LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-27, 3:17pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Default Is there a trick to tell the differences in black?

I have a bunch of 104 blacks and every time I think I have them figured out, I don't. It usually ends up with a messed up bead. I've tried melting them into ivory and seeing what spreads. I've also tried white. I know I have regular moretti, hades, intense and metallic. I've also tried melting the ends into paddles. Some sort of have a metallic sheen when melted. I thought, oh, that's the metallic black! I don't think so. Maybe they are hades or moretti? Ugh, I just can't tell.

Please don't mind but I'm gonna be posting a lot of these types of questions as I'm pickling and labeling EVERYTHING.

Please help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2011-03-27, 3:28pm
geekitude on two wheels

Pull a fine stringer ( like hair thin) - hades and intense black will be black, regular effetre black will be purple when held to the light. Idk about met. black, regular effetre won't reduce like that tho.
Old 2011-03-27, 3:28pm
I fart diamonds

Regular Effetre is dark purple. You can see it if you pull a tiny point and hold it up to the light. Intense black is still black when you do that. 've never used Hades, so I have no input on that.

Old 2011-03-27, 3:30pm
I fart diamonds

Yeah. What Jen said. Except the part about regular black not reducing. It definitely does in some batches. That was one of the reasons I preferred Vetrofond.

Old 2011-03-27, 3:31pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Thanks guys.. I should have thought of that. Sometimes, I get so frustrated I get mindblocked, lol. So now I have to tell the differences in hades and intense black. Won't intense spread, like spiderwebs, on certain colors?

*+.+*
Old 2011-03-27, 3:32pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Yeah. What Jen said. Except the part about regular black not reducing. It definitely does in some batches. That was one of the reasons I preferred Vetrofond.
I think that's what is throwing me too. I think it was getting a metallic sheen to it, the regular black, that is. Metallic Black divits, right?

*+.+*
Old 2011-03-27, 4:24pm
Entropy increasing....

Pull a thin stringer and hold it up to the light. If it's purple it's Italian. If it's black it's CIM.
Old 2011-03-27, 4:41pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Pull a thin stringer and hold it up to the light. If it's purple it's Italian. If it's black it's CIM.
Even if it's intense black?

*+.+*
Old 2011-03-27, 4:53pm
I fart diamonds

Intense Black is black, even pulled thin.

Old 2011-03-27, 5:07pm
Uh Oh....

I can't tell the difference between intense black and Hades. They both look the same when pulled thin and they both bleed and web.

Old 2011-03-27, 5:37pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

So, will Hades web on ivory just as easily as intense? Or is this something that will happen after you work it a little?

*+.+*
Old 2011-03-27, 6:26pm
geekitude on two wheels

i haven't noticed a difference with hades and intense black either, except maybe the IB can be lumpy at times and hades hasn't been - but this might be a batch difference, I haven't bought a lot of IB so I'm not sure. They both seem to work about the same otherwise.
Old 2011-03-27, 6:31pm
Sheila Davis Designs

CIM Tuxedo is dark blue when pulled thin.( I've been working with it all day)

Old 2011-03-28, 12:11am
Unmedicated since '62

hades behaves exactly the same as effetre intense black
effetre black is dark purple
cim black (tuxedo) is dark blue

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-03-28, 3:37am

Doesn't hades react with silver?

For Val Cox Frit in the UK
For silver For my beads
Old 2011-03-28, 4:16am
Who me?

If you are having trouble seeing the color when pulled in a thin stringer, mix a small amount with white and stir together to see what color the white takes on.
Old 2011-03-28, 4:36am
More ideas than talent

Vetro black is supposed to be blue based.

I have also heard a rumor that blacks are more likely to bleed if your propane tank is less than half full.

Old 2011-03-28, 4:51am

I musta got ripped off because my intense black was purple when pulled thin. =/

Old 2011-03-28, 4:57am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna trial every single one, AGAIN, today. I think I've got it although hades and intense will give me some trouble, I'm sure, but we'll see. If I can't figure it out, I may be back.

*+.+*
Old 2011-03-28, 9:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredycat View Post
Doesn't hades react with silver?
It does. Hades wrapped with some silver and lightly reduced makes some pretty blues. I have no idea if IB does it too.

Old 2011-03-28, 9:11am
Ellyloo-YAH!

INtense black will get a silver sheen on it when reduced...haven't tried it on the rod, but my intense black frit always used to go silver on me to my frustration. (before I knew what i was doing)

Last edited by ellyloo; 2011-03-28 at 9:14am.
Old 2011-03-28, 10:52am
I'm meeeeelting

I find that intense black webs and hades does creates more of a halo when superheated.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-03-29, 8:49pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Ok, I wanted to let you all know the results of my testing. I'm so very proud I figured it out. First, I tested all the blacks on opalino white as I thought the translucency would help especially when coming down to hades and intense black. I was indeed correct. Of course, the moretti turned purple, which was expected. Hades on opalino white had sort of a hazy greenish border, sort of like a halo like Felicia said. Intense black did, in fact, web immediately on the opalino white and you could tell it was more of a dark, dark purple. I also found another color I thought was black all this time but who knows what the heck it is, lol. It looks black in rod form but on the opalino white it was a very pale grayish color, weird. I have to play around with that one some more to determine what it actually is.

*+.+*

Last edited by KarenBeth; 2011-03-29 at 8:49pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2011-03-29, 8:51pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Thank you all for your help!

*+.+*
Old 2011-03-29, 9:02pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
CIM Tuxedo is dark blue when pulled thin.( I've been working with it all day)
Hmmm...interesting! So it's not a green or muddy purple if blended with white, I'll bet! This I must try.