No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-06, 9:30am
aka Pele's Fire

Default cabochons mandrels

Anyone out there have any advice on how to apply glass to and how to use a cabochon mandrel? Thanks.

Terryl

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2009-05-06, 9:53am

Wow. I'm really out of the loop. I never heard of a cabochon mandrel. I always thought they were made on the end of a punty. I'm sure I could be mistaken.
Old 2009-05-23, 5:47pm

I have made a few cabs on mine. I wind the glass onto the little nub, not to the base of the mandrel. Then I get the glass really hot, and push it onto the base of the mandrel. Then wind more glass onto what I just applied, again not putting it directly on the mandrel base, push down and so on. That way avoids all the little spurs that can form.

Susan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-05-26, 8:58pm
Salt Box Beads

Sounds very interesting, where can I buy one of these cab mandrels??

Thank-you
Lorraine
Old 2009-05-27, 4:15am
aka Pele's Fire

At zoozii's. Here is the link. They are listed under inspirational mandrels.

http://www.zooziis.com/cabochonmandrels.aspx

Thanks,
Terryl

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2009-05-27, 8:22am
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you so much.
Lorraine
Old 2010-10-31, 11:41pm
don't burn your fingers!

I have a bunch of different shapes of mandrels that I make...I had a thread posted here, but it disappeared! I have oval, round, triangle, square...a bunch....I make it a point to not offer something that is already out there...If zooziis has the size you need, get it there...I am the only one I know of who makes and sells all of the different shapes. I think I have about 23 different ones right now. If you want a list or want to buy some, then PM me. They are $15 per mandrel plus shipping.
Old 2010-11-01, 12:12am
don't burn your fingers!

okay, I just wrote a mini tut, and the system kicked me off, then erased it....argh...let me copy and paste the one I include with all of my shipments.....

Cabochon Mandrel Instructions

Cabochon Mandrels are fun and easy to use. Many shapes and sizes are currently available, and new shapes are often on the horizon! The creative uses for a glass Cabochon are endless and include everything from beading to bezeling. Unlike standard bead mandrels, cabochon mandrels are designed to withstand heat and can be used over and over again. They can last for years if they are properly cared for.

Parts of the Mandrel

Mandrel Handle, Table Face, Back and Shoulder, Nib.

Applying the Bead Release

The first step in using the Cabochon Mandrel is to apply bead release. Dip the face of the Cabochon Mandrel in bead release, coating the entire Table Face and at least half of the Table Shoulder. While holding the mandrel upside down in an open container, twirl the Mandrel between the palms of the hands. The centrifugal force will create a smooth surface with the bead release. Let the release air dry completely before use.

Applying Glass to the Cabochon Mandrel

Hold the Table Face towards you and heat the surface thoroughly until it begins to glow. Apply the glass in a circular pattern around the Nib until the Table Face is covered completely all of the way to the Table Shoulder. Try not to get glass on the Table Shoulder.

Tip – While working in the flame, diligently continue to keep the Table Shoulder warm. This will prevent lifting of the glass.

Annealing

Follow the same annealing schedule you would normally use for a thick piece of glass or large bead.

Removing the glass cabochon from the Table Face

While holding the Mandrel Handle “gently tap” the back corner of the Table Shoulder multiple times against a hard surface. The glass Cabochon should loosen on its own and should fall off or can be removed by hand with a twisting motion. If the Cabochon does not loosen the first time, continue tapping until it separates.

Cleaning the Cabochon Mandrel
Once the glass Cabochon has been removed, a residue of bead release will remain on the Cabochon Mandrel. This can be removed with a wire brush that can be purchased at any hardware store. Although it is okay to wet the Cabochon Mandrel with water during cleaning, it should never be soaked. Once the Cabochon Mandrel is cleaned, it should be dried thoroughly.

Questions/ Comments? Email Scout from Handford Glass and Enamel Tools

Scout@dreamworksmetal.com

Last edited by Scout; 2010-11-01 at 12:15am. Reason: added instructions
Old 2010-11-01, 12:22am
don't burn your fingers!

I hope the instructions help! Please feel free to PM me or post here, I just saw this tonight! also, there is a thread with some pics of cabs made on my mandrels...let me see if I can find it...

try this

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=164417&page=2

Last edited by Scout; 2010-11-01 at 12:30am. Reason: added link
Old 2010-11-01, 12:36am
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by klcbeads View Post
Wow. I'm really out of the loop. I never heard of a cabochon mandrel. I always thought they were made on the end of a punty. I'm sure I could be mistaken.
You're not mistaken. You can make them freehand without a mandrel by smashing a blob of glass flat onto graphite and puntying that to work it
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2010-11-01, 7:16am
Katherine

Scout why do you think the cab should never be soaked? This does not make sense to me.

Old 2010-11-20, 6:34pm
don't burn your fingers!

well, you can definitely soak it if you want to..The instruction sheet was written originally by Pam, who was one of the people who got me started with making the cab mandrels. I still need to edit it, I was just posting it there for some basic information, I guess I missed the "never" soak it part. So, to clarify, and make sure that LE viewers receive good information I would correct that to: Absolutely soak it if you need to, just be aware that there may be traces of minor surface rust if it is soaked too long. This is because even food grade stainless steel has some "steel" in it. So, it is not faulty material, it is simply a trait of stainless steel. If anyone has further questions, or need further clarification, please let me know.
Thanks!!
Old 2010-11-20, 9:20pm
MacGalver

You can absolutely make some great off-mandrel cabs on punty's! There used to be a wonderful tut on striped cabs put up by LonerP, but I can't find it now. Maybe she will pop in and share it with us....

There's also some lovely cabochon inspiration here:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...light=cabochon

I'll be happy to answer any questions about cabs, as well. Feel free to PM me!

Jo