 7. I'm so excited to make this thing more permanent and put the propane outside and all that! What do people use to shut off circulation through the vent when not in use? Baffles or what? I'd like to hear...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-25, 9:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
There is a test suggested on another board that is similar to the smoking paper test.
Fire up the torch as you would be using it.
Sit or stand where you would normally be.
Burn a small piece of bacon in the flame.
If you can smell any bacon smell it's not good enough.
PJH
oops, i might burn my nose TRYING to smell the bacon

steph
Old 2007-12-28, 8:02pm
i need help

mmmmmmmm bacon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-29, 9:39am
Spare Time Designs

sjglass..I have a question..does the squirrel fan make alot of noise? I am in the same process as you are and am curious how much noise I'll have to deal with. Also, what cfm did you end up going with again? Was it 500cfm? Lastly, how big in diameter is your ductwork? Thanks so much! And Good luck!

Old 2007-12-29, 10:21am
i need help

I'd say the loudest part is the suction noise. Like the hiss of the air moving which can be pretty loud. I can talk to someone standing next to me with the fan on and hold a conversation though. I set this up in my apartment and no one called the cops on me so...

The fan motor itself is relatively quite. I ended up with 800cfm's going from 6 inch ducting to 12 inch.

Old 2007-12-29, 10:32am
Spare Time Designs

Ok...thank you. I was worried about the noise since I like to listen to music while I'm torching..and I don't want to have to blast the music too much! One last question...you said it was an Ecco fan or something? Where did you buy it at?.....thanks again.

Old 2007-12-29, 6:42pm
i need help

I have a 5.1 surround sounds system with one speaker in the room where I torch and I have to crank it a bit and put the speaker in front of me to hear it.

I had the people from salt lake city hydroponics order it for me.

Old 2007-12-29, 8:44pm
Spare Time Designs

hmmm...i hope i can hear my music. If not, I cannot bead. lol

I'll give it a try....i'll see if I can get ahold of something similar to yours. Thanks for all the help

Old 2008-04-26, 8:24pm
i need help

Well I bought my house and here's what I came up with. I think I may have screwed up a bit though making the hood too big for the fan. We'll see.

Here come some photos...

The whole workspace.

The flame directional space with the exhaust fan peeking in

Better shot of the torch and immediate workspace. I'm thinking of putting a fan infront of the torch to pull air under since my prelim smoke tests weren't the best.

A better shot of the hood and exhaust hole

The ducting and fan

I'm not completely done, I still am building a spot for the propane outside. I'll post photos when I'm done.

**Coupla questions
Has anyone put a fan under their table pulling air down and out?
-pros/cons?

What do you think of the new setup over all? Likes dislikes?

Last edited by sjglass; 2008-04-26 at 8:36pm.
Old 2008-04-27, 11:03am

the smaller the front opening the smaller the fan you can use and maintain negative air flow (as in air from the room flows into the hood) If your fan is a smaller one you may want to decrease the open area. The fan looks to be about 1/4th the size of mine, and my hood opening is about 1/3 the open space I think I'm seeing on yours. Better safer than sick.
Old 2008-04-27, 1:36pm
i need help

I have an 800 cfm fan. you have a 2400 cfm blower? Wow. I may need to lower the volume of my hood but I have yet to measure it. I'll go do that now.

If my math is close I've got something like 13 square feet? If I do 36*52 but only 6 sq feet if I do 36*24. Dave will you comment on this hood system as it's a funky shape. I think I need to lower the depth some how.

Last edited by sjglass; 2008-04-27 at 1:40pm.
Old 2008-04-27, 3:11pm

my understanding is its not so much the volume of the hood as it is the size of the opening. Mine is a 2000 cfm fan.

double checked its only an 1800 cfm fan.

Last edited by Rob; 2008-04-27 at 3:20pm.
Old 2008-04-27, 5:13pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Actually your "average" face opening is about 40 x 36.

So...

40 x 36 = 1440 / 144 = 10(sqft) x 125 = 1250

1250 CFM should be about right for the fan capacity of your work station...

Yes you can cut it down a bit if want want a smaller space...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-04-27, 7:12pm
i need help

hey rob, where'd you get your fan and how much did it cost? My 800 was over 200 bucks...

I could probably sell this one on here and get a bigger one... or buy another one.

Does that make the two blowers fight each other?

Old 2008-04-27, 7:21pm

actually I bought mine at the metal shop and it cost me $10.00 It was a bargain purchase.
Old 2008-04-27, 7:53pm
i need help

got anymore?

Old 2008-04-27, 8:09pm

I can ask. I know there was still a huge one complete with hood- but its much to large for what any of us would do (hood was 12 foot by 8 foot) However I can check there is always the chance another is hanging around or will show up.
Old 2008-04-28, 9:31am

As Dale suggested, you could make the opening smaller. If you lowered the sides all the way to the bench, and lowered the front so it's 2' above your bench. Here are the calculations:

3 x 2 (feet) = 6 (6 square feet face opening) x 125 = 750 (required CFM)

So your fan would be more than adequate for that. You could also add another inch or two to the height of the opening if you wanted.

Having the full enclosure ensures that more of the toxins will get sucked away by the system.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-04-28, 8:42pm
i need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarus View Post
As Dale suggested, you could make the opening smaller. If you lowered the sides all the way to the bench, and lowered the front so it's 2' above your bench.
Those are great suggestions, thanks! I would like the hood to work and not hit me if I want to stand up and work. So I don't think I'll be lowering the hood that far.

Also, I dont' think dale had the height of the hood to the bench in his calculation

I think my best bet is to bring the back wall forward more to cut the volume down most effectively. I may add some ducting and some wood to lower the total volume of the hood from the top but that will be secondary.

No one's commented on the fan pulling under the torch. Has anyone done this have info on it?