Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-24, 8:04am
I like to melt things

I use a long-handled spoon that I bought in South Korea. The 'dish' area of the spoon is wider and shallower than North American spoons.

The spoons usually come in a set with a couple of stainless steel chopsticks, which are also pretty useful as punties. Here's an example of what they look like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Design-T...item27bf511510

We also love them in the kitchen, but I won't torch without my Korean spoon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old 2014-06-24, 9:41am
lurking on LE since 2005

speaking of this frit, I have 2 -2 ounce bags of it that I don't ever use, plus 4.8 ounces of regular rods.
will post in garage sale.

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2014-06-25, 7:36pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
I use a spoon as well, held over a little metal dish which holds the frit. So the spillage goes back into the dish.
Ditto

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-06-26, 7:20am

Thank you so much for all the the frit tips! You all are so kind and generous for sharing! You all rock!!!!! I actually got to the torch earlier this week. I made some frit beads with the spoon shaped holder thingy and it really made a difference. I also decided to hold it right at the torch so that I could take the bead out of the flame and straight into the frit instead of moving it quickly to where I usually have my frit placed. I was very very happy with the coverage. So, thank you, thank you again so much!!!! Cheryl
Old 2014-06-29, 12:52am
offically down under

So...you all don't just stick the hot bead right into the frit jar (glass)?

Old 2014-06-29, 1:22am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Noooo! Not enough control and the hot bead and mandrel has to be horizontal when rolling, or it will wonkify too much. Well, that has just been my experience! I can't speak for anyone else. I have rolled beads in jars of pixie dust, but that is different. The bead does not need to be as hot to pick it up.
Old 2014-06-29, 2:55am

I second the Korean stainless spoon held over a metal dish/scoop. First I tried Asian soup spoons similar to these http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Thai-Chine...item3a6c330b8a but thought they were too deep. To put under the shallow spoons, I bought the stainless scoops recommended by Pat Regel a while back, like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scoop-Gem-Di...item2eaea4bde2. They are really nice.

As an alternate eBay source for the shallower spoons, I like the service and pricing from Mr. Chopsticks. Examples: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOREAN-STAIN...item1c418d1309 or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOREAN-STAIN...item5d4cd39aa7. My niece went home with this set - cute little turtles. Although I've bought several sets, all except one have stayed in the kitchen, because they're so handy in there too.
Old 2014-06-29, 3:47am
Slogan Challenged...

I worry about bead release flaking off in the jar, and messing with the shape of the bead as well. I use all sorts of things, and I'm not really pleased with most of them except for the little frit trays from Arrowsprings. They are usually filled with enamels, though, so mostly useless when I need them.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-06-29, 12:15pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Yes.. Guilty.... But I did repurpose a spice jar rack and bottles to hold the frit so I could tilt it enough to just use it this way. 😃

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-06-30, 6:05pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Yes.. Guilty.... But I did repurpose a spice jar rack and bottles to hold the frit so I could tilt it enough to just use it this way. 😃
Yep, that is what I've done too. Works much better with glass jars than plastic

Old 2014-07-05, 7:23pm
HotFlash Designs

I few years ago I found little aluminum triangle trays at a dollar store. They're about 1/2 inch deep. I think they're for candles.

I use them, but I'm not really thrilled with them. I just ordered the korean spoon from one of the links above, so I'll try that. I'm always looking for a better frit tool.

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2014-07-05, 7:23pm
HotFlash Designs

I wonder, would a coffee scoop be a good depth?

Old 2014-07-05, 7:49pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantonetoo View Post
I few years ago I found little aluminum triangle trays at a dollar store. They're about 1/2 inch deep. I think they're for candles.

I use them, but I'm not really thrilled with them. I just ordered the korean spoon from one of the links above, so I'll try that. I'm always looking for a better frit tool.
I think you will like the spoon! I love it because I can scoop a little frit out of the jar, roll the bead in it, and then pour the leftover frit back into the jar from the spoon straightaway. No mess and no fuss, unless I am clumsy.

-
-
Old 2014-07-05, 10:30pm
one day at a time

Coffee spoon sounds good! The concave shape of the spoon helps keep the frit heaped up enough to roll effectively through it. I have the triangular aluminum seed bead trays you are talking about, and they allow the frit to flatten out too much.

Here is the mini gray boat I have, and it holds a little more than a tablespoon. The seller says they have more of these in stock than just the one in the listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en
Old 2014-07-06, 4:19pm
HotFlash Designs

Lisi, do you just have a couple out on your bench while you're working? (different colors)

I think I might need one (or 4) of those.

Old 2014-07-06, 4:39pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantonetoo View Post
Lisi, do you just have a couple out on your bench while you're working? (different colors)

I think I might need one (or 4) of those.
I have two and I use just one at a time. Less chance of me knocking it over. lol!